Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: waterproofing lipo and brushless?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2008, 09:41 PM   #1

Default waterproofing lipo and brushless?

newbie post i know, but i tried searching...

i have a novak goat and plan on getting a maxamps assembled pack for a tuber build. i'm also considering using a lipo on my hilift build.

first, i've read that lipo packs arent recommended to be submerged in water because the cells tabs are so close together that any mineral content in the water could possibly short out the pack accross the tabs. it seems like it would be pretty simple to address that problem by making sure water doesnt get in there by sealing up the pack. is it that simple or are there any other issues i dont know of?

second, are brushless motors waterproof? if not what have some of you done to make them so? or is running submerged just not something you want to do to a brushless motor?

thanks in advance.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2008, 10:10 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I only run sealed ni-mh packs in my waterproof rig, also lithium+water=fire.
sparky0068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #3

make a reservoir around the end of a lipo with masking tape and fill it with liquid epoxy then repeat with the other end.
Sliver-Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

for the lipo, I would just throw it in a balloon or plastic bag, ziptie the opening, and fill it (the opening) with silicone.

for the motor ????

I have seen a video around here showing the mamba 25 system compleatly submerged, without modification. I know the video was about the speedo being waterproof, but the motor wasn't modified either.

not sure on that one.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 10:42 PM   #5

the more i'm reading the darn all over the place search results the more i'm seeing its just not a good idea to run the novak brushless motors underwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver-Surfer View Post
make a reservoir around the end of a lipo with masking tape and fill it with liquid epoxy then repeat with the other end.
i helped a friend for a summer hooking up houses with dsl and additional phone lines, we had these things call quick splices, which would be perfect...

could i just 'dip' an entire lipo pack in epoxy? maybe wrap it with some closed cell foam beforehand so it has some swell room?
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 AM   #6

Yeah, I've seen people plasti dip servos, I was wondering if it would be okay doing this to a LiPo pack. Anyone tried it or convinced it's a bad idea?
gothikon is offline   Reply With Quote