Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Little Help, Motor/ESC problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2008, 09:28 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Little Help, Motor/ESC problem

I am having an electronic problem in my wheely king. I have a moped v16r and am running 3300 packs. I just today put in an older Speed Gems Sapphire 17t single in it for some more tq. I have it geared down a bit from stock with an 18/90. When the motor/esc/battery heat up and/or the battery voltage drops a bit, I loose reverse. Like the speed control still tries, but even with the truck off the ground, the wheels barely turn, and there is barely any power. Forward still works fine though. When I put another fully charged pack in it, reverse and forward works fine. I didn't get a chance to run this pack down, but I'm assuming it'll do it again. I think it's in the motor, cause it didn't do it with the epic 27t that I just took out of it, but I don't know if a simple com. cut/clean will fix it. Never had this problem before, any ideas? Thanks to everyone, and sorry for the long read.

Justin W.
EMX5636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2008, 09:34 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMX5636 View Post
I just today put in an older Speed Gems Sapphire 17t single in it for some more tq.
The lower turn motor would actually give you less torque than the higher turn motor you replaced.

The Moped is supposed to be okay down to 10T motors, so that shouldn't be your problem.......................but I would start with a more appropriate crawler motor before diving too far into diagnosing.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Well tq or not, the truck definately has a lot more go power. Spins all 4 tires easily on pavement, up hills, on the rocks etc... I'm not building a crawler. I'm building a basher, with enough top speed to be fun, but mostly just power to spin/wheely/tear up hills, rock beds, river bottoms whatever... And the MOPED is rated to 10t, so I didn't think it'd be the problem, esp since it's fine again with a new battery pack. My buddy (not R/C educated, but knows a lot from college), said that the motor might be building up resistance, and since the motor has a few degrees of timing in it, could be shorting, or just have to much resistance in the reverse rotation to properly spin. Anyone else have any ideas? Thanks.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:40 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

if it is the motor, and it cannot be cleaned or fixed (it's been sitting for a few years since my stampede), I'm just gonna get a 17-19t 550 motor for it, and go from there.
Old 03-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Timing effect reverse on a motor,try running 0 degrees and see if it solves the problem.
red jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Sounds like the reverse fets are smoked or something. Do you get reverse when you first plug everything in?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

With the first say like 5 mins of my pack, reverse works fine, then doesn't. Like you can hear the ESC beep into reverse, but the tires barely spin, and there is no power. Forwards still works fine, and continues to until the pack is dead. I'll try to get a couple packs through it tomorrow, and see if it does it every time. I don't know how the ESC would be bad, I've ran an 27t (stock saturn, and epic/trinity based pro stock) and just one battery through the Saphire 17t. I don't really wanna buy another ESC, I just got this Moped like 2 months ago. Have like 8-10 packs through it total... I'll try pulling the motor and cutting the com, while it's out, ill stick the stock saturn 27t in it and see if it goes away.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:22 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Alright, so just got done tearing some stuff down... It's def in the Moped. Which I don't understand, cause it hasn't had much use, and a 17t single, is no where near it's 10t limit. But do you think I just got unlucky and should try to get another one? If not, which ESC, (budget) would you recommend? I need something that'll take at least a 17-15t comfortably. Some slower speed crawling, but mostly just woods basher and climber.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

So, does anyone have a reversable ESC they could get rid of? I'm looking for other options around/under the $45 limit (new/used) that can handle at least a 15t. I would really like one of the older Roosters, or S. Roosters. I don't really want the Rooster Crawler, I like to have reverse delay. Let me know, Thanks All,
Old 03-05-2008, 10:16 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Alright, so breaking news... Just for fun, i stuck my stock Jolt ESC back in, seems to do the same thing. Works fine in forwards, but just carries on in reverse. If I stayed on the throttle in reverse, i'm sure it would start smoking the ESC. Here's the kicker... I have to wire the motor (Either a 17t single sapphire, or a 16t quad ruby), backwards or else the motor spings the wrong way. Neither of these cans have ever been open, so I know they aren't 180*out. Also, If I hook up the motor the right way, the ESC is working backwards, i have a slight delay before forwards. I don't know if something in the MOPED shorted together or what, but I don't think so, since it's doing the same thing with the JOLT-R. Someone HELP!!! I can't figure this out. I think at this point I need to either buy a motor, or ESC. I just don't wanna buy both. Thanks all.

Justin W
Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

I think it's a motor problem. Both Speed Gems motors spin in the opposite direction of the stock saturn and my trinity 27t. I swapped endbells 180, but i just think the motors don't like to spin one way. Cause with the endbells rotated, and the wires hooked up correctly, forward is now the problem, and reverse is fine. I did smoke the MOPED trying some stuff, so I still need an ESC, but I guess I won't use either of the Speed Gems motors. The Sapphire works in both directions for a little bit, the 16t quad won't work the one direction right from the get go. Any other insights so I don't smoke another speed control?