Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Anyone else experience this?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Anyone else experience this?

Vague title to tempt you to read further :-P

I recently installed my Castle BEC with my Mamba Max. Previously, I had been running the BEC with my Novak Rooster and everything worked as it should. Now with my Mamba Max, everything works but with a slight twist, the switch on my MM still works.

Electronic set-up is as follows:

Spektrum DX3r tx
Spektrum SR3100 rx
Hitec 5955tg steering servo (plugged into Channel 1)
MM esc (red wire removed and plugged into Channel 2)
MM BEC (plugged into battery/bind port)

When I plug in a battery, the servo powers up and I can control the steering with my rx. However, I have to actually switch on the esc to have throttle. From what I've read and what I experienced with my Rooster Crawler esc, plugging in the battery should power up everything, not just the servos. The BEC is wired up through an inline Dean's plug, installed by JRH, so I'm confident that isn't an issue.

I'm happy if I have a switch for my esc, just want to make sure I'm not damaging it. I've asked Joe at CC about this, and he's also on it, but I figured the more input, the better!
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2008, 04:46 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

I got the same setup as you, MM and CC BEC and My switch is still working, just like your setup.... It is my believe that this is normal from what I read...
yelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

That is how the BEC works, It bypasses the ESC and sends power directly to the servos. So as soon as you plug in the battery the power goes to the servos. Then to get throttle control you must switch the ESC to the on position.
Josh87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the replies guys. It makes sense to me too, since the orange signal wire is still connected. However, with my rooster esc and bec, plugging in a battery powered up both the servo and esc. In e-mailing with Joe at CC, he also indicated that still having an operational switch with an external BEC was unusual. Just wanted to check and make sure I didn't fry $200 of electronics with a $20 BEC
Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The way Castle built things, the mamba won't arm until the internal BEC is turned on. I just hardwire the ESC on and remove the red wire so that the external BEC power doesn't get into the MM.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
The way Castle built things, the mamba won't arm until the internal BEC is turned on. I just hardwire the ESC on and remove the red wire so that the external BEC power doesn't get into the MM.
Thats what i did and it works fine, however sometimes when the voltage gets low and the rig is in a climb or bind i've noticed that i lose control of the throttle untill the load is taken of the motor.
SkR8pN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 07:26 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Hmm, ok. I like having the switch though, so I think I'll just leave it rather than removing it and hardwiring my esc on. As long as my BEC is working and not smoking any electronics, I'm happy Thanks again guys!
Old 04-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I run the same setup in my Clod... But I put an RX switch onto the BEC as well and have 2 switches to turn on when I run... Had the same thing with my RX packs on the ol' EVX.. It's kinds like having a dbl safety to ensure it never gets accidentally turned on as I run LiPo...;)
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote