Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: anyone use a 18th scale brushless in a 10th scale rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2008, 08:43 PM   #1

Default anyone use a 18th scale brushless in a 10th scale rig?

I'm looking to save weight in my Scorpion and after searching around a few hours I can't find an answer. Right now I run a 6cell NiMH and the Rooster/55T combo. The ESC seems a bit big and a 540 sized motor is heavy. Since a crawler doesn't need a high winding motor I wonder if you can use a smaller scale brushless setup in a larger rig?

I see people use the Sidewinder Micro ESC already. Is this ever a problem? Since there's no heatsink I wonder if it gets hot. My Rooster/55T setup never gets warm since the rig is just crawling so maybe crawlers don't need cooled ESCs?

Do you think a CC CM-2042 motor which is meant for 18th sacle would be powerful enough to move a Scorpion well? Do brushless motors have similar or twice as much torque to their comparably sized brushed equivalents? I realize mounting a smaller motor would require an adapter.

Last edited by takman; 05-19-2008 at 08:47 PM.
takman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by takman View Post
I'm looking to save weight in my Scorpion and after searching around a few hours I can't find an answer. Right now I run a 6cell NiMH and the Rooster/55T combo. The ESC seems a bit big and a 540 sized motor is heavy. Since a crawler doesn't need a high winding motor I wonder if you can use a smaller scale brushless setup in a larger rig?

I see people use the Sidewinder Micro ESC already. Is this ever a problem? Since there's no heatsink I wonder if it gets hot. My Rooster/55T setup never gets warm since the rig is just crawling so maybe crawlers don't need cooled ESCs?

Do you think a CC CM-2042 motor which is meant for 18th sacle would be powerful enough to move a Scorpion well, or do brushless motor have similar torque? I realize mounting a smaller motor would require an adapter.
You'd be allot better off with a 30mm motor. From my experience,the little motors have a hard time starting up unless you gear them stupidly low. Some motors will do better/worse than others though. Personally,I won't ever run anything smaller than a 3014 outrunner in a crawler. You can check out Holmes Hobbies in my sig line. He's got allot of quality outrunners that work great....several flavors to choose from. For all out smoothness,you'll be hard pressed to beat a brushed motor.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

beckworks used one in a planetary gear tranny. It worked good the day I saw it run. May want to look around and see if he did a build thread on it( I think it was for his wife).

It was very loud too.....
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Queen Cobra
SACCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I would say if you could find one with enough turns (20 somthing), you might be able to pull it off. at 4200 kv, you are still too high speed for even a 540 size brushless.

you would be better off picking up a small outrunner.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote