Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: motor is smoking

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default motor is smoking

ok i built my new crawler and i put a rooster 55t combo in is hooked everything up and i was trying to get it to work and i looked od the motor area and there was smoke comming off of it any thoughts
by the way i cant get it to go foward or backward
bigdog5332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2008, 03:28 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

couple things. did you program the esc to your transmitter? do you have the esc plugged in the rx properly. also, you may want to check your gear mesh. it could possibly be way to tight.
madmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:30 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

if the motor is smoking, stop buying it cigarettes
seriously, was the smoke coming out of the motor when you applied throttle, or just when it was sitting there? if it was when you applied throttle, the only solution I can think of is that the motor has somehow already ate itself. if it was just sitting there, no throttle (aka no power going through it. in other words, not just trimmed to the point where it won't move, but still makes strange noises), then I have no idea what the problem could be
Slyp Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:36 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

i will check the gear i am running a dx3r with a six cell but i cant get the trim set for the motor either
Old 03-20-2008, 03:49 PM   #5

Without seeing the truck my firt guess would be something is binding in your drive train and you probably toasted the motor. Can you spin the wheels/drive train by hand with the motor installed? When you take the motor out does it roll freely?

As for the smoke are you certain it was the motor? Could it have been the wires, or the capacators on the motor? To check motor take it out of the truck, connect it to the ESC and see if it spins. Unfortunately letting the magic smoke of out something electronic is never good.
estill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:02 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Get some marshmallows out and have a campfire.. hehe.

Ummm yeah smoke is a bad thing. Possibly post some pics of how you have it wired up. Possibly a wire shorted onto something.. I dunno.

You said 6 cell.. what cell type are they (2/3a,SC etc.)?

Keep us posted.
Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

they are the split hump pack from the crawler store i think 2/3a they are the small ones i am pretty sure the smoke was comming from the motor it was at the fery front of the motor i will tru to get pics if i can of the wiering and i can not get the trim set for the motor?esc on the dx3r
Old 03-21-2008, 10:16 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

You cannot get the throttle channel trimmed ... but without the motor going forward or backward that's impossible to do anyway.

Try spinning the motor by hand, rotate the spur gear with your hand and it should turn the motor. It's possible you could have had you throttle trim slightly out of adjustment and it was trying to move the motor, but only very slowly - and you cooked a brush. Spinning the motor over should get it off the burnt spot and it might work. But I would take a few steps back and ensure you've got everything connected and setup correctly, so .....

1. Disconnect the motor.
2. Make sure you have the ESC plugged into Channel 2 on your receiver.
3. Go through the setup instructions for the ESC.
4. Reconnect the motor. ( + wire goes on one side, - wire goes on the other side of the motor's hood. )
5. Spin it by hand and see if you can get it to work with the throttle trigger on the radio.

If it does not work it might be easier for you to just take it to a local hobby shop and let someone take a quick look at it. Could be something as simple as a hung brush, or something as complicated as a bad motor. Sounds like you are still learning so having a more experienced eye take a peek at it will probably save you some time and grief in the long run.
Desolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:39 AM   #9