Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: geting glued tires off of the rim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #1

Default geting glued tires off of the rim

a friend of mine said to boil the tires i tried that and it didnt works does anyone esle no of a different method or do i have to break off with some money ???
perry1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry1234 View Post
a friend of mine said to boil the tires i tried that and it didnt works does anyone esle no of a different method or do i have to break off with some money ???
I used my wife's hairdryer. Set on high heat and with gloved hands I was able to break the beads. You have to be patient.

Good Luck

Andrew
vltchkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I have never had much luck boiling tires to get them off the wheels. The method that has proven itself most to me, is by turning your oven up to 450 F. Let it get to temp. (about 20 min or so). Place wheels and tires on a cookie sheet. Turn off oven and pop in the tires. Leave em in for a good half hour or till the wife kicks your ass cause it smells so bad. Get a spoon and start pushin tire off the wheel. Use a towel to hold them cause they will be hot. This method has never failed me, however, I have heard these tires are glued like a mofo.
thunderwagn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #4

I used CA glue Solvent. purchased it at my LHS for around $4. glue becomes tacky and you can get them off of the rim with moderate ease. plus you dont run the risk of melting the tire or rim if you want to reuse them.
Lestats Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 10:06 AM   #5

thanks for the advice
perry1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

i did the oven trick baked um till i could smell them which was like 25 min at 375 then threw them in the freezer for 2 min them pulled apart under cool water
gigercreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

you dont wanna save the tires do you?
phase10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:41 PM   #8

you get a sealed container larger than the wheel and tires, cut the bottom section of a coke can and sit that in the bottom of the container, sit the rim and tire on the can and pour acetone into the container. don't let the tire or rim touch the acetone, the can should be high enough to be clear.
put the lid on and leave it about 6-12 hours and the tires should just peel off.

only downside is that if you leave it too long and have cheapo rims they will melt.

i know people who just soak them in acetone to melt the glue, but the vapour method is way less messy. after you peel the tire off you just wash of the broken down glue.
obzelite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Acetone has worked for me in the past.
BUGGYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:15 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Well, my method basically scraps the tires. But they do get it off with a bit of work. Cut the tire where the bead is on the tire. Then get a exacto knife to run the edges. And now the hard part. to get down into the bead, if you can find a chisel small enough, you can basically scrape out the remaining bits of the tire on the rim. I've done it with sucess. No boiling, no baking, harsh chemicals or anything. Just good, hard work. lol.
Bow3022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM   #11
Custom Carbon Fiber

Nail polish can be safer on plastic wheels.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:51 PM   #12

My luck I always get to forceful and crack the rim or something and then it's off to the hobbyshop for a new set. Thats how I get tires off the rim.
Unknown303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:53 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I keep a gallon of acetone in a 5 gallon paint bucket. There are some bricks inside that I set the tires on so they don't get wet. After a day or so, the fumes will dissolve the CA.

Keep the lid on and keep it out of the house and you will be fine. Tires, foams and wheels all reusable.

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

It would be easier if they didn't glue the tires on so well. You could snap the wheel of rip the tire off before the bead will break. Thats how all pre-glued tires from duratrax are. They are made to not come apart. They do a good job of that too.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:45 AM   #15

i have been using ascetone for ever on buggy and truggy tires. good way to go. foams are toast afterwords. but good other than that.
zipher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Default Deform-odity

Knowing what I know of plastic molding (enough to be dangerous) I would say the mold for these CC tires is a two up or more cavity.

That's the answer, the tale around the question is:
Heated the oven to 400deg. Turned off, placed CC rims and tires on a foil covered cookie sheet and let them soak in the hear for 15mins.
Removed them, and the tires were ready to just peel of the wheels.

Pulled all four off in the same manner and let them cool.

Now two tires look normal.
Two tires are normal on one edge, and about 1/2" larger diameter on the other?!?!

Last edited by sweli; 03-01-2009 at 02:46 PM.
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote