Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: CC Sidewinder w/ Novak FiftyFive dragbrake

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2008, 09:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CC Sidewinder w/ Novak FiftyFive dragbrake

I have a AX10 with a Futabe 3PM FM, CC Sidewinder, Novak 55t, and stock gearing. I have the ESC programed to have 100% dragbrake and all EPA set. Right now its almost as though I have zero dragbrake. When I'm climbing up hill as soon as I let off the throttle it will start to roll back. It does this in both directions. If I just sit my rig on an incline it will roll if the incline is more then 45deg, its the same with the ESC off. Ive read up about this problem with other setups but though the Novak motor would hold better. Any ideas as to what else I can do? I would buy another motor but $$$ is a little tight right now and would like to make what I already have work if possible. Would gearing down help out any? If so who makes a smaller pinion that will work with the AX10?
Thanks
HiloDB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2008, 10:11 PM   #2
TEAM MODERATOR

Not sure why the Novak 55t would hold any better than any other 55t. A lathe motor is a lathe motor. Stickers don't change performance.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 10:17 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well from what I've read stronger springs and magnets help. I was hoping the Novak was strong enough.
Old 05-31-2008, 03:52 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

sidewinder has a "drag" brake not a "hold" brake like the rooster. The sidewinder will slow you down when going down a hill and if you are rolling slightly you can blip the throttle in the opposite direction, then it will hold. Doesn't work the same as a rooster crawler where you just let off the throttle and the brake slams on. Going from a rooster to a sidewinder takes a little getting use to because of the brake, but the sidewinder is way better IMO.
allgm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 07:01 AM   #5
RCC Addict

yes the drag brake slows the decent, but with a brushed motor the drag brake is much weaker. heavier springs will help, but still not be great. with a bl motor i had to drop it down to 60% just so it would roll slightly on a steep decent.
the "hold" of a rooster crawler IMO is useless because it holds then totally releases. so in a decent you are trying to creep down, then it rolls, locks up, then flips
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 02:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by emaxxjeremy View Post
yes the drag brake slows the decent, but with a brushed motor the drag brake is much weaker. heavier springs will help, but still not be great. with a bl motor i had to drop it down to 60% just so it would roll slightly on a steep decent.
the "hold" of a rooster crawler IMO is useless because it holds then totally releases. so in a decent you are trying to creep down, then it rolls, locks up, then flips
What kind of BL do you suggest using?
Old 05-31-2008, 03:06 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by allgm1
sidewinder has a "drag" brake not a "hold" brake like the rooster. The sidewinder will slow you down when going down a hill and if you are rolling slightly you can blip the throttle in the opposite direction, then it will hold. Doesn't work the same as a rooster crawler where you just let off the throttle and the brake slams on. Going from a rooster to a sidewinder takes a little getting use to because of the brake, but the sidewinder is way better IMO.
I guess my Sidewinder is defective then. My 2.2 will stop and hang on an incline just going to the neutral position. My 14r will do the same. I'm running a Mamba Max in it,guess it's defective as well.

The drag brake will only work as good as the motor will hold. Any of your standard can lathe motors will only hold so much because the magnets are weaker than others. Step up to a cobalt motor or quality outrunner and your break will work better.

Can you adjust the "hold" break in your Novak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDB1
What kind of BL do you suggest using?
If I were to go brushless again,depending on the rig I was building,I would go with either a Hyperion motor or a Scorpion motor. Both are high quality motors IMO. The Scorpion 3020-14
is a great little outrunner for a 2.2 class rig. For a super class rig,I'd probably go with a Scorpion 3032-8t. I've run both Scorpion and Hyperion motors and the brake would work well enough to flip the rig over on itself if you came to a quick stop running wide open.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:23 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Ok I got the outrunner motor plate and a Hyperion outrunner motor to try out. The drage brake works way better then with the brushed motor. Now are outrunner motors supposed to make a lot of noise?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:30 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiloDB1 View Post
Now are outrunner motors supposed to make a lot of noise?

Ahhhh the sounds of horsepower Yes,an outrunner will squeel,squawk and chirp around struting it's stuff.

The key with an outrunner is low gearing and high voltage.

Whats your final drive ratio and voltage? What motor are you running?
Old 05-31-2008, 10:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'm running the stock Axial gearing. Not sure what the final ratio is. I'm not running a lot of voltage right now only a 8 cell 2/3a pack. I am looking at upping it to a 3s lipo. The motor I found out is on the small size but for now it will work, its a hp-z2213. I will probably change it out when I start competing.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:51 PM   #11
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
I'm running the stock Axial gearing. Not sure what the final ratio is. I'm not running a lot of voltage right now only a 8 cell 2/3a pack. I am looking at upping it to a 3s lipo. The motor I found out is on the small size but for now it will work, its a hp-z2213. I will probably change it out when I start competing.
I can't remember off the top of my head what the factory tranny and axle ratio's are. I just took a stab at it with 2.6 for the tranny and 3.4 for the axle.

Spur divided by the pinion. Multiply that by the tranny and then your axle.....thats your final ratio. Just guessing at it,I figured 54:1. That might be way off,I'd look around to confirm the numbers and refigure them. I'd shoot for somewhere in the 75-80:1 area and bump up to a 3 cell. That should wake that motor up a little and help with the cogging(the noise your refering to).

That motor is a little small. A smaller motor will need lower gearing and higher voltage to perform the same as a larger one. If you like the brushless thing,shoot for a 30mm motor. Like the 3020-14,that stands for 30mm diameter,20mm length and 14 winds. That'd be a haus of a motor for a 2.2 rig.

With whats available right now,brushless will never be as smooth as a good brushed motor. An outrunner can be set up to work pretty good though and you'll have lots of power.

Last edited by Reflection; 05-31-2008 at 11:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2008, 10:55 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks a lot for your help .
Old 06-03-2008, 01:08 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I have a AX10 with a Futabe 3PM FM, CC Sidewinder, Novak 55t, and stock gearing. I have the ESC programed to have 100% dragbrake and all EPA set. Right now its almost as though I have zero dragbrake. When I'm climbing up hill as soon as I let off the throttle it will start to roll back. It does this in both directions. If I just sit my rig on an incline it will roll if the incline is more then 45deg, its the same with the ESC off. Ive read up about this problem with other setups but though the Novak motor would hold better. Any ideas as to what else I can do? I would buy another motor but $$$ is a little tight right now and would like to make what I already have work if possible. Would gearing down help out any? If so who makes a smaller pinion that will work with the AX10?
Thanks
I have the same problem with my sidewinder, 55t motor combo. It wont hold on a hill. Whats interesting is I never had the problem when I had a tq3 receiver and then wehn I upgraded to a dsx3r it started happening, weird.
v10king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 03:18 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

[quote=v10king;1212122]I have the same problem with my sidewinder, 55t motor combo. It wont hold on a hill. Whats interesting is I never had the problem when I had a tq3 receiver and then wehn I upgraded to a dsx3r it started happening, weird.[/quote

Dont think the radio would really make any diff. Check you epa's and if I am not mistaken the dx3r has abs and all those goodies that may screw with the end result. I would recheck your manual for those things.
rn38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I have the same set-up (sidewinder and novak 55t). For the wiring, this is the diagram that I need to follow... correct? I pulled it from the novak site

A goes to the battery

B goes to the motor

the rest go to the esc

I'm more concerned about the third wire coming off of the esc when the motor only accepts two.

Last edited by helhedded; 06-09-2008 at 11:23 AM.
helhedded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

No it shows how to wire it in the manual. They actually covered this on this forum when the castle sidewinder came out. On the motor to esc red to red, black to black, the white just hangs in limbo. That is if you are going to run brushed reverse. It has wireing for HI Power forward only but I assume its for a crawler so you would need reverse. You also have to program your esc for the brushed motor with reverse. Castle link helps here.

Good luck guys
rn38 is offline   Reply With Quote