RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   Kaetwo's Tekin FX-R Review... (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/105316-kaetwos-tekin-fx-r-review.html)

Col_Sanders 04-03-2008 07:05 PM

You can set it up without a programmer. It has a few buttons on it and LEDs. Stormer hobbies had them yesterday and they were also the lowest price I could find

norcallump 04-03-2008 07:20 PM

Thanks Col. can I have that extra crispy with a side of mac and cheese?

kaetwo 04-03-2008 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcallump (Post 1125795)
Can you set up brake drag with out programmer? Do most people like it better than the novak crawler? Im getting away from my brushless, and need to something that will like the crawlmaster im 'bout to order

Yes, you can setup the drag brake without the PC link. It has several settings (1-11) built in. This allows you to setup your ESC in the field. Then if you want to fine tune the ESC you can set it up to the Hotwire and go from there. I've found however that the setting built in work great for me ;-)

As far as people liking this over the Novak Crawler....I am not going to speak against any ESC manufacture here. Both Novak and Castle Creations where instramental in getting the Crawling ESC's to us in our small crawler market and for that I have not bad to say about them. I personally looked for an ESC to fit all my requirements and Tekin did it.....In every case.

I hope this helps.

8)

norcallump 04-04-2008 06:46 PM

your my hereo kaetwo!

canadianjeeper 04-06-2008 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanis (Post 1119612)
Sweetness!!"thumbsup"

Are you running off of the BEC in the FX-R, or using a voltage reg?
I run 10 cell packs(2/3A), and thinking if I pull the red wire in the FX-R and run off of the CCBEC, I can get away with it and not blow it up with that much voltage.

hows it running w/ a 10 cell pack ? its says on the website its max cells are 9.

BDR 04-07-2008 06:10 AM

G'day all

Just got my FX-R, i read that it will run 3s Lipo, but in the instructions it say's 2s lipo, which is right?

Has any one run with a 3 cell lipo yet?, and what happened?

Thank's
Chris

Ty@Tekin 04-07-2008 09:28 AM

We only warranty 2S, I'm going to talk it over with everyone here on how we're going to handle 3S with lathe motors and such, it seems to handle it fine.

I'll let you know guys!

kaetwo 04-07-2008 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDR (Post 1130574)
G'day all

Just got my FX-R, i read that it will run 3s Lipo, but in the instructions it say's 2s lipo, which is right?

Has any one run with a 3 cell lipo yet?, and what happened?

Thank's
Chris

Please look over the entire review as I go over this ;-)

If you have any other further questions, I'm happy to help.

8)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin (Post 1130704)
We only warranty 2S, I'm going to talk it over with everyone here on how we're going to handle 3S with lathe motors and such, it seems to handle it fine.

I'll let you know guys!

I would be very interested in this. I spoke with Scooter and he said that Tekin would honor the warranty for those using a 3-Cell with the crawler motors.

Please keep us posted ;-)

Zken 04-07-2008 05:15 PM

Well if your running the ESC with these 35T,45T,55T motors you should be fine. At 3s you are not getitng a 3amp BEC anymore, just keep an eye on your heat as it'd get hot really fast with those big servos yanking on it.

We'll look at any failures from the rock crawling community individualy just so we can better ourselves in the application and for further development. We aren't seeing any failures due to abusive actions as a matter of fact I can't recall any failures period coming in from the crawler community.

In short yes we'll honor the warranty on a reviewed, individual basis. "thumbsup"

Jack Smash 04-07-2008 05:50 PM

I ran my FX-R on 3 cell lipo with a 45turn at the BPRCA comp on Saturday. Worked absolutely flawless. I ran it with a Castle S-Bec so I couldn't tell you how it worked with my big servos on that part, but the throttle is super smooth from bottom to top, the min drive speed is very low, and the drag brake is solid. I ran it on 65% and for a demo after the comp I set the rear wheels on a ledge with the rest of the rig dangling over and the brake held it there. I might dial it down a little because it seemed a bit locky for me but its nice to have that ability.

kaetwo 04-07-2008 05:52 PM

Out of curiosity how would changing the battery voltage change the amps of the BEC? I thought the BEC throttled down the amps to 3 regardless of the battery used.

I was also curious if the 3 Cell cutoff built into the FX-R functions as it should. I have not had any problems myself but I was just curious to know if we should pay attention to this as well.

Thanks for the clarification.

8)

JohnRobHolmes 04-07-2008 05:53 PM

The amperage out and voltage in are directly and inversely proportional.

If Tekin assumes 7.2v in to get 3a out at 6v we can do a little math to figure the rest out. A linear BEC bleeds the extra voltage as heat, so with a higher input voltage comes more heat. What Tekin is really telling us is the average wattage that the BEC circuit can dissipate as heat.

Wattage = Amps x Volts

7.2v-6v = 1.2v difference
3a of load
1.2x3 =3.6 watts (of heat)

11.1v input-6v = 5.1v
3.6w/5.1v = 0.706 amps out to make the same heat

So if you run a 3 cell lipo you will have less than an amp available. You could run a CC BEC to get your steering power back because it is a switching regulator and does not have such losses.

chrisjlittle 04-07-2008 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 1131364)

If Tekin assumes 7.2v in to get 3a out at 6v we can do a little math to figure the rest out. A linear BEC bleeds the extra voltage as heat, so with a higher input voltage comes more heat. What Tekin is really telling us is the average wattage that the BEC circuit can dissipate as heat.

Wattage = Amps x Volts

3a of load

11.1v input-6v = 5.1v

So if you run a 3 cell lipo you will have less than an amp available. You could run a CC BEC to get your steering power back because it is a switching regulator and does not have such losses.

Good to know. Aren't switching regulators also a lot more efficient than a linear regulator? I don't know what kind of effect this would have on runtime, but if it made it better it would be nice.

kaetwo 04-07-2008 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 1131364)

Wattage = Amps x Volts

3a of load

11.1v input-6v = 5.1v

Thanks for taking the time to explain that "thumbsup"

Sounds like I need to grab another CC BEC ;-)

JohnRobHolmes 04-07-2008 06:05 PM

Switching are more efficient when the wanted voltage drop is more than 10-15%. With a 3s lipo they are certainly more efficient.

JohnRobHolmes 04-07-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin (Post 1130704)

I'll let you know guys!

I can help you out with the ratings if you need. It will of course be dependent on vehicle weight and wind, but we could get some general guidlines going. A 35t only turns 1500kv, so it isn't exactly a hot motor.

Tanis 04-07-2008 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canadianjeeper (Post 1129194)
hows it running w/ a 10 cell pack ? its says on the website its max cells are 9.

I haven't picked one up yet, I was just gathering intel in case I do"thumbsup"

extreme 04-07-2008 09:40 PM

has ayone ran this combo with a 3c pack and aa 7 turn cobalt puller?

i really want to run this setup :twisted:

kaetwo 04-07-2008 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extreme (Post 1131822)
has ayone ran this combo with a 3c pack and aa 7 turn cobalt puller?

i really want to run this setup :twisted:

Just Zach is running it with a 10T but I have not seen anyone try the 7T.......It's time for you to step up to the plate :lol:

JohnRobHolmes 04-07-2008 09:42 PM

I will give it a shot when I get mine, but your throttle finger will probably dictate whether it works more than anything.