Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 7T Cobalt Puller...you need one.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 11:34 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 7T Cobalt Puller...you need one.

I had to post because this motor is unreal. I'm new to this hobby and still learning lots but this is one of the best things I've bought for my crawler. Did a lot of reading.

I wanted more wheelspeed with the same slow low speed control that I had with my 55t integy motor. And it seemed like it was one or the other until I read about the puller motors from Holmes Hobbies. I'm running the 7T puller with a mamba max and 9cell 1500 elite pack ax-10 tranny and axles with stock gearting. I may need capacitors because I had some glitching issues but I stuffed all my electronics in quckly for a comp and that is most likely the issue...maybe someone will chime in to let me know if they are needed with this motor...my noobness exposed :-P.

Nobody at the comp made this line. It was steep and wet with an irritating ledge right at the base of it. I didn't make it either but I'm sure I could have with more time and pulling off the throttle at the right time...really it's a new level of crawling IMO. I was so used to full throttle assaults where now I have to learn to let off the gas because there can be too much wheelspeed .

This was the climb, it was wet, near virtacle ledge at the base and muddy:

You can see how fast it gets going. It jumps on it almost instantly...this thing is unreal.

Holmes Hobbies sticker gets a spot on my lid . Had to rotate the pic and you can see that if I was more used to it I could have probably let off the gas and then crawled the rest of the way up. Letting off of the throttle is the hard part cause it's so fun

And another video messin around....just the sound of it makes me wanna skip work tomorrow to play with it again.

And I placed 3rd out of 25. Without glitching I may have been able to take second because it cost me a few gates.

Thanks for a wicked product and great service. He was quick to respond to my emails (had some tracking number issues with no updates on shipping, more of a usps issue) and shipped it out quickly. You'll see a few orders come in from up here soon I'm sure.

Last edited by miller; 02-18-2008 at 12:28 AM.
miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-2008, 04:53 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Oh...you're supposed to hit the markers...I have been doing it all wrong... :-P J/K

Great performance from that motor. I love the crawl and then balls to the wall wheel speed.
Rckcrwlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:20 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

That is pretty funny Miller, I was just going to ask how the 7T acts with that same pack!! I know what is going in my Scaler Now
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:53 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You know it isn't an advantage when everybody has one

Thanks for the vids. Mind if I link them on my site for others to see?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:30 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rckcrwlr View Post
Oh...you're supposed to hit the markers...I have been doing it all wrong... :-P J/K
the style of comp we run up here is a bit different. Cones are penalties but the idea of the comp is to be able to make it through the gates with at least three tires. You are rewarded by being able to make a gate (most points wins)...if you don't hit any cones along the way then that's even better but the challenge is making the gates and less cone dodging. So you end up with a comp where every gate is a hard obstacle, even some that nobody has made before so it pushes people to build their stuff better and drive better. It's modeled after our 1:1 comps up here..kind of like a tuff truck challenge..you do or you don't make the gate and cone dodging helps to spread the points to avoid ties. There are also bonus gates for the brave lol. So alot of the time hitting one cone will make the difference between placing. They've been a ton of fun.

The moral of the story is that nobody made the gate...so even if you blow both cones if you get three tires through and nobody's made the gate it makes a big difference in the end. Just for anyone that might have been curious how the comp was working..if anyone :-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Thanks for the vids. Mind if I link them on my site for others to see?
Haha sorry cat's out of the bag! What's going to be next

No problem...I am actually meeting with a "client" who crawls too so we're going out for a "meeting" this morning and I'll have some better video up showing it crawling and then hammering down this afternoon.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

*drools* i want one!! thx for the vids man they are a ton of help..cant wait to see the new vids
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 10:48 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Cool vids, and wicked motor!

You should include some video of it running flat-out full speed on flat ground in your next video. I wanna see how fast these things could be for uses other than crawling...

Last edited by JavelinSST390; 02-18-2008 at 10:50 AM.
JavelinSST390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 12:18 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post

Im feeling your happiness and excitement about the puller. Mine is the best thing since prostitution! But I would advise no one else to buy one of these as the crawler scene does not need to be flooded with these motors. Thanks JRH but please stop the pre order sales of these.
cyberhog05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 08:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Man this thing is fun. So what broke? Pulled an ax-10 rod end out. Broke 2 traxxas rod ends, a plastic c. Popped the rear driveshaft 3 or 4 times and they have the shock ring ca'd around them. I'm going to rebuild with rustlers and see how they hold up. Cracked front housing of my towerpro mg945. I relocated my antenna and it fixed my glitching issues.

One thing about this motor is that the magnets are so strong you can turn your drag brake way down. I had mine set at 80 with my 55lathe. Dropped it down to 60 and it's still full hold on near virticle..and I'm running alot of weight. I'm going to drop it down to 30 and see how that works for me. Pretty much everything I broke were on jumps and I'm pretty sure it was because of my drag brake....on some of the jumps I would hammer down and then let off when I landed....which was at like full brake so all the momentum would just carry through the front end....

So when you jump you need to keep the throttle mashed or turn down your drag brake so it can roll into your landing. I got the hang of it after a while.

So...aluminum c's and beefy rod ends are in the works....and I think I'm going to go 3 cell lipo so that I can get more run time out of it with lots of throttle. I can't believe I haven't broken an axle shaft yet...and I'm just waiting for my locker to go......never had so much fun braking stuff .

So here's the first jump...and you can see the air to "slammed on brakes". I think that's where I cracked my c...we didnt see it untill later...when I really cracked it. There were two cracks. It's unreal how fast it gets going..you just creep up to what you want to jump off.....and launch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZODhnTL-Bjg

Then here...crawls just like a 55turn lathe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkiCigfDMrk

Here you can see the start up on a steep steep climb. Has no issues starting up. That's with mamba max at 60% drag brake. It's not rolling back the tires are slipping on the face of the rock. On my truck I have 11oz in each tire of lead rope, I have an 8 cell saddle pack on the front axle a 7 cell pack under my hood, a 9 cell pack in the rear that I'm running off. So it's heavy. And I might add that the batteries are there so I can just plug in and keep going. The 9 cell was thrown on to try the new motor out and the others are semipermanently mounted so I didn't bother to take them off. They are all going to be replaced with a 3300 3 cell lipo so I can get lots of run time with lots of wheel speed .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5PykvNFS1g

And the grand finale...we were having battery issues with the camera so we didn't know if we got this...you'll hear our supprise. I think this was our second jump we tried...not used to seeing a crawler in the air or jumping another crawler lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXc_AaYmvfA

I would really recomend running this with a mamba max so you can adjust the drag brake. On say a rooster crawler that has full brake the strain that's being put by massive amounts of wheel speed with weight in the wheels to dead stop is going to take a toll. Also remember when you jump to stay on the gas when you land so your servo and rod ends don't absorb a full brake landing...hope my towerpro servos arrive soon

The verdict.... HELL YAH!

Oh and while you're watching videos this is badger's 7t..don't know how I missed this one but it's wicked.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJS4c...eature=related

Last edited by miller; 02-18-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 08:58 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

i saw everything today !! that motor is freakin insane...just gotta be there to believe it ! its crawls and has wheelspeed...

cant imagine what a lipo will do !
canadianjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #11
'08 2.2 National Champ

Try it with a Tekin FX-R, you'll be even happier with the drag brake. The Cobalt motors are tons of fun.
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Very nice! Impressive performance!
kwkride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I think I found my next motor But what's the difference between the 5, 7, and 10T? i.e. Is the 10T the slowest and the 7T the middle ground like other brushed motors as the winds increase?

Last edited by Thundermaxx; 02-19-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Thundermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:06 PM   #14
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundermaxx View Post
I think I found my next motor But what's the difference between the 5, 7, and 10T? i.e. Is the 10T the slowest and the 7T the middle ground like other brushed motors as the winds increase?
Yep.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Some Badlands would help with that lack of traction.

FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankyRizzo View Post
Some Badlands would help with that lack of traction.

I'm probably going to pick up a set...been waiting to see a few more posts on them. Kamikaze probably sealed the deal for me but gonna hold off to see if any other companies are going to release something. I want something a little taller for my 13.5 wheelbase..but something that works.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

looks to me as your "meeting" went pretty well ...dang now only if i could drop $70 for a motor :-(
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:01 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Meeting went very well..did some photo chopping cause I really liked this photo.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

How much of a climb was that? Missing some at the bottom of the pic and it looks even sicker What's the final drive gearing on your rig, miller? and what's its weight?

Last edited by Thundermaxx; 02-21-2008 at 11:45 AM.
Thundermaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 11:47 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

All the pics of that climb are at the top. It's not long at all just a pain because the first step to it is near virtacle, the rock was wet, and the base was muddy.