Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Concerns about CC MM - need a little help please.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2008, 02:01 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Concerns about CC MM - need a little help please.

Since CC is having their sale I need to get a MM soon I think. They have it shipped with a discount for $126.

Tower has a $15 off but they list it as discontinued?!

Holmes Hobbies has it for $115 cause they are on sale there too. $120 to my door.

Horizon has no sale so it is $135 before shipping.

RPP has it for $119 before shipping.

TCS has it for $135 before shipping.

CKRC has it for $135 before shipping.

RCP has it for $134 before shipping.

So, my question is this. Where to buy? Has anyone bought directly from CC before? I am not worried but I am a little confused. Why would Tower say that it is discontinued? Why is there no consistency in the prices all over the net? Am I correct in saying that there is only one model of MM?!

The CC site says:
NOTE: The Mamba Max Power System is NOT for use in 1/10th scale monster trucks.

Mamba Max 10th Scale Power System
The ONLY Brushless System To Own!

Are you SERIOUS about power or just into having SERIOUS FUN? We've got you covered either way:

• Infinitely adjustable throttle and brake curves
  • Punch Control to dial in the horsepower just where you want it
  • Brake Strength to keep you tracking straight under hard braking,
  • Drag Brake to help corner entries
  • Start Power for true and smooth launches
  • Cutoff voltage to keep your lipos happy
  • Timing Advance for that final tweak in performance
CHOOSE FROM 4 CONFIGURATIONS Controller Only Mamba Max ESC Only - no motor included 4600 Package Mamba Max ESC and CMs-4600 Motor (540 size, 4600Kv) 5700 Package Mamba Max ESC and CMs-5700 Motor (540 size, 5700Kv) 6900 Package Mamba Max ESC and CMS-6900 Motor (540 size, 6900Kv) 7700 Package Mamba Max ESC and CMs-7700 Motor (540 size, 7700Kv)
All packages include:
  • Mamba Max brushless speed control
  • CM36S XXXX brushless, sensorless motor
  • On/Off switch
  • Connectors for motor and controller hook-up
  • Castle Link software install disc
  • Castle Link USB programming cable
  • Easy to read user guide with settings tips
There is only one type of MM, right?! CC's website does not reveal too much info about it and too boot they say not for 1:10 Monster Trucks. I know the AX10 is not a monster truck but it is a truck that draws a lot of amperage. Is there anything to be worried about here?

I did search for a lot of info on this. I know toms of you use this controller. I just needed to know where to order it, and if there is only one type. Thanks for the help guys.
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
Web Wheeling

Tower will say something is discontinued when its not, never believe what Tower tells you.

I ordered 2 castle BECs direct from Castle with their sale this month, they arived a few days later via Priority mail. You can save your self a couple dollars if you change the shipping rate to Priority too.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:41 PM   #3
Official Cook of the ECC

I buy my electronics from JRH.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

There is no consistancy on prices because few adhere to the MAP pricing that Castle sets. I normally sell them for 135.95, and so does every other company that keeps a proper deal with Castle. Occasionally sales are run, or in the case of Tower they have a member or store wide sale. Great ESC, and I buy from Castle direct all of the time . You can trust them
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etype R View Post
Tower will say something is discontinued when its not, never believe what Tower tells you.

I ordered 2 castle BECs direct from Castle with their sale this month, they arived a few days later via Priority mail. You can save your self a couple dollars if you change the shipping rate to Priority too.
Huh, that is good to know as it is cheaper, thanks.

Any other insights into my ?'s though?
Old 03-21-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

There is only one MM, and there is no worries in the AX-10.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Currently there is only one Mamba Max, not several different models. Also for CC saying that it's not intended for 1/10 Monster Trucks, you need not worry for crawler applications, especially with a 2.2. The Mamba Max is tried and proven many times over with Super Class crawlers and 2.2's, you will not be disappointed.

As far as pricing goes, many larger vendors (speaking for RCSLOT too) run basic formulas for pricing, otherwise it would be a tremendous task to individually price 80,000 products, for example: items which cost the Hobby Shop between $10 and $50 may be marked up 30% to 50%, while items which cost the Hobby Shop $500 may only be marked up 5% and so on.... This is why you see price variations.

Many manufacturers enforce MAP pricing, which is Minimum Advertised Price, and Castle Creations is no exception, they currently have the MAP price for the Mamba Max set at $135.15, so anyone who is currently selling the Mamba Max for under this amount is actually violating the MAP policy.

Hope this helps
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

There is only one MM.
I think the confusion lies in their "brushless combo". That's what's not for 1/10 monster trucks. Unless you want your rig to really move out.

The ESC itself is all you want to buy, not a combo with the brushless motor.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
There is only one MM.
I think the confusion lies in their "brushless combo". That's what's not for 1/10 monster trucks. Unless you want your rig to really move out.

The ESC itself is all you want to buy, not a combo with the brushless motor.
OK, got that, thanks. But you can run brushless with the MM?! Is it their Brushless motors you don't want to get or what? Are they bad for crawling? I am completely knowledgeable of r/c electronics, but the crawler stuff I am kind of lost. The short of the long with this esc is that you can run Brushed/less - Lipo's/non - Needs a BEC (which I have).

Are cobalt pullers brushed? I know I can search that, but I am torn between 8 motors at this point.

Thanks all
Old 03-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc J33P View Post
I am completely knowledgeable of r/c electronics, but the crawler stuff I am kind of lost.
Are you sure? The Mamba Max is primarily a brushless ESC.
Soya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

MM is good for brushed/brushless. It's really a matter of personal preference with brushed vs brushless when it comes to crawlers, but you definitely don't want a 3000 to 5000 kv brushless motor for crawling, more like 1000kv. I recently switched back to brushed, was running a Quark 33 with a BM9 brushless outrunner and I didn't care for how the ESC reacted when loaded up (wheels in a bind) it would automatically reverse? I tried several different pinions and I was running 8 cells (2/3a). My current setup is the MM with a 55T Integy Lathe and it's way better for my driving style than the Quark 33 and brushless BM9.

Yes cobalt pullers are brushed.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soya View Post
Are you sure? The Mamba Max is primarily a brushless ESC.
Are you sure if I know what I am talking about, or sure about the brushless thing?

Granted it has been a while since I bought a completely new setup, but not long enough to not know anything. I am just not up to date on the brushless/crawler scene. Reading everything here really helps though - enough to know what i want. Like everyone though I have ?'s. Sure I could buy a Goat or Crawler and throw in a 55t Integy like many use, but I am wanting to expand myself, my rig, and go all out this time. DX3R, MM, BEC, 5955TG, 225MG - VF Dig, Lipo, just not sure about motor yet.

I know the Sidewinder is cheaper and less extensive in features but a great ESC. But for the cost of the link you can buy a MM for a little more. I want full programmability and best quality I can get.

I have learned as an adult to but it right, and buy it once.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:35 PM   #13
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
OK, got that, thanks. But you can run brushless with the MM?! Is it their Brushless motors you don't want to get or what? Are they bad for crawling? I am completely knowledgeable of r/c electronics, but the crawler stuff I am kind of lost.
Yes, the MM will run brushed motors and yes, you do not want their brushless motors. Unless you want to go really really fast. Their brushless motors are 4600 kv and up, for crawling you want a brushless motor with about 1000 kv or less.

Quote:
The short of the long with this esc is that you can run Brushed/less - Lipo's/non - Needs a BEC (which I have).
Yes

Quote:
Are cobalt pullers brushed? I know I can search that, but I am torn between 8 motors at this point.

Thanks all
Yes, they are brushed.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 11:27 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
There is only one MM, and there is no worries in the AX-10.
no problem for crawlers, however i have heard that cc is releasing a new monster truck version for trucks like emaxx's

mamba maxx is supposed to handle around 100 amps or so, the new monster version is supposed to handle two or three times that. 40lb super anyone?
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:05 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Hmmmmm, when/where did you see this? Do you have any info on this to show. I would definitely be interested in learning about it.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:07 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

a guy came into the shop I work at with an electric converted revo, he was using the mamba maxx esc. he told me it was not ment for monsters, but he told me it was temporary untlil the new monster version came out.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 01:29 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Castle has been teasing everyone with this "Monster Max" for quite some time now.......