Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: How to minimiaze stall and a tire question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2008, 03:22 PM   #1

Default How to minimiaze stall and a tire question

Hi There,

I am a newbie to the crawling hobby and just got myself a CC.

I have noticed that when the front wheels lose traction on a climb some time the rear wheels don't move. I understand it is called Clod Stall - because the ESC acts as kind of differential and directs current to the less resisting path.

I have locked the rear steering to reduce the current drain to the rear servo and put the battery on the front servo. This helped a little and it climbs much better.

Any other things I can do to improve this?
As this is my first crawler I don't want to invest to much as I will probably go for a larger one as well (AX10 I believe).

The second question is regarding the tires, will larger 2.2 tires work on the CC? is he strong enough with the stock engines. I miss a little clearance and was hopping the larger tires will help. As they are glued I assume heating them to 100c or so should fre them up.

oooppps this already 3 questions

Thanks

Ilan
ilanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2008, 08:42 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

you can also help clod stall by putting a smaller pinion on the rear motor. smaller by on tooth. mine came stock with 11t pinions.
twisted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:52 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

if you switch your hubs around left and right u will get a little more gc. as there is a big side and a small side. put the small side down and you will get a little more gc. it dosnt hurt the steering either.
gigercreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

ilanB
Here are a few suggestions that work well.
1. Weight your front wheels. I recommend stick on lead weights. If you want to continue using the stock wheels and tires you can start by wrapping a stip of the stick on lead weight around the inside of the front wheel.
2. Relocate one of your battery packs to over the top of the front steering servo. You can use velcro, servo tape or there is an optional graphite battery plate you can purchase.
3.Install a 12t pinion on the front and leave the 11 in the rear.
4.Buy the Holmes Hobbies 454 motors.

You can run larger tires but will not help with the clod stall.

Good luck getting the tires off the wheels. I have not heard of anyone successfully getting the tires off the wheel.

J
Attached Images

jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:49 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

i got mine off rims . preheat oven to 300 put ties in for 30 to 40 min be carfull when the come out they are hot so use a towl or something . push down on the beads an they come rite off
randy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i have also found three spots in the axel housing to place wieghts one on the leftside in fornt of the dog bone. on the right behind the dog one. and one int the middle behind the pinion.
gigercreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:03 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy1 View Post
i got mine off rims . preheat oven to 300 put ties in for 30 to 40 min be carfull when the come out they are hot so use a towl or something . push down on the beads an they come rite off
I can't speak for the CC tires specifically, but the last set of glued tires I removed I boiled for about 7 minutes then stuck them in the freezer, worked pretty well for Mashers on WK wheels.
Trike Kid is offline   Reply With Quote