Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle BEC trouble anyone.....?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2008, 07:52 AM   #1
Who's your Daddy-0!

Exclamation Castle BEC trouble anyone.....?

So I Have a JR 8711 and of course I had to put a Castle in the rig to run it....Well the "1st" Castle got fried at the lake while crawling with JIA. No rhyme or reason? So I went back to the local hobby shop and my guy was nice enough to trade me out for a new one. All good right? Nope. I get home and put the new one in and now I have bad glitching! I check my set up and everything is done right. So I unhook the BEC and put on a receiver pack and it's all good? I hook the BEC back up and same crap again.....? So I get the Castle programer out and drop the voltage down from 6v to 4.8. Now it's great? I know the 8711 is pulling alot but the Castle should handle it with ease....I haven't seen anyone post anything about this prob yet so I thought I would share with you all. I've talked to a few of you at the meets and have heard some of the same things....Whats the deal with our BEC's!!!!!! If your wondering what my setup is, Novak Rooster Crawler with 55-50, Dx2.0, Jr8711, Castle BEC, on a Edge.....Has anyone else had this happen?
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default bec

me too i bought two of them because my f**ked up hobby shop wouldn't return the first one. mine was glitching bad then just shut out completly and the second one did the exact same thing
carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 10:59 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

I had the same issue. My first BEC lasted about 3-4 weeks. Went to my LHS and swapped it. Now I am having more glitching more than ever. I have my BEC programed at 6v. My buddy has a similar setup as I do and he had to replace his Rooster Crawler speedo because it didn't work with the BEC. I think it has to do with Castle BEC and Novak Rooster Crawler combo. What Speedo are you running Carver?
Brown4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Not sure if this is the cure to your prob as I dont know how your BEC is wired.
When I first setup my CC BEC I ran the red and black wire from the servo to the BEC and the yellow to the rx. I noticed serious glitching. But the glitching wasnt uniform and got worse the more control I used. So then I ran just the red wire to the BEC and the black and yellow wire to the rx. Problem solved. The servo needs to have a ground for the control wire appearantly.
Hope this helps
Rocksmith Eng. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #5
no talent hack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown4 View Post
I had the same issue. My first BEC lasted about 3-4 weeks. Went to my LHS and swapped it. Now I am having more glitching more than ever. I have my BEC programed at 6v. My buddy has a similar setup as I do and he had to replace his Rooster Crawler speedo because it didn't work with the BEC. I think it has to do with Castle BEC and Novak Rooster Crawler combo. What Speedo are you running Carver?
carver is using a mamba 25
Nabil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:37 PM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

I've never had a glitch or problem with mine. It's wired just like the instructions say.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:41 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Are you guys cutting/removing the red wire from the ESC into the Receiver?

This needs to be done to eliminate the ESc's BEC and Castles ESC from fighting and causing problems.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
So I Have a JR 8711 and of course I had to put a Castle in the rig to run it....Well the "1st" Castle got fried at the lake while crawling with JIA. No rhyme or reason? So I went back to the local hobby shop and my guy was nice enough to trade me out for a new one. All good right? Nope. I get home and put the new one in and now I have bad glitching! I check my set up and everything is done right. So I unhook the BEC and put on a receiver pack and it's all good? I hook the BEC back up and same crap again.....? So I get the Castle programer out and drop the voltage down from 6v to 4.8. Now it's great? I know the 8711 is pulling alot but the Castle should handle it with ease....I haven't seen anyone post anything about this prob yet so I thought I would share with you all. I've talked to a few of you at the meets and have heard some of the same things....Whats the deal with our BEC's!!!!!! If your wondering what my setup is, Novak Rooster Crawler with 55-50, Dx2.0, Jr8711, Castle BEC, on a Edge.....Has anyone else had this happen?

What's up Kenny? Kinda strange that it does it at 6 volts but not at 4.8. I was running my BEC at 6.8 volts on a 5955 with no issues when I was up in Augusta this past weekend and at the ECC.

I see someone else asked but you did take the red wire out of the plug? I figure you did but thought I would ask.

Maybe try like Rocksmith said, other than that I haven't a clue. I have been lucky with mine and haven't had any problems.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #9
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
I have been lucky with mine and haven't had any problems.
X2. I have owned 5 CC BEC's and not a single issue with any of them.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

"Glitching" can sometimes simply be solved by physically placing the bec elsewhere on your rig. Move it away from the receiver. Some brands and combinations of radio equipment do not play well together.

This may relate... I have my esc powering my receiver, giving it 4.8v, and my bec powering only the steering servo, giving it 6v. Rather than the bec putting the whole regulated voltage straight into my receiver as it appears the instructions imply. My BEC is a home-brew PWM(switching) construction but changing the leads on a commercial model would be easy. Risky? Maybe. Invalidate warranty? Maybe. ;)

After reading this page I'm glad I build in over-voltage protection.
http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...advisory2.html
Mr_Freeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 07:19 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Isolate your ESC from the voltage drop caused by the amp draw from your servos, Testneticly speaking of course

I had to run my CC BEC through a Y harness, to the Rx (with the red wire pulled), and then to my steer servo.
Damn Spektrum wouldn't have it any other way.

By bypassing the red wire from the ESC, now all you need from it is the signal, and a - ground. The BEC is giving the + power.

Edit: Re-read thread. Just like Rocksmith said

Last edited by BigRocks; 04-24-2008 at 07:21 AM.
BigRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:43 AM   #12
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
What's up Kenny? Kinda strange that it does it at 6 volts but not at 4.8. I was running my BEC at 6.8 volts on a 5955 with no issues when I was up in Augusta this past weekend and at the ECC.

I see someone else asked but you did take the red wire out of the plug? I figure you did but thought I would ask.

Maybe try like Rocksmith said, other than that I haven't a clue. I have been lucky with mine and haven't had any problems.
Yea, I Removed the pos. side of the speedo from the Reciever.....I did power and ground on the BEC to the bat side of the ESC. Just soldered it to it....
I still have a little glitch now, no bad but enough to tic-me-off.....And you looked at my rig.....it's wired CLEAN! I can't figure it out.....
Old 04-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

I have had nothing but trouble with mine.Smoked the first one in about an hour,smoked the second one in about 15 minutes.I have 2 more but am afraid to put them in so far my bec in the rooster crawler esc is up to the task.I think there is a bad batch of these ccbec's out there and it sounds like you got some bad ones.

I find it interesting that the 10 amp bec's plugs are only rated at 5amp says so on the package,it also says its 10 amp capabilities are based off 5 mph airflow across unit.Has youre unit gottin hot?
rockmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 02:07 PM   #14
Who's your Daddy-0!

He is the set-up on my rig....
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

I hear some people have good luck by pulling the SIGNAL wire from the BEC. especially with 2.4 radios.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:16 PM   #16

I had an aftermarket electronic ignition in my truck with an add-on module to allow me to adjust timing without moving the distributor. Long story-short...............I had serious problems with the system that turned out to be self-inflicted. I had all the signal wires routed real neat and tidy, this caused the signals to cross. I'd loosen up the tie wrap on the wiring and spread the wires out, nothing to lose by trying.
sedanman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 10:19 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
I hear some people have good luck by pulling the SIGNAL wire from the BEC. especially with 2.4 radios.

Yep, pull the signal wire Kenny and try that.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:36 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Kenny,
I hooked mine up and glitch galore!
Read CC's recomendations and removed the orange signal wire from the BEC and WALLA! No more glitch.
Set at 6 volts.
Same receiver and a Rooster Goat.
skid plate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 03:42 PM   #19
Who's your Daddy-0!

Sweet I will try that tonight and see what happens! I would be nice to be able to set the voltage back to 6v instead of the 4.8 I had to drop it to. It would suck to have dropped the $$$ on this 8711 and not get to use all the torque it has! Thanks guys for all the help, maybe tonight I'll have some good news!
Old 04-27-2008, 09:21 AM   #20
Official Cook of the ECC

Any luck Kenny?
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote