Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Opinion - 2.2/ax10 Single servo 5955T or 8711DS - External BEC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
Like a boss...

Default Opinion - 2.2/ax10 Single servo 5955T or 8711DS - External BEC?

Flame away if I've missed the obvious....

I'm just curious do most people find that in a single servo setup, albeit with an ultra-torque servo like a JR 8711DS or Hitec 59555TG that an external BEC is needed for real performance?

I know this depends mostly on the internal BEC in ESC. So lets assume it's a Castle Mambeaor Sidewinder with a 3 amp/5v internal BEC.

Opinions on this setup? Do you feel an external BEC is really necessary?

-Mike
mann0mann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2008, 03:09 AM   #2
MWRCA'er

Will it function without a external Bec? yes

Will it function better on a external Bec? yes
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:35 AM   #3
Like a boss...

I probably should just kill the thread.

I feel like it's a dumb question, because I know the answer and I get the point you're making.

I guess a better way to ask this is...I'm curious if people who are running a sidewinder/mamba (or something similar internal BEC wise) are happy with the performance they are getting out it in a single servo rig?

I know the external BEC will make a difference. The root of the question leads to the fact I'm torn on which ESC makes the most sense for me..
I really love the programming ability of the Castle Products through the castle link, but I want the internal BEC specs of the Novak line. Why must there always be a compromise!?! haha

-Mike
Old 03-07-2008, 05:49 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mann0mann View Post
I probably should just kill the thread.

I feel like it's a dumb question, because I know the answer and I get the point you're making.

I guess a better way to ask this is...I'm curious if people who are running a sidewinder/mamba (or something similar internal BEC wise) are happy with the performance they are getting out it in a single servo rig?

I know the external BEC will make a difference. The root of the question leads to the fact I'm torn on which ESC makes the most sense for me..
I really love the programming ability of the Castle Products through the castle link, but I want the internal BEC specs of the Novak line. Why must there always be a compromise!?! haha

-Mike

I would highly suggest getting the 8711 and a castle BEC. I have a sidwinder and a JR 9100t and the castle BEC really woke it up. And the Castle bec has way better programability.
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
MODERHATER™

I would get a BEC, try it without and try it with, you will notice a big differance. I have been running Mamba MAx's since they came out and the CC BEC is the only way to go!
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:34 AM   #6
Official Cook of the ECC

As soon as you put a Castle BEC on your rig.......................................

You'll wonder why you waited so long.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:36 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

It seems what you are actually asking then is whether the CC max or sidewinder w/o external BEC is as good as a Novak Crawler?

The Crawler has a great BEC out of the box, but it has no programability and limited voltage in.

The Max or Sidewinder have a weaker BEC but much more adjustability via programming.

I sold my Crawler and bought the Max with a BEC to get the best of both worlds. Scattman nailed it...
onespeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM   #8
Like a boss...

Thanks for all the feedback! It sounds like everyone is really pleased with the BEC and makes that much of an impact.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #9
RCC Addict

The CCBEC really comes into play when you are running more than the usual 6cell 7.2 volt batteries. I use 11.1v 3s lipos so the CCBEC was required since the internal BEC is useless since your ampereage gets cut way down proportionatly as you increase voltage. My MM would actually over load and shut down trying to run 1 5955t servo. Now i have no problems and even better steering power thanks to the programmable BEC
dittohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 08:47 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I run a sidewinder and CC BEC and I think the BEC in the sidewinder is good enough if you have a high torque servo like my 5955tg but it really wakes it up when you add it, but then again thats another part you have to try to mount low and out of harms way. When John holmes first tested these when he got his first shipment if I recall right he said he measured them puting out around 5.6v soo take it as you will.
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 10:48 PM   #11
MWRCA'er

Put it this way.

My brothers 2.2 is running a Mamba max with a Hitec 5955tg.

I'm running a Quark with a CCBEC and a Hitec 5955TG.

The rigs are very similarly built.

In a hard bind his servo, moans grunts and stalls and seems slow to recover.

In a hard bind my servo, moans powers through and fastly recovers.

When I dropped the CCBEC in my truck I noticed, Cooler ESC temps, Faster, more servo grunt.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote