Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Pistol Grip controls

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 AM   #1

Default Pistol Grip controls

Does anyone (Futaba, HiTec, etc) make a pistol grip control that doesnt feel like it is Chinese garbage. The few that I have played with, including my Magnum JR from the early 90s always felt chinsey/cheap. I am looking for advise from those who have owned several different pistol grip controls. My only real concern for features would be that I would like a 3 channel radio and possibly servo mixing as I plan to run 4WS on a crawler.

Thanks
RB_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-28-2008, 03:01 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

i agree, most have felt pretty cheap. hey, i see you are in houston also, we should go tear it up some time.

Last edited by jc052685; 04-28-2008 at 03:03 AM. Reason: cause i can, what are you gonna do 'bout it?
jc052685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Out of all the handsets I've used I would say that the DX3R is the best feeling. You can also swap the wheel from left to righ which is a nice.
Tupers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 07:14 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I LOVE my dx3
Trimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:06 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

hmmm.... mine always felt cheap... then again, I always buy the cheapest radios too. My old one feels the best. Something about a rubber wheel instead of hard plastic or foam.
chevy42083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have always been partial to Airtronics I current use a MX-3s on every rig except my scaler. I use a TQ3 on the scaler since it sees alot of water.

All Airtronics radios are very well made and feel like it!
carbonuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:26 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

...are the 'Chinese' references entirely necessary in this post? I feel they are out of place and uncalled for...

...and yes i know will get flamed for this opinion...

...i think you will find that alot of Futaba / Hitec stuff is made in Taiwan anyway...
BitHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:47 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

hitec is made in the philippines or korea.
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:44 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

chinese=cheap
calcat430d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:40 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitHed View Post
...are the 'Chinese' references entirely necessary in this post? I feel they are out of place and uncalled for...

...and yes i know will get flamed for this opinion...

...i think you will find that alot of Futaba / Hitec stuff is made in Taiwan anyway...
Quote:
Originally Posted by calcat430d View Post
chinese=cheap
Ding!!!!! Round 1

LOL

You get what ya pay for I have always found. I have had probably 4 Futaba's and one Spektrum. The older Futaba's felt pretty sturdy, but the newer ones don't.

Hopefully the DX3R feels sturdy at its hefty price?!
O.C.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #11
RCC Addict

airtronics feel pretty good I own an m11 and love it!!
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_Steve View Post
Chinese garbage
...this is the phrase I was talking about...And as has been mentioned, you get what you pay for

...ok...i realise now that i never should have bothered posting my comment in the first place...back to your scheduled programming...
BitHed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitHed View Post
...this is the phrase I was talking about...And as has been mentioned, you get what you pay for

...ok...i realise now that i never should have bothered posting my comment in the first place...back to your scheduled programming...
Was not looking to ruffle feathers the first time out but it is always a bonus to exceed expectations (even your own). I deal with (Mainland) China suppliers in the course of my business and I have had to weed out the cheap crap. Yes, you get what you pay for but you can also research and pay less for a superior product. There was a time in the US that Japanese products were thought of as cheap crap...it took many years BUT Japan surmounted that hurdle and today, most Americans would take a product made in Japan any day over the same thing made in any other Pacific Rim country. The Japanese have improved and perceptions has changed. Today, China carries the torch (LOL no pun intended) for the "cheap crap" moniker. Remember, perception IS the reality that people live in. Also, last time I cheacked, Taiwan was subjugate to or territory of China allowing my label to apply to cheap products produced there; but I have not checked recently. Granted, Futaba (a Japanese company) could choose to produce their products in Japan but they do not. They could also have the Taiwan plant build their units to a higher level of quality, but they do not. In this example, three parties are to blame (the third being the consumer who wants to pay next to nothing for everything). Someday, items produced in China (and Taiwan) will be looked upon favorably, but not today.

I understand that many radios on the market today are of good quality from the electronics perspective, but I want something that FEELS like quality in my hand.

Thanks to ALL who have responded with suggestions. I will be "test driving" the radios mentioned before I make a purchase.

Final Thought - Reality of living in today's world: You can TRY not to offend anyone but then you end up leading a life that offends yourself. Worst yet, you will still offend someone by the simple fact that you have your own opionion or because you simply exist! Oh well.
RB_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

:-( I find this post racist.

There is supply when there is a demand. Don't blame Chinese for making cheap crappy stuff, blame yourself not making enough money to buy something more expensive.

It is crappy, but not because it's build by Chinese, it's because it's cheap. So equating Chinese to Crappy stuff is racist.

How would you feel if I say, can anyone point me to a 10k car? I always feel the ford focus built by american are crappy. I want something more like a BMW.

So, please...
jayliu1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayliu1984 View Post

There is supply when there is a demand. Don't blame Chinese for making cheap crappy stuff, blame yourself not making enough money to buy something more expensive.

It is crappy, but not because it's build by Chinese, it's because it's cheap. So equating Chinese to Crappy stuff is racist.
X2

I feel this thread has indeed gone down a dark path.:-(
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 10:24 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

I like my 3PK (not Super). Nice and hefty, and the grip is nice.
firebat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:15 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayliu1984 View Post

How would you feel if I say, can anyone point me to a 10k car? I always feel the ford focus built by american are crappy. I want something more like a BMW.

So, please...

I dont think there was any condemnation to the chinese race or any other race. I dont see this as a racist post. What I see is someone with not enough inteligence to realise that RB_STEVE was specificaly asking a good question. He wanted to know who made a good yet reasonably priced transmiter that meets his needs and did not feel like it was made to some standard of lowest possable cost to manufacture rather than real world function (ie. some piece of "chinese garbage"). this does not mean china only produces garbage. What it states is that china is world leader in this feild of producing electronics that are only good to put at the curb on garbage day. I am sure that if you were to point out a radio that was made in china and meet his standards (not being "garbage") that he would be happy to consider the the item in question. Feel free to coment on this RB_STEVE!!
jc052685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

here here!! how many recalls do we hear of for products made in china that are potentially hazardous? Lots! Thus equating the chinese made=garbage surface appearance. This isn't to say all Chinese products are total trash, but many are sub par as compared to taiwanese, japanese, and especially many euro makes.

Now, on to the subject at hand...I have a Nomadio Sensor, which to me felt about the cheesiest of build quality initially. The plastic felt awkward and "Fisher Price-ish", but when you get beyond the initial feel, it is a SMOKIN' radio system!! It is made in the USA, and carries a 3 year warranty! Now the downside. They are a major contractor for the US Military, and those contracts are taking priority over any and all hobby production. The technology is way more advanced than most every radio out there. Mine is a 4 channel system out of the box, so you have expansion room without a big future expense, built in telemetry, and is software upgradable (both the control and transceivers), so they are very flexible.

I had previously used an M11 with a Spektrum and was very happy. No complaints at all, and that probably was the most solid feeling radio I have used in a long time. My friend uses KO Propo, and his EX-1 Helios is very nice also. You really need to handle several, check features, and see what fits your needs best. I have been in the R/C hobby for 20 years, and have used a bunch of radios from Magnums (many variants), XL2P, CX2P, Caliber 3PS, M3, M8, M11, you name it...I handled the new DX3 Spektrum last weekend, and that is another odd radio that is comfortable with TONS of features...Who cares where they are made, just fill your needs as best as possible with comfort in mind. Good Luck man
dr.chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

most radios today feel cheesy.its all in the ergonomics. a light radio with soft springs is more comfy over the long run than a 2 pound brick that you need a pry bar to overcome the springs.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 06:46 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

I have a futuba and its not bad. going to the LHS to trade that one and add $20 to get a lcd screen and a better feel.
madmax22 is offline   Reply With Quote