Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wiring 2 bec's, one for each servo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Wiring 2 bec's, one for each servo

on my 2.2 comp tuber im going to try runnin 2 cc bec's.I wanted to start this thread to ask some of you elctronics guru's how you would go about doing this properley.

I dont want to power rx with esc at all.

So i need to wire in 2 bec's one bec power ing one servo[steering]

and one bec powering the other servo[dig]

How do i go about doing this? T.I.A. mike.

i have talked to jrh a bit about and did a search and didnt find anything so i thought i would post this,could be some helpfull tech for someone else also.

Last edited by rockmike; 04-01-2008 at 08:00 PM.
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2008, 08:04 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

The first question you should ask is if it is really necessary?

This contraption only had one bec didn't it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32SNVXklxxs

Last edited by _BEN_; 04-01-2008 at 08:10 PM.
_BEN_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
RCC Addict

there is absolutley no reason to run 2, especially for 1 steering and 1 dig.
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:16 PM   #4
Keep it real

First, because he has burned up 2 already.
Second, because JRH suggested he try that to see if it fixes the issue.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
First, because he has burned up 2 already.
Second, because JRH suggested he try that to see if it fixes the issue.
Thanks for filling in the rest of the story.

Have you tried this:
Wire one ccbec normal. This will power the rx and the dig servo.

Then for the second ccbec.
-Pick up/make a female-female servo adapter and an extra male servo plug.
-De-Pin the steering servo so only the signal wire remains. Plug that into the RX.
-Take your extra male plug and put your servos (+) and (-) wires in their correct slots.
-Then plug the ccbec into one side of the female/female adapter and the servo lead with only the (+)(-) wires into the other side.

I think that might do it.

If you are handy with the iron. You could make your Female-Female adapter and get your extra male plug in one shot with this.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHFN4&P=0

This link shows what wires are (+)(-)(signal) for specific brands.
http://www.fatlion.com/sailplanes/servos.html

Last edited by _BEN_; 04-01-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-01-2008, 08:35 PM   #6
Keep it real

No sweat, Mike has a knack for letting the smoke out of anything, we're still trying to figure out what his Kryptonite is
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
RCC Addict

with 10A available from a cc bec there is a bigger problem than the bec
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I edited my post with a possible solution. Not sure if it was up before the last two posts.
Old 04-02-2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks for jumping in there nathan,Guys i have done everything i and otheres can think of to remedy this problem.After i smoked the first one i switched swervo's i switched radio's i switched motor,Its a compltely new system when i smoked the 2nd one.

I talked to J.R.H. about all these issues and he suggested that i run 2 bec's.My next plan was to run 1 with a fan.Because the packaging says the rateings of the unit are based with 5 mph airflow across unit.I have no air flow.

So im takeing jrh's advice on runnin 2 but im a bit confused how to wire it up properly with 2 and not use esc'c bec to power rx so lets please focus on the ?
I really appreciate youre help on this,im not reall great with the elctronics so this is why im here asking for youre help.

When i wire the rig everything i mean everything is shrink wrapped i have no wires grounding out.

I didnt have epa's with this other radio but i would expect if i had any issues because of that it would be smokeing servo;s not bec's.But before it goes back together i am buying a brand new mx-3 to use this time so i can have epa's.thanx again,mike.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:14 PM   #10
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

1. Remove red wire from your ESC's rx plug
2. Plug one CC BEC into a free channel on the RX (or use a Y harness if you don't have a free slot)
3. Plug your second CC BEC into a Y harness that goes to your front servo. Clip the red and black wire right before the RX so that power only flows between BEC and servo. Only signal will go from RX to servo.

What RX are you using?
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:18 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

JRH is the man regarding this stuff, but I have to second the opinion that something is wrong elsewhere in your system. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where 2 servos of almost any size would max out a CC BEC. Maybe a BEC problem?
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
1. Remove red wire from your ESC's rx plug
2. Plug one CC BEC into a free channel on the RX (or use a Y harness if you don't have a free slot)
3. Plug your second CC BEC into a Y harness that goes to your front servo. Clip the red and black wire right before the RX so that power only flows between BEC and servo. Only signal will go from RX to servo.

What RX are you using?
i just orderes new airtronics mx-3 so i will have a new radio and rx and new steering servo when this all goes back together this time.You could say im alittle skitish about this.
Old 04-02-2008, 01:18 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxxjeremy View Post
with 10A available from a cc bec there is a bigger problem than the bec
Blood_Clod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 01:22 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimer Snerd View Post
JRH is the man regarding this stuff, but I have to second the opinion that something is wrong elsewhere in your system. I have a hard time imagining a scenario where 2 servos of almost any size would max out a CC BEC. Maybe a BEC problem?
It has to be a bec problem,im just the most unluckiest bastard on the planet when it comes to elctronics.Im not an idiot i know how to wire things properly and if im not 100% sure i ask.

I know a few otheres that have smoked these also but they have done somthing wrong like not unhook the red wire on the esc,or have not shrink wrapped connection proper and have grounded out.
Old 04-02-2008, 02:09 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I am a local and have seen and gone over this setup with Mike, everything looks right . I'm begining to think that Castle may have a bad batch of BEC's out there, cause I too am having issues with one and it likes to shut down my system. I swapped it out with a MPI bec and the setup works fine.
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 02:23 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I'm now wondering if my setup is similar to your's. Do you you guys have any photos by any chance?
Old 04-02-2008, 03:41 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIKES2CRAWL View Post
I am a local and have seen and gone over this setup with Mike, everything looks right . I'm begining to think that Castle may have a bad batch of BEC's out there, cause I too am having issues with one and it likes to shut down my system. I swapped it out with a MPI bec and the setup works fine.
Interesting,so thats what you determind huh.That sucks ass cause eddie was unable to run in super class because of his issues,and i got hosed out of a better placeing cause my rig died on stage 3 and had to take a repair and didnt have enough time to complete stage 3 so i took a dnf

well we will no for sure after i wire in 2 of these cause we all know this is serious over kill.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:44 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by _BEN_ View Post
I'm now wondering if my setup is similar to your's. Do you you guys have any photos by any chance?
Wish i could ben,but i dont have a vid card on my work puter[this is where i do all my posteing]

When i want to share i usually have likes2crawl come over and take pics and post for me.

But he needs to come over and give me his ax-10 trans soon so i can build him an A2D2 trans.hint hint.
dennis came by the store today and saw the heatsink i built for my 5995 servo and he wants one so he may have jumped in front of ya for machining projects,honestley i would rather get youre a2d2 built so you can have a consistent dig. He can get by without a heat sink for a while.

Last edited by rockmike; 04-02-2008 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:13 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

I would just bypass the reciever altogether with the BEC's. One Y harness per BEC, leave the read wire out of the servo connectors that plug into the RX.
And then use the Mamba's internal BEC to power the RX (leave the red wire in the plug for the speed control).
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:57 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN View Post
I would just bypass the reciever altogether with the BEC's. One Y harness per BEC, leave the read wire out of the servo connectors that plug into the RX.
And then use the Mamba's internal BEC to power the RX (leave the red wire in the plug for the speed control).
this actually seems to be the best way to do it to me,so thanx for youre input,the current and just go directly to the servo's.

Thanks guys for youre help and i will report back to this thread and let you all know what happens.[crossing fingures]