Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 55t Brushed motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 55t Brushed motors

I saw a buddy build a scorpion and he put on one of these motors which looked very interesting "Trinity Speed Gems Arcornite 55t"

i looked and searched and could not find any info or vendor on this but.................................

i found this motor on RCP Crawlers that i think has been overlooked since i have not seen a good detailed post on it or reviews.

so i figure:
it's not worth a crap and i just just spent $$$ on it even though considering it's price it still sounds like a good deal

it's been really overlooked

or i'm just overhyped on something that is not as badass as i think it is

any wasy here it is

Link to motor on RCP

The Fifty-Five Brushed Crawler is ideal for crawling because of its precise movement control, and its high-turn count makes for exceptional torque and long-run times. The motor is also completely rebuildable with an easily removable endbell and replaceable brushes, making maintenance a snap. In addition, Novak is pre-installing three motor capacitors to simplify the installation process, so users can be crawling in no time.

FIFTY-FIVE CRAWLER BRUSHED MOTOR FEATURES
Specifically designed for R/C vehicles that require precise movement control
High number of turns for excellent torque and long-run times
Dual-ball bearing for smoothness and efficiency
High-strength magnet for unmatched brush motor performance
100 percent rebuildable with user-replaceable brushes and springs
Easily accessible commutator for easy maintenance
Direct-Solder Wiring Tabs for flexible soldering options
Novak factory-installed motor capacitors to reduce glitching
Made in Japan
Tested by Novak in Irvine, Calif.

FIFTY-FIVE CRAWLER BRUSHED MOTOR SPECIFICATIONS
Number of Turns: 55
Design: Stand-up Brushed
Input Voltage: 4-7 cells (1.2V/cell) or 2S Li-Poly cells
Motor Size: 2.07" x 1.42" (52.7 x 36.1 mm)
Shaft Diameter: 0.125" (3.2 mm) [accepts all existing pinion gears]
Bearing: Standard 3/8" x 1/8"
Motor Weight: 6.03 oz. (171 grams)

Magnet: High-Strengh Ferrite
chivas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

i got that motor as a combo with my novak rooster crawler. hopefully i have it powered up by the end of the week so i know if its decent
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:14 PM   #3

Looks fine to me nothing wrong that I can see I personally like 55 turns nice balance of wheel speed and torque.
Spydermonkyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

The best quality brushed motors I have found in my experience are Axiom. I have had several Integy motors break on me and Two Trinity motors. All them broke a winding and seized the motor. All of my Axiom motors, those that I have bought new and those I have bought used have given me zero issues. I will personally never purchase any other brand motor myself unless it's from a vendor and they highly recommend it and stand by it. Like the warrior motors JP Customs sell. You get what you pay for in electronics.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Well Novak is not a shabby name and RCP si great vendor so if they sell it must be good i looked into the warriors and just didn't have the $$$ for one of those great motors but for about the price of a regular 55t of any other brand this Novak 55t with it's capacitors and all seem to be a good buy just haven't read any good reviews, praise or discredits on these
Old 03-10-2008, 06:09 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I have the 'fifty five' in my rover and dont notice a difference to the integy 55t in my gwagon, but they are different rigs and the novak is pretty new.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Default comparison

I did more research today and seems capacitors are old school but considering i am running TQ radio systems ( Cheap ) maybe i really do need them. now i came across these from one of the excellent vendors on this forum and would like to see if any has compared these 3 motors adding to the Novak 55T twist

Warrior

Dominator

Dirty Deeds
Old 03-11-2008, 05:26 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The novak 55t is a machine wound motor, and will perform as such. I don't know if the comm is trued or not either. The motors that JP sells are machine wounds with trued comms and zapped mags, very nice indeed.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:39 PM   #9
RCC Addict

i'm very newb on the tech specs all three have great promos on the site but has any one compared the three to see why and what they are good for ?

scale rock crawling, rock racing, bashing, comps ? ? ? ? ?
Old 03-11-2008, 05:45 PM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Anything an integy 55t is good for, but with a bit more power. It is still a brushed motor, nothing world shifting happened.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:31 PM   #11

I just went from a 55 Novak to a JP 35 Warrior.

I think the Warrior is better all around. Same if not more torque and WAY more wheel speed. Happy I made the swap.
Rockit1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:08 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I had the Novak 55T in my Axial and it worked beautifully. I don't get the "NOVAK 55T is too expensive" bit I keep reading, like 7-8 posts now... I got mine at HobbyTownUSA in San Jose, CA for $25. Integy motors are $20, $5 difference? come on...

Integy has sold me junk again and again and I frankly have a hard time trusting their products. All bling, no reliability. Their documentation is crap, and their website is just as bad. I know alot of people run their motors in their crawlers with no problems, but buying anything with their name on it gives me the heebee-jeebees(queue sudden body shudder).

The trued comm and zapped magnets in a low speed crawler just doesn't seem that important. In a high speed 12T motor where speed is the goal, much more important. My opinion anyhow, no offense to anyone intended.

All said on the Novak 55T motor, I just pulled it out and went with a Axiom 45T V11 Pro motor for a bit more wheel speed. I would have happily bought a Novak 45T motor, but they don't make one. The Axiom is a great motor, but the Novak held my rig on a down hill better. The drag brake would keep it there no problem, but the 45T I have to give it a little brake/rev to hold it. (using a mamba max with 100% drag brake)

Done rambling...

Cheers,

Rob
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 AM   #13
RCC Addict

that was a great review on the motor i was begining to think i ucked up buying it i'm gonna use ti to replace the ( are you ready Rdtshaw ? ) integy 55T i have on my daughters XRC

now have to see where the Jp Customs motors measure up to each other

Holmes Hobbies has great Brushed motors too but they are a bit pricey
Old 03-12-2008, 10:23 AM   #14
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdtshaw View Post
I had the Novak 55T in my Axial and it worked beautifully. I don't get the "NOVAK 55T is too expensive" bit I keep reading, like 7-8 posts now... I got mine at HobbyTownUSA in San Jose, CA for $25. Integy motors are $20, $5 difference? come on...

Integy has sold me junk again and again and I frankly have a hard time trusting their products. All bling, no reliability. Their documentation is crap, and their website is just as bad. I know alot of people run their motors in their crawlers with no problems, but buying anything with their name on it gives me the heebee-jeebees(queue sudden body shudder).

The trued comm and zapped magnets in a low speed crawler just doesn't seem that important. In a high speed 12T motor where speed is the goal, much more important. My opinion anyhow, no offense to anyone intended.

All said on the Novak 55T motor, I just pulled it out and went with a Axiom 45T V11 Pro motor for a bit more wheel speed. I would have happily bought a Novak 45T motor, but they don't make one. The Axiom is a great motor, but the Novak held my rig on a down hill better. The drag brake would keep it there no problem, but the 45T I have to give it a little brake/rev to hold it. (using a mamba max with 100% drag brake)

Done rambling...

Cheers,

Rob
I never said that. I said "You get what you pay for in electronics." Try using the quote feature before you put words into someone else's mouth.

I do agree with you on the quality of Integy products though. And why is it that the hand wound Integy motors are double the cost of the cheap ones? Hmm... maybe you get what you pay for in electronics and even Integy understands this. Your entitled to your opinion but as for your statement: "The trued comm and zapped magnets in a low speed crawler just doesn't seem that important. In a high speed 12T motor where speed is the goal, much more important. My opinion anyhow, no offense to anyone intended."

A trued comm and zapped magnets will help increase power and the drag brake effect. If the brushes and comm are square to each other, with maximum surface touching one another, it results in a better connection allowing more voltage to pass through them unimpeded creating power/torque/wheel speed, and when not moving it gives a stronger drag brake. The same is true for zapped magnets, a balanced magnetic field. Not one magnet being stronger than the other. That is the entire reason they are now making crawler motors with brushes angled, to get more brush surface onto the comm to increase power and drag brake.

And the reason your 45 turn doesn't hold as well as your 55 turn is because you went down in windings, sacrificing low end torque and hold power for wheel speed. Had you gone up in voltage instead, you would have picked up the desired wheel speed and still kept the same drag brake using the 55 turn. It has nothing to do with motor brand.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova's Ark View Post
I never said that. I said "You get what you pay for in electronics." Try using the quote feature before you put words into someone else's mouth.
You assumed I meant you? There was a post that the novak motor is expensive. When did "I don't get the NOVAK 55T is too expensive bit I keep reading, like 7-8 posts now... " and "you get what you pay for" become the same thing? Did YOU make 7-8 posts about it? You even quoted me, and it still wasn't the same thing... Having a bad day there? There have been multiple posts in other threads about the cost of this motor, and I've just been scrathing my head about it, that's all.

The zapped/trued motor in a low speed motor is not AS important, NOT unimportant. It IS far more important in a high speed motor. That was what I said or intended if you misconstrued it. I believe what I said was " just doesn't seem that important" Not a definitive, "I'm right, everyone else is wrong" in my book. Generally meant that there is better things to spend money on, I do not think most people could do the "Pepsi challenge" with a zapped/trued 55t motor vs a regular decent one and tell the difference. I know I couldn't. I could in a fast stadium truck, but not a crawler.

Also, I know more voltage would increase wheel speed. You made that statement without knowing my rig. I'm running a 3S lipo on a MM, and I can't exactly go to a 4s with that setup. AND I know why the 55T held my rig and the 45T didn't. I can just turn the pinion by hand on either motor and feel the difference in resistance. There was no question mark in that statement. I wasn't asking any questions about it. It was just a fact. The 55t held it, the 45T didn't.

I'm quite surprised by the angst in the reply. None of this was directed at you at all. If I HAD used the quote feature like you said, then it would have been implying you said it, but I simply wasn't, and didn't. Putting words in your mouth? what the heck are you talking about? It was a very generic polite post that was on subject, I just reread it to make sure I wasn't rude or smug. It was intended to be light and just my 2 cents. I even ended it with, "My opinion anyhow, no offense to anyone intended." I am sorry if I offended you, it truly was not directed at you at all.

Last edited by rdtshaw; 03-12-2008 at 11:51 PM.
rdtshaw is offline   Reply With Quote