Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Could this be used as a low cost power supply for charger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 01:50 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Could this be used as a low cost power supply for charger?

I might be getting a lipo charger that is DC only (haven't decided yet). There are some deals out there but it's the power supply that kills you cost wise. I found these on ebay. 12v 5 amp would work for powering the charger charging the small lipo packs with power to spare. My question is this... The plug you see on the end of this thing (like plugs into a laptop), if you cut that off, would there be 2 wires inside that you could attach to a deans plug for hooking to your battery charger??

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-12-Volt-DC-P...QQcmdZViewItem

I mean because basically this looks like what Novak sells for $40 in the 5amp "black box". $12 shipped is considerably cheaper.
Larry62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Location: Ramstein Air Base Germany ...ya Ive been Ramshafted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry62 View Post
I might be getting a lipo charger that is DC only (haven't decided yet). There are some deals out there but it's the power supply that kills you cost wise. I found these on ebay. 12v 5 amp would work for powering the charger charging the small lipo packs with power to spare. My question is this... The plug you see on the end of this thing (like plugs into a laptop), if you cut that off, would there be 2 wires inside that you could attach to a deans plug for hooking to your battery charger??

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-12-Volt-DC-P...QQcmdZViewItem

I mean because basically this looks like what Novak sells for $40 in the 5amp "black box". $12 shipped is considerably cheaper.
If your question is, will the 5 amps be sufficiant? I would have to say no. I just bumped your ebay product specs against all of the power supply's on tower hobbies. The lowest Amp rating is 10 amps and the highest one is 36 amps. And yes you could cut the plug off the end of the output wires and use a deans connector on them, you would just have to check the polarity on the wires before soldering. If you want a very educated answer, go to John Holmes help thread and ask him about this.

By the way I spent $80 on my AC/DC charger, it charges Lipo's, Ni-MH, and Nicad. I love that sharger!!! Its the AC/DC Vision Peak Ultra. It does everything but discharge. Find it here: http://store.largescalerc.com/dyn4053.html

For the money I would realy just look into this rather than going with a power supply and charger, just two more things to go wrong, lug around, ect, ect with the charger I bought Its all there in one package and I also bought the Lipo balancer from www.commonsenserc.com well actualy my LHS carries thier producs but you get the point. If you want to see the Lipo balancer go here: http://www.commonsenserc.com/product...roducts_id=184 It works very well, I havent had any problems with my Lipo's.

Hope this helps
CCFBERG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 03:12 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry62 View Post
My question is this... The plug you see on the end of this thing (like plugs into a laptop), if you cut that off, would there be 2 wires inside that you could attach to a deans plug for hooking to your battery charger??
Thanks for the info I'll look that over. In the mean time, this (above) was my question...

I use to have a Novak 5 amp black box which worked fine as long as you didn't charge over 4 amps. since I can only charge a 1500 lipo at 1.5 amps, the power is sufficient. My question is about the plug though...
Old 05-22-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
MWRCA'er

Yes, I bought one similar to that when the computers monitor power supply took a crap. It was universal it came with several universal plugs that had a two prong connection. Two wires have to be all the runs through.

Now as to if it will work for your application? Who knows? Mine gets really hot just running the monitor.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 05:37 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

You would just need to chop the wires and hook them into your charger. It would work for low charge rates if you need a PS.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 06:03 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Many thanks
Old 05-22-2008, 10:18 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

I know this isn't what you asked, but if you were interested in making a more powerful unit, check this out.
http://www.marcee.org/Articles/PCPowerSupply.htm
I had a spare power supply laying around, so it basically didn't cost me anything and I have been using it for a few years now. I have run both my dc chargers off of it at the same time.
Maggster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #8

i made my power supply out of an old computer power box i can get up to 17.5 amp out or it and it has it own build in cooling plus it has other safety features on it that other dont it was very easy and cheep i have pics of it and could tell you how to do it if you like just ask
sevacko is offline   Reply With Quote