Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Crawlmaster/Mamba vs Goat system?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 01:30 AM   #1

Default Crawlmaster/Mamba vs Goat system?

I have a recently completed AX10 and am in need of a good motor esc combo. I live in northern michigan so we don't have a ton of rock other than what we pile up. I want to build a competent crawler but would also like to have good wheelspin/top speed for hill climbing and sand/mud

Any opinions here? I'm open to other combo's also... Please leave me with actual reasons as to why you have an opinion either way, not just a "buy a goat it rules dude!!"

Cheers
Liquidlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2008, 08:58 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

My dad is running a goat. It has a rediculous amount of wheel speed, amazing power, and smooth. Im running a sidewinder with a crawlmaster 1000kv motor. Of the two setups mine is a better crawler setup due to the tunability of the Sidewinder and the sheer power of the crawlmaster. His motor is very high strung and needed to be geared way down for crawler duty. So he chews up batteries very fast. My combo is also smaller and lighter which is also very good in a crawler. You really can go wrong with either combo, but your gonna pay more for the goat vs even a full castle creations combo (i would reccomend the 4600kv if you went that route)

edited to add...im using a 16t pinoin adn the stock spur gear and have great wheel speed, with a 18t pinion it has amazing wheel speed (more than i needed to so geared down).
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:28 PM   #3

Thats it?

No more info on any of these combo's or other possibilities?
Old 03-30-2008, 07:39 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I believe that if you are looking for more wheel speed, the Castle Combos are a better choice. You can run a 3 cell lipo on the Castle and gear up....would give you a ton of speed. The Novak is limited to 7cell NiMH. That puts you at 8.4v instead of the 11+v for the Castle. If this was a more Crawler Specific situation, I would say the NOVAK is a better choice. I run the GOAT, and have learned that it is jumpy if the radio AND esc are not set correctly. It takes the right settings to get a GOAT dialed in. I LOVE MINE!! For a crawling specific situation, I would not trade it in. BUT, if I was doing more of a trail rig, I would go with the MAMBA.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:41 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

i recentlyt built up an AX10 as well. I went from the rooster/55T to the goat setup. Its been absolutely great. Smooth as butta when i need to go slow and it packs plenty of torque. I like wheelspeed and its got plenty of that as well. I can't comment on the crawlermaster setup but mine is perfect for me.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Go with the Goat, I think it's the best dual purpose system. It has plenty of bottom end and tons of top end, find a good balance in gearing and you'll be very happy with it no matter what your doing. Although, if you run a 3S or a 4S LiPo, or equivelent voltage NiMH pack, with the MM and Crawlmaster it would probably be just as good at both.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 PM   #7

Hmmmmm, mamba max combo for messin around days and then get a crawlmaster motor to plop in for the serious crawling days..........
Old 03-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

As said the Goat system will give you a lot of wheelspeed, it would be good for just about anything. The Crawlmaster is a bit more than 1/3 of the speed of the goat, but you can run it on twice the voltage. Really depends on what you want to do with the system.

A sidewinder or MM and 4600 would be great for bashing around, and then a crawlmaster or even a brushed motor for serioius crawling.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:10 AM   #9

if you want great crawl and great wheel speed try a 5T or 7T colbolt puller on 11.1s and a MM esc, the best set up i have used. i also run the goat system in a 2.2 its a great system, great battery time also a plus!!
jackal 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:18 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

IMO the Goat Crawler System is really smooth at start up and it will creep along with no cogging. It has a powerful bottom end with lots of torque and plenty of wheel speed on the top end. All this on 7.2 volts you won't need an 8 cell pack or a 3 cell lipo to get performance out of it. All said and done the Goat is very nice package for the money.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote