Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Simplified mods for an awesome CC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Simplified mods for an awesome CC

After all my fiddling with 3 cliff climbers, this is what I have discovered:

the stock ESC is pretty good and will take some abuse, it just doesn't have a drag brake

The banebots 390 motors, http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M5-RS390-12, work great on 9 cells with minimal stall and even the stock gears will live at this power level. For experienced crawlers, 10-12 cells is recommended, but be careful or you'll eat gears. You will need to mount the upper links on the OUTSIDE on the axle mounts for clearance for these motors, but no other mods are required to use these motors.

Using traxxas turnbuckles, P/N 5538, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKME9&P=7, on the lower links clocks the axles almost perfectly, and they have lots of flex due to the type of hollow ball used which allows the links to pivot more. They are also very strong, and probably overkill for this application from a strength standpoint.

Using a hitec HS-645MG, http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXUZ89&P=ML, with no servo saver for the front steering greatly improves steering at an economical price, especially for those who have locked out the rear steering.

For 9 cells, I used cheapbatterypacks.com 6 cell elite 1500 packs, , and cut one pack in half and soldered it to the deans connector. Stock connectors will also work fine, since these motors really don't use a lot of current. Expect AT LEAST 20 minutes of run time. I servo-taped the 3 cell pack to the top of the front steering servo.

For those who want to keep the rear steering, the aforementioned HS-645MG steering in the front is opposite rotation from the stock futaba servos, and allows you to mount the rear servo saver/horn pointing DOWN and throw away that stupid spacer on the rear steering. No servo reverser required.

After trying all kinds of crazy stuff, these mods emerged as simple, inexpensive, and easy way to DRAMATICALLY improve the crawling performance of the Cliff Climber.

Finally, adding a custom painted Pro-Line Helios body gives you lots of clearance for larger 2.2" tires, and seriously, who doesn't like Halo 3?
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2009, 12:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Great job on presenting the info in a clear and simple way.
Lots easyer to read this one post than months of trial and error, thanks for going through all the work and cash to help us all out.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

X 2 for me! Many thanks for a very valuable, informative summary; WELL DONE!
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 08:56 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thanks you have made me want one even more.
nuke24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:06 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

nice info way to go i just wish you would have posted it in my thread but hey its up now right and thats all that matters these little trucks are great they just need a little help WAY TO GO THANKS !
leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 08:09 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
nice info way to go i just wish you would have posted it in my thread but hey its up now right and thats all that matters these little trucks are great they just need a little help WAY TO GO THANKS !
Someone should sticky this.

How are the 390's with metal gears on (12) 1200 cells (duratrax 2/3A 1200 packs)? And whats a good esc with a drag brake that will do good with them?
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #7

Thanks for realy great info!

I'm a real newbee from Norway who bought my CC for the MOA setup, but most of all because "nobody else" here has it. I will keep on reading everything I find here on this forum. And again....THANKS!

-Frode-
El mecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by InFlames View Post
Someone should sticky this.

How are the 390's with metal gears on (12) 1200 cells (duratrax 2/3A 1200 packs)? And whats a good esc with a drag brake that will do good with them?
I just got my metal gears in today, Tower had my address wrong and the postman sent them back, leaving me waiting 4 weeks to finally get my gears! I have been ordering stuff from Tower for over 4 years with no problems, and then they changed my address? WTF? OK, I'm done ranting about that. I will find out how well the metal gears hold up soon, and I think the Mamba Max is probably the best ESC for the CC. It handles 12 cells(look at Castle's site, Tower has the wrong ratings), has a drag brake, you can plug it into your laptop to adjust it, and I have had fewer problems with Castle ESC's than any other brand.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the info I'm going to do these mods to my CC
griz2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:34 PM   #10

so what is this talk about drag brake? I am using the stock esc and it seems to work pretty well for me. What are the advantages of drag brake?
furiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by furiousgeorge View Post
so what is this talk about drag brake? I am using the stock esc and it seems to work pretty well for me. What are the advantages of drag brake?
A drag brake applies the brakes while the throttle is in the neutral position. It makes climbing easier because your truck doesn't roll down a steep slope when you stop.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:40 AM   #12

Default Simplified mods for an........

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
After all my fiddling with 3 cliff climbers, this is what I have discovered:

the stock ESC is pretty good and will take some abuse, it just doesn't have a drag brake

The banebots 390 motors, http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M5-RS390-12, work great on 9 cells with minimal stall and even the stock gears will live at this power level. For experienced crawlers, 10-12 cells is recommended, but be careful or you'll eat gears. You will need to mount the upper links on the OUTSIDE on the axle mounts for clearance for these motors, but no other mods are required to use these motors.

I have tried to contakt banebots to ask if they ship to Norway, no response so far. I have even tried to create an account, but cant because the form dont aprove "outside US" in the location field. Anyone with an suggestion for how to get hold of the motors to my CC?
Old 04-30-2009, 08:39 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Spartacus,
I know you recommend 9 cells for the Banebots motors, but is there noticeable improvement over stock with just 6, or does it take at least 9 to see the improvement?
Old 04-30-2009, 12:26 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by El mecco View Post
I have tried to contakt banebots to ask if they ship to Norway, no response so far. I have even tried to create an account, but cant because the form dont aprove "outside US" in the location field. Anyone with an suggestion for how to get hold of the motors to my CC?
I have got my answer from Banebots.
Old 04-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by El mecco View Post
I have got my answer from Banebots.
Glad to hear it! Hope they work out for you.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
Spartacus,
I know you recommend 9 cells for the Banebots motors, but is there noticeable improvement over stock with just 6, or does it take at least 9 to see the improvement?
It's kinda weak on just 6 cells. It really does need 9 or 10 cells for good performance. I think the banebots motors on 6 cells are about the same TORQUE as the stock motors on 12 cells, but they're slower.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Okay, thanks. I was just hoping I could get them and use 6 cells so I could keep my packs for my Mini Quake. Guess it's about time to order more batteries!
Old 05-05-2009, 02:16 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

Great info. I have ordered several of your suggestion.
griz2575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:51 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Spartacus, have you had a chance to see how the metal gears hold up to the banebots? I am worried about not being able to get the main gear in metal; don't know why you can get all of them but it? Wondering if the banebots on 10 or 12 cells with the metal gears will still strip out the remaining plastic one or if it somehow survives.
Thanks again for all your help on this thread!
Old 05-05-2009, 08:18 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by papabash View Post
I am worried about not being able to get the main gear in metal; don't know why you can get all of them but it?
Im pretty sure you can find the main gear in metal off the DTX website. There are only three gears in total, and there are three different metal gears offered on their CC option parts page.

Third Row, Middle Column.
http://www.duratrax.com/cars/dtxd18-...ion-parts.html

Last edited by BrokenBooks; 05-05-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Misdirection
BrokenBooks is offline   Reply With Quote