Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Getting started on new links...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Getting started on new links...

First, allow me to publically thank 73fordhighboy... Kurt, you are the man, Thank you! he sent me all the supplies and tools to build some custom links.

So I've started the project... what a perfect day for it too, it's raining over here in Iraq, making desert soup, perfect for staying indoors and building, and drinking hot wassel.

For the uppers I'm shooting for ~114mm eye center to center, and bent lowers ~120 eye center to center. Should net me right around 12 1/4 inches at full droop, and correct the bad steering angles.

I'll get pics and upload when they are done, and in a week when things dry out here again, I'll get to try it out on the rocks.
artsifrtsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Here's what Kurt sent... (Took pic after assembling a few links, so some tube and rod ends aren't there)

Upper Links...

Lower Links...

This is w/o shocks... about 170 deg of articulation...

How she looks now, and what the final ride height will be...

And from the rear...

Last edited by artsifrtsi; 02-06-2010 at 12:13 PM. Reason: description
Old 02-07-2010, 11:22 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looking good cant wait to see it in action
73fordhighboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

love the droop. i've gotta search for a thread on drooping the CC.
Ramset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 10:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Lookin great. Good job on the links, should crawl awesome. 73fordhighboy rocks for sending you everything you needed to make them. It's great to see members helping each other. Keep up the good work.
doubletrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:34 AM   #6
RCC Addict

That was a wicked thing you did 73fordhighboy, very nice to help out a brother in need. Looks great man!!
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:23 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramset View Post
love the droop. i've gotta search for a thread on drooping the CC.
AFAIK I am the only one running droop. Initially all i did was remove the springs, and move the upper shock mounts back one hole at the chassis. Now I'm waiting on some JunFac G-transition 80mm droop shocks http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=269 . the DT bent links really helped to keep it from getting hung up at the belly, I don't know how the stock plastic ones would have worked.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

This forum, and it's members have helped me out so much with both of my crawlers that i went ahead and bought a star!
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsifrtsi View Post
AFAIK I am the only one running droop. Initially all i did was remove the springs, and move the upper shock mounts back one hole at the chassis. Now I'm waiting on some JunFac G-transition 80mm droop shocks http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...roducts_id=269 . the DT bent links really helped to keep it from getting hung up at the belly, I don't know how the stock plastic ones would have worked.
you are a Cavalier! I have loved getting to know your builds since becoming a newbie. Tanks lot!
Ramset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

hey jude, so hows the build going? really interested on the droop suspension. i cant seem to get it to work. shhh its on my ax10. it keeps unloading on side hills. the barely a droop on my duraturd's (2 coils cut) integys, works great. i guess it's the shafty thing?
Old 02-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Kurt,
One of my guys out here has a drooped ax10 with the same issue... I think with his it just needs heavier shock oil, maybe a slightly stiffer spring. Check your link geometry... for me it works best keeping the upper links as parallel to the ground as I can, on the Cliffy my uppers form a straight line from the front axle to the rear. There is very little side to side play on the axles, and the little bit there is, is just because all link ends need a tiny bit so they swivel. (considerably less slop than the stock links with those Revo link ends ;) ) try getting as much weight off of the chassis, and either on the axles or on the links... try to keep the majority of the weight below the top/center of the tires. Also don't forget that too much flex will hurt your side-hilling, as it will be much easier to unload the suspension. The Cliffy will be going through some trials when the shocks get here, going to be experimenting with a few ideas for link mount locations on both the body and the axles.

When does your AX10 unload, is it more with the drivers side higher than the passenger side, or vice versa? Does it seem to be more when you are applying a bit more throttle, or does it do it at a steady crawl too? I know the AX10's are known for torque twist, could be that. (one of the other reasons why I am building a LCC for me... when I get back home, the Cliffy will be my daughters comp rig, so i gotta set it up right)

Ramset,
Wow, I've never been called that... I really never thought that I was doing anything really too noteworthy... I guess I'll need to take more pics and post more on changes then! Thanks for the compliment, and I'll try to keep coming up with new and improved ideas!
Old 02-11-2010, 11:15 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

she'll do it anytime. mostly working with? the twist. spoke with my buddy, he said that i have too much upward travel on the shock. i need to keep the shock compressed. internal springs are next and different weight fluids

i've got to get some video up of my backyard rockpile. some very tough lines, steep, lots places places for that thing to unload. not a problem for the cliffy, since she is pretty much a sprung rig.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

AS the Beastie Boys would say "slow and low that is the tempo". Looks sick dude.
FlexdXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsifrtsi View Post

Those shocks are sweet. May have to get me a set if you like them.
FlexdXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Didin't really get too much of a chance to run her last night... 5 minutes into the run I spun the stock main gear output cup on the dog bone... oops, knew I left some plastic somewhere... From the couple lines that I was able to get in before she went 3 wheel drive, she seemed to crawl MUCH better. I do think I'm going to go towards a top shock mount similar to the ones on the LCC to get the shocks a bit more upright though...

Here's a shot of Cliffy wearing everything new before the breakage...