Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: *No Battery* message w/battery connected to charger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default *No Battery* message w/battery connected to charger?

Here are the specs first:

Duratrax Piranha Digital Peak Charger

SMC 4200mAh 7.2V battery (dedicated in gwagon)
Venom 3600mAh 7.2V battery (dedicated in Rover)
Piranha 2000mAh 7.2V battery (spare battery)

Tamiya connectors

Often, when I connect the battery to charge I get a "no battery" signal on the charger. I check and double check the connection and usually doesnt help. Sometimes I grab the connected tamiya connector and tweak it back and forth to see if I can help the connection and that sometimes works. This happens with any of the three batteries.

Also, sometimes I get a "open circuit" message too. Once, maybe twice I got that message only to then get the "no battery" message...

My rigs are scale rigs with nothing fancy-typical 2ch stuff, integy 55t or novak 55t motor, moped and tekin rebel 2 esc's. I dont think I need deans connectors, but may be wrong. If you suggest I need them, please tell me why I need better than Tamiya connectors (I would appreciate it).

What could be causing the "no battery" or "open curcuit" messages? What things should I look for to prevent it happening as often as it does?
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2008, 06:49 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

sounds like it is the connector on the charger to me. I would switch to deans plugs. You can get the copy cat ones on ebay pretty reasonable if you are tight on money. I bought some and they work just fine.

Randy
racerrandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:55 AM   #3
RCC Addict

x2
If you can 'tweak' the connectors around a bit, wiggle them, and that fixes the problem, odds are the connectors are bad/not so good.
Try switching connectors, even if you have to get new Tamiya style. But i would suggest Deans Plugs...
Cake Eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 12:38 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

X3 on the Deans connectors, I've seen many Tamiya plugs get so hot they fuse together. That might not be your problem though, there could be a cold joint or broken wires inside the pack. If it is happening on all of your packs it could be the charger's plug or the charger itself. Try borrowing a battery from someone and see if it does the same thing. You should also try charging your batteries on a different charger to see if it is giving you the same error.
jdmstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The other issue I've had with my Pirhana is that the bare wire ends of the plug don't always make good contact with the holders on the charger. Tinning them with solder largely fixed that problem.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

all good suggestions. thank you!
pablo-
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote