Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: voltage regulator or BEC needed with 2s lipo & 2 servos?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 AM   #1

Default voltage regulator or BEC needed with 2s lipo & 2 servos?

Tried a search, couldn't find a definitive answer to this...

I have a Scorpion, a 2s li-po pack and just picked up the Sidewinder/4600Kv combo. I got the Novak voltage regulator (which I probably don't need with a 2s pack) but I don't know if I'll need a BEC?

I'll be using an older Hitec metal gear servo (945MG I think) for the front and if I start competing I'll want to add a second one on the rear. I don't want to have dig right now, but if I get *really* serious I probably will - but that would mean getting a 4-channel radio setup too

So here are my questions:
  • Should I use the regulator I have?
  • do I only need a BEC and/or voltage regulator with a 3s li-po pack?
  • or do I need to get a BEC now?
krush groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

With a 2s lipo you will probably be alright. I have seen two trucks running the same setup and they work okay without a BEC. Those servos are good, but aren't huge amp draws compared to higher torque servos.

If you run a 3s lipo you will have to run a BEC, the ESC is not going to be able to handle stepping down that much voltage and will end up over heating with two servos - I know this from direct experience. It works "okay" but as soon as you start moving the servos side to side quickly the BEC gets over worked and needs to cool off (the servos slow or stop.)

I might be wrong but the Novak regulator can be used instead of a BEC? The one I am thinking of is a 6v/5amp regulator with a lipo cut off ... yes? This should be able to be used as a "BEC" as that's all the CC BEC is, just another name for a voltage regulator. It was initially meant so a guy could run a 2s lipo as a receiver pack in a nitro car without frying the Rx or servos... I am unsure if this will work with 3s lipo, but it should be fine w/ 2s.

Easiest thing to do, call Novak...their customer support is good. Especially if you call and ask for Charlie, he'll spend hours on the phone with you explaining stuff in great detail..
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:59 AM   #3

Thanks for that! I hadn't considered that 'voltage regulator' and 'BEC' could be the same thing! But thinking about it as I type, the voltage regulator is just meant to protect the battery from dropping too low in volts...so....I don't know I want to protect all my new gear but I don't want to be paying $20 or more for stuff I simply don't need.

I know Charlie pretty well, I used to race with him and I have a direct line to Steve W as well over there, I'll pop into RC Tech and see what he has to say!
krush groove is offline   Reply With Quote