RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Duratrax Cliff Climber (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/duratrax-cliff-climber/)
-   -   DCC w/ AX10 shocks (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/duratrax-cliff-climber/355326-dcc-w-ax10-shocks.html)

Josh_Br 12-22-2011 10:45 AM

DCC w/ AX10 shocks

2 Attachment(s)
I used to have a Duratrax Cliff Climber. I made some simple aluminum brackets that extended the shock mounting area. Then I put AX10 shocks on it, with really light springs. The former owner also extended the lower control arms.

When I first bought the rig, I noticed that the articulation of the axles was limited by the small amount of shock travel. Thus the reason for the longer shocks. After the mod, it flexed like crazy! :mrgreen:

I just joined this forum, and saw there is a Cliff Climber section, so I thought I would share this for anyone looking for ideas to modify their DCC. I did not have too much money into it, either. A strip of 3' x 3/4" x 1/8" aluminum, a couple small nuts and bolts, Axial AX-10 shocks, and some brand of aftermarket light springs. Well, maybe it was around $40 or $50. Anyhow, here are a couple pictures of it:

Attachment 210061

Attachment 210062

Thanks,
JB

FlatwaterMG 12-22-2011 02:42 PM

Re: DCC w/ AX10 shocks

Thanks for the idea, I still have my C.C. and have been diddling with the articulation and shock location. It is a easy platform to work with.

Josh_Br 12-23-2011 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlatwaterMG (Post 3462489)
Thanks for the idea, I still have my C.C. and have been diddling with the articulation and shock location. It is a easy platform to work with.

Sure, no problem. I wish I still have the pictures of during the build process and with the body off, but I think I deleted them.

Do you know what the story is with DCC's? I tried looking for one on eBay, thinking of my son, but there was not one to be had. Can they still be found to purchase?

Rockfrog 12-23-2011 10:56 AM

I haven't seen any for a while now ... I was looking for one (for parts or another tinker project) about a montha ago.

Josh_Br 12-23-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfrog (Post 3464274)
I haven't seen any for a while now ... I was looking for one (for parts or another tinker project) about a montha ago.

Hey I clicked your links, your tube buggy crawler is sweet! Very cool.

Rockfrog 12-23-2011 01:40 PM

Thanks ... been out of Rc for a while (18mos or so) just getting back into things ... lots of rebuilds in order.

this is my Cliff Climber

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/durat...er-update.html

Josh_Br 12-23-2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfrog (Post 3464603)
Thanks ... been out of Rc for a while (18mos or so) just getting back into things ... lots of rebuilds in order.

this is my Cliff Climber

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/durat...er-update.html

That makes me wish I still had my Cliff Climber :cry:. That's about par for all of my RC stuff...wish I still had it. Getting back into it now with an AX-10. Anyhow, I really like your lengthened wheelbase. It looks very cool. I also like how you can kill the rear motor to do a front dig. Very sweet.

christopher 12-23-2011 08:31 PM

kinda thinking about selling mine or trading it off for a diffrent crawler i like the single motor setups better

Josh_Br 12-24-2011 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher (Post 3465410)
kinda thinking about selling mine or trading it off for a diffrent crawler i like the single motor setups better

I can relate. However, I was thinking about trying to find an inexpensive Cliff Climber for my son to drive. If you decide to sell it, please let me know how much you are asking.

Rockfrog 12-24-2011 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh_Br (Post 3464630)
That makes me wish I still had my Cliff Climber :cry:. That's about par for all of my RC stuff...wish I still had it. Getting back into it now with an AX-10. Anyhow, I really like your lengthened wheelbase. It looks very cool. I also like how you can kill the rear motor to do a front dig. Very sweet.

Thanks, as for wish I had ... I still have them all ... wife calls me a packrat.
I may have to unload a few down the road, but I got too many projects in my head to do that.
I was actually surprised at how many parts for these are actually still available from Tower and on ebay.
I've always liked the looks of the stock body. Too bad mine won't fit anymore.
It's currently down with a twisted front shaft, but I have the CVD's to replace them with (and 4 sets of spare dogbones just in case).
for a cheap crawler I was surprised at how well it actually worked.

Josh_Br 12-25-2011 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockfrog (Post 3466547)
Thanks, as for wish I had ... I still have them all ... wife calls me a packrat.
I may have to unload a few down the road, but I got too many projects in my head to do that.
I was actually surprised at how many parts for these are actually still available from Tower and on ebay.
I've always liked the looks of the stock body. Too bad mine won't fit anymore.
It's currently down with a twisted front shaft, but I have the CVD's to replace them with (and 4 sets of spare dogbones just in case).
for a cheap crawler I was surprised at how well it actually worked.

That's great you still have yours, I think I am slowly learning not to be so quick to sell off toys.