Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Please help me out with this weird electical problem..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2005, 09:03 PM   #1

Default Please help me out with this weird electical problem..

Ok.. I have a TXT that been all haked up.. I run the 55 turn motor with the gd600 gear reduction system.. For servos I'm running 2 hi-tec 945.. For the speed control I have a super rooster running on ten cells... This is the problem I"m having.....

After about 3 or 4 minutes of play everything shuts off.. My servos have little power and my motor won't turn at all. After about 10 to 15 seconds of waiting thing start working again, but soon shut down again.. I'll admit that my speed control is a little warm, maybe about 120 degrees. Is this hot?? I can't imagin it's because of the motor i'm running.. Is it my servos that killing the speed control???
IF so how do I disable the BEC stuff on my speed control?? I've tried running a external batt. on the rec. and only hooking up the signal wire from my speed control... Is that how you're supposed to do it, but I run in to the same problems.. Any help anybody can give me on this problem would be great.. I've been racking my brain for the last 3 days trying to figure all this out, but haven't been able too..

Oh yea... This is the weird part.. I ran a 6cell pack the other day and notta darn thing happened.. Everything worked just fine.. Why would this work on 6 cells and not on 10 cells????? What's going on??????? PLEASE HELP ME.....

Todd..
opus444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2005, 09:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I'm not the best at this, but either you have a short somewhere or you are exceeding the max cell capacity of the rooster and causing it to overload/heat. I think it has a thermal overload sensor that resets after a few minutes, but I may be wrong...
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:09 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Tower's specs say 10 cells max. You said a single lathe? That shouldn't cause it to overdraw... Perhaps a short somewhere?
radishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:39 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

10 cells does decrease the BEC capacity. but you said that even with a reciever pack it still shuts down? what reciever are you running? you could have a defective esc. you should try another one if you have a spare.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 PM   #5

I'm running a 4 channle GWS rec. I have my 6channel plane radio hooked up to the crawler to I can have indipendent steering.. To answer the other question i'm running a single lathe motor...

Maybe that will make things a little clearer... Any other suggestions???

So If I"m running 10 cells that decreases my BEC??? I didn't know that. So Maybe i'm only getting 1 or 2 amps of BEC.. HECK.. I don't know.. I"m so confused...

Todd..
Old 06-30-2005, 10:14 PM   #6

Oh, yea.. Could I have my motor wired up backwards??? Would that even cause this problem???

I'm going to take two cells out of my battery configuration tonight and see if that helps any.. Maybe 10cells and two big servos are just too much for the speedo...

Todd...
Old 07-01-2005, 05:51 AM   #7

its a super rooster, unless its bad you should have no problems.

what size receiver is your gws thing? is it a micro or pico size?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM   #8

Yes.. It's a 4 channel micro sized receiver. I didn't think that would be much of a problem??? The receiver just sends signal and a bit of voltage (up to 6volts).. I know the thing will take six volts.

Todd..
Old 07-01-2005, 03:26 PM   #9

the amperage for the servos goes through it. i had a similar problem when i ran one. try a different radio if you can. otherwise you are going to need to make a power harness to run the servos parallel to the reciever.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:18 PM   #10

Wire the servos in parallel huh??? I never thought about that. How would one do that??? Would I have to run an external pack??
Old 07-02-2005, 12:48 AM   #11

the theory is to use the power from the roosters bec, and plug it into the radio but also leave a positive and ground available in between. that way your servos can drain the juice without having to go through the reciever first.

its a good idea for anybody running more than one digital servo, and a necessity for using small recievers. i dont have a pic or drawing handy, and i have to work at 8 in the morning. i will try to get something up tommorow unless somebody else beats me to it.
Old 07-02-2005, 07:59 PM   #12

he tried a reciever pack, and it didnt work.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:02 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

now i have this same problem on a different vehicle al together but still
i run no reciever pack - one servo - and it shuts down after about 30 secs - wait 5 secs and it back online ??

could this be related i think something is interferring with my signal - the aliens are coming
jimbobmarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 12:36 PM   #14

I would like a pic of how to run those servos in parellel if you could send one to me.. I would like to try it out because it just makes sense.

As far as trying a new radio that's not an option. I think I can find a differnt receiver, but not radio. Would a bigger receiver really help??

Until I find the answer to this I'll be running 7 cells.

Todd..
Old 07-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #15

you will need to make a harness. do you have a soldering iron and solder?

i will make one in paint, it might take me a while but i will get it up within 24 hours
Old 07-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #16

here ya go. im not very good at paint, but i hope you get the point. yellow is the signal wire (sometimes white). as you can see the power comes from one point in the harness, and then goes directly to the reciever and servos. that way the power doesnt have to travel through the reciever to get to the servos.
Attached Images