Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Nomadio React pros/cons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2008, 09:13 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Nomadio React pros/cons?

I'm eyeballing the react for my next radio, but have heard rumblings about people on the board not liking them. Anyone out there in Crawlerland have any feeback? I'll probably be getting a used one, if that makes any difference.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2008, 09:17 AM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

The radio is awesome, the trancievers suck badly.

I have blown like 5 or 6 of the transcievers. The radio will work fine though with spektrum recievers, but then you loose the 4th channel. I got my DX3R and sold the React.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:19 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The quick rate the battery runs down is the worst thing with the React. I'm thinking of doing exactly what Jason did. I'm itching to try another radio. Anyone want to buy a React?
Cloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:52 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

i have a react and i freaking love it.......other than the super short battery life and rediculous charge time. but thats easily fixxed by a new battery and an external charger...which im currently trying to find. i love that its adjustable from the computer and updatable. plus having 4 channels is great. if you can get one for a good deal id jump on it.....
cmdrpopnfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:56 PM   #5
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloak View Post
The quick rate the battery runs down is the worst thing with the React. I'm thinking of doing exactly what Jason did. I'm itching to try another radio. Anyone want to buy a React?
A local club member has a Nomadio and cannot get through a single day of crawling before the transmitter is dead. He constantly turns the TX on and off to try and make the battery last. What I mean by that is, if we are playing follow the leader, talking, or if he is waiting for something, he turns off the transmitter while the crawler is still ready to go so that he can preserve the TX battery life. I suppose you could upgrade the stock pack to a lipo (I did that with my DX6 in order to go weeks between charges).

He has been rare in that the transceiver has been fine for him, but he is using Spektrum RX's with his Nomadio with his other crawlers. More and people are getting the DX3R and loving it. That would be my suggestion.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Keep it real

There are a whole bunch of guys who have been running the nomadios up here in the PNW, with no issues.
My mod for the React battery:
cut the plug off the stock battery, solder in a deans, and build 4cell packs out of 2/3A cells, or 4/5A cells. You can charge them on your regular charger, they last longer than the stocker, and they are a lot cheaper than buying a custom pack for the React.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Never had any real issues with mine until a screw got stripped and got the royal ass wipe treatment from Customer service. When they made it apparent to me that they are focusing on the military side and the hobby side gets no love I decided to jump ship.

I picked up a DX3R and it is a good replacement. The DX3R takes alkalines which makes it nice for a quick swap when needed. Fit and feel is nice. The fact you can lay it down more than just one way makes it nice. Reaction is just as fast and has almost as many functions as the Nomadio. The availability of RX's is a winner as well.

The wins for the Nomadio is you can hook it up to your computer which made it nice for upgrades, inputting data and changing buttons and such. I used an external charger for my nomadio and it would work just fine. It is stamped 800 mah but for some reason would peak at 1300+. Never had any issues with the transceivers at all.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I like mine. I put a 6 cell nimh pack inside with a CC BEC turning it down to 5.5v. Runs all day.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:07 PM   #9
Adilynsdad too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
The radio is awesome, the trancievers suck badly.

I have blown like 5 or 6 of the transcievers. The radio will work fine though with spektrum recievers, but then you loose the 4th channel. I got my DX3R and sold the React.
Same exact thing here...
braceysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:06 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I HAD the Sensor (sold tonight on Ebay)..Never once used the crap stock batteries or POS charger. From the first day I turned it on, I put in an Apogee LiMn Magnum 1500 2s batt with a losi reg on it...Always ran my backlight on, and I had only charged it 4-5 times since November!! No joke. It worked bitchin', and I programmed the warning to kick on at 5.5 volts so I never killed the battery. Took a bit of figuring since the full charge was like 8.4 volts or something, and with the reg on it, the system only saw 6 volts even though it was higher. I HIGHLY recommend to anyone running Nomadio to go that route if you have a lipo charger handy...

I am getting the DX3R though to replace it. Not feeling too comfortable with Nomadio being disco'd at every major retailer. Tower, Hobby People, A Main, you name it...All killing off Nomadio. I never had a problem, but should one arise, I like to know I will get support...Really liked the radio for all of it's progamming features and firmware upgrades it allowed...Just bulky transceivers, but had telemtry built in, and in my Kyosho 777sp2, I used the voltage sensor since I also run lipo there too! I think the speed thing is stupid over kill, but some may actually use it?? Temp is cool too, but I never used it. Overall nice, too bad they are more focused on the military and not hobby...
dr.chop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 08:35 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I love both my React and Sensor, great radios and awesome customer service directly from Nomadio. Ben using them for about 2 years and I have not had any real problems that ALL 2.4Ghz have haven't had.
Unfortunetly the Military has used up most of Nomadio's resources and they are way behind on production.
Miller Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote