Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: weird servo/bec problem.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default weird servo/bec problem.

After adding a castle bec ive started having a slight issue. Sometimes when i turn it will stay turned even with the wheel strait and then it will start working again...no clue why...anyone have an idea?
nj05nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 03:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

What servo and ESC are you running and how many cells? Did you clip the red wire from the BEC?
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by '04 Rubicon View Post
What servo and ESC are you running and how many cells? Did you clip the red wire from the BEC?
i had forgotten i posted up here and didnt update it when i updated my post on another forum...

a) its intermittent...
b) im running a sidewinder/tq3 setup and yes the red wire is disconnected
c) the rec and antenna are away from the other electronics
d) the only thing that changed prior to this problem is the change in esc from a rebel2 and internal bed, to the sidewinder and external bec
e) battery charge seems to have no effect on the problem
f) Bec is set at 6v which is max for the servo...
g) im running a 8 cell NiMh battery
Old 04-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Is the ESC cutting out at the same time, meaning that the throttle doesn't work when the wheel is stuck turning? I had a smiliar issue only it was when I did not run the CC BEC with a Hitec HS5590TG. The servo wasn't getting enough power, but when I added the BEC with 7.2v, all was good. What servo are you running with the 6v max? Try adjusting the voltage from the BEC and see it that does anything. Sorry if that doesn't help you, can't think of anything else.
'04 Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Is the servo you are using digital?

I have noticed that if I put my jr8711 on my third (dig) channel it will not work at all. Channel three is actuated by a switch that is pre programmed to stop in three different positions (normal neutral and dig). Yet the cheap analog servo I bought for dig works great. My radio is a Futaba 3pdf, ccbec, MM esc, 3014...

Try installing a different servo to see if the problem goes away.
Could it be that the servo or the linkage is binding up?
_BEN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I have tried both the hs5645 (digital) and a TP 946r (no idea if its digi or analog)...both servos do it. No cutting out of the throttle at any time. Both servos say 4.6-6v...so i assume 6v is the max. It can freeze in any position, but its more obvious when its turned (does it on smooth ground, and low traction surfaces as well...and even in the aid).

i did try bumping up the Bec to 6.5v and it didnt make a difference...

Im really lost, its almost like the servo looses power for a second, but i cant figure out why, im gonna try a different rec, maybe its starting to die *shrug*
Old 04-01-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

If that is the case you may be having some sort of interference.

It could be either from something else on your frequency or excessive noise traveling along your wires.

Have you tried pulling your reciever and locating it as far away from your other electronics as possible? Just for test purposes mount it some where else. It does not have to be in a well protected area.

Maybe try swapping out your crystals for another set too. If you dont have a spare set it is always good to have a set.
_BEN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

my receiver is mounted on the rear axle with nothing near it...but ill try and replace it with a different receiver...
Old 04-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #9
RCC Addict

How are your wires routed? If you have signal wires too close together you can get interference. Are you getting this problem with any other Tx/Rx combo? How is the antenna routed? It definitely sounds like a interference issue.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote