Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: how to cheaply fix the stall

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2009, 07:37 PM   #1

Default how to cheaply fix the stall

well i am new to this forum and i just want some advise on how to get the stall to go away on my cc i have the two batteries that dt said to use with it but when i get on a steep grade (sorry i no thats wrong ) it stalls i am already making some custom links with revo rod ends and thread rods for home depot P.S. i am very broke right now so new motors and stuff like that is pretty much out of the ?
perry1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Thats the same issue alot of us are tryiing to figure out. Ive tried wiring the motors, directly from the ESC to the rear, then using a smaller wire from the rear motor to the frnt. Didnt help at all. Running 1 battery on these stock motors is just plain stupid if you want any power. I even went as far as modding the rear housing to allow me to use a 9t pinion. It helped, but stall is still there. Now Im running a EVX2 ESC and dual batteries, which is still not helping. Next will be a Y harness, 2 LMC escs with drag brake and see how that turns out. I might even try the LMC motors. This is a tinker project and spending $120 on Holmes 454 motors is my absolute last option. Infact I will sell the damn thing before I drop more money in motors alone, then I gave for the brand new ARR shipped.

To some of these guys, money is no object. The buy 2 HH 454 motors comment is so played out and not a solution to the problem, just an extremely expensive fix.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 08:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The only way you can get rid of the stall is with 1 esc per motor on diferent channels, any other way , electrcity wil flow through the path of least resistance, all the other solutions are merely band aids, i have several twin motored rigs, super, 2.2 and the c.c. and i have learned to use it to my advantage.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:14 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Blackfoot-did you only change the rear pinion? I've heard if you lower the rear only, It will help with the stall? Someone in the club said that. He recommend to drop the rear gearing by 2 teeth. Matt
SDheavymetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Try doing a seach for Clod Stall in the Clod section.
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:08 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDheavymetal View Post
Blackfoot-did you only change the rear pinion? I've heard if you lower the rear only, It will help with the stall? Someone in the club said that. He recommend to drop the rear gearing by 2 teeth. Matt
Yes, 11t front and 9t rear. It helped, but still has it. I think the motors are just too weak.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:58 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
This is a tinker project and spending $120 on Holmes 454 motors is my absolute last option. Infact I will sell the damn thing before I drop more money in motors alone, then I gave for the brand new ARR shipped.

To some of these guys, money is no object. The buy 2 HH 454 motors comment is so played out and not a solution to the problem, just an extremely expensive fix.
I guess another option is for one of us cheap bastards to order up a couple of the other cheap ($12.99) Duratrax motors they now offer.:-P

I still have yet to install my 12t pinion up front to see how much that helps.
thunderwagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 04:57 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Add weight to the front. That has made the biggest difference....besides adding the Holmes Hobbies 454's (HIGHLY recommend the 454's)
J
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:09 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
Yes, 11t front and 9t rear. It helped, but still has it. I think the motors are just too weak.

Where did you find a 9 tooth pinion?
badtoy1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtoy1986 View Post
X2!
Where?
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

In a recent 3d I speak about my problems with the stock motors. My conclusion is that they completely lack speed and torque too. I have 2 esc and they should be good, they are sidewinder micro, but I have the same problem in the rear that sometimes goes into a stall. I'm quite irritated by that because if I want to use my cliff as a decent crawler I have to buy new motors, but if I get more torque I put at risk the plastic gears, so I have to upgrade to metal ones. In a few words I would have spent less money buying two berg axles

Bye
Filippo
setecastronomy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:37 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Do new motors fix this prob? And how are the optional motors from Duratrax, the cc-8500 and the cc-11k?
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:45 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

This is the best motor Ive found.
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=17&page=1
jdawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 07:27 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

THANKS, but the price of those. The optional motors from Duratrax are only $12. I know that u get what u pay for. But are those motors any better than stock?
racenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

The optional motors you mention are actually faster than stock(read worse stall than before) as for the jrh motors all i can say is they have awesome gear snapping torque.
Old 06-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #16
RCC Addict

If cheap is your goal, try banebots.com and look for the 390 motors. $13 shipped for both. I still stall with them on 7.2V though.
Jamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:15 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badtoy1986 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
X2!
Where?