Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ok... How Dangerous are LiPo Batteries really?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Question Ok... How Dangerous are LiPo Batteries really?

I am just about ready to order batteries for my new (first) crawler, and my being new to this, reading about a battery being about to catch fire... needing a LiPo sack for transporting...

Just exactly how dangerous are these batteries. I don't want to burn down my house just for the sake of having a LiPo.

I am planning on using a Hyperion EOS06061 ac/dc charger.
The rig is an AX-10, Sidewinder, Revolver Outrunner, CC-BEC.

Battery will either be:
3C 2200mah, LiPo
or
8s elite saddle pack
HaSharetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaSharetz View Post
I am just about ready to order batteries for my new (first) crawler, and my being new to this, reading about a battery being about to catch fire... needing a LiPo sack for transporting...

Just exactly how dangerous are these batteries. I don't want to burn down my house just for the sake of having a LiPo.

Battery will either be:
3C 2200mah, LiPo
or
8s elite saddle pack
for one you only need a 2s lipo. 11.1v is too much you don't need a lipo sac if you don't want it. when charging it don't put to many amps threw it. it will eventually blow up if you put to much threw it always check on it periodically. dont puncture it. other that that lipos are great.

p.s.they are cool as hell when they explode
Kranberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 02:49 PM   #3

Lipo technology has really improved sense they first came out. The old ones are the ones you have to worry about. Just follow the instructions and you should be fine.
WipeOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

You've got a great charger, like cj said charge at low amps and I would suggest be present to supervise the charging don't leave them unattended and you'll have no problems.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Make sure the charger is on the right setting and that your LVC is set on the ESC. They are still very dangerous, but with proper handling you won't have a problem.

I recommend 3s for the outrunner, and a lipo sack is a VERY good idea.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

the only problem with lipo fires is that they don't go out easy. NIMH batteries are the ones that REALLY explode. I saw a guy's entire body blow up when on of the cells on his nimh pack blew. that was cool.

Lipos aren't bad as long as you treat them proper.
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

its interesting how harmless a lipo battery is when the contents are the most dangerous.... as long as the battery isn't punctured or dunked in water then you should be fine.... Its really cool what happens with lithium when it comes into with any moisture... Lithium is naturally very reactive chemical and is the main reason why it isn't found in ints elemental state. Since it is so reactive it very easily gives up its first electron to water (moisture) and creates lithium oixde. Now this happens at an extemely fast rate while a little cloud of hdydrogen builds up above it. Hydrogen is very flamable and from the heat of the lithium oxide being created it catches fire!!!! But since they are covered and they are lithium ions in a polymer then you really dont have to worry as long as you follow the instructions.

Sorry about the explination I'm a chemistry major and love seeing these reactions lol8-)
Redronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 05:35 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaSharetz View Post

Battery will either be:
3C 2200mah, LiPo
or
8s elite saddle pack

With that charger, follow the manual and MAKE sure the charger is set for the specific lipo pack you are charging. I have the EOS 51 AC/DC Hyperion charger, and you input mah rating and number of cells, hook it up to the balancer and away you go. Keep the batts away from sharp objects when traveling...I keep them in the boxes I bought them in, in a separate part of my Mechanix Wear gear bag, away from everything else. Just be smarter than the battery and you will be fine as everyone else has said

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjkranwinkle@cableone.net View Post
for one you only need a 2s lipo. 11.1v is too much
Meh speak for yourself, everything I have runs on 11.1V but then again I am over built and LOVE stupid amounts of power There is no such thing as too much power
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I have that exact same charger and I use it with 2000, 6000, and 8000 mah 2S LiPo batteries. It's quite easy to just follow the instructions and you won't have anything to worry about. Most of the fires and explosions that you here about are caused by extreme misuse of the battery. I was worried ebcause of all the hype, but I now have 6 LiPo batteries and it's much easier than I thought that it would be. I use my RC girl calendar and mark the date when I cycle them and charge them so I don't let to much time go between cycles. I always keep them around half charge, or a lil above.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 07:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Lipos should be charged at a 1c rate, which is simply 1x the mAH of the pack ie; 3300mAH charges at 3.3 amps, 5000mAH charges at 5.0 amps, etc.

Most quality chargers that are Lipo capable default to this charge rate, and once the maximum voltage is reached, the charger will drop the charge rate to a lower level. This drasticaly lowers the voltage input, since it has peaked, but allows the mAh to reach its full capacity. Some chargers allow the user to adjust the Lipo charge rate, however you should have a solid understanding of these cells before tweaking rates.

As was said, if you attempt to push too high of a charge rate through a Lipo, fire may result.

Essentialy what occurs is that the pack will swell until it reaches its breaking point, then it ignites and will incinerate itself and anything that it is on, or near, pretty much instantly.

I've been charging my Max Amps Lipo on my trusty Triton 2 for a about 9 months now, and have never had any issues. Blinky balancer while charging, and short term storage at full charge...long term storage at 50% charge. Lipo power is killer, don't be intimidated, just be smart
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 11:08 PM   #11

had a rec. pack nimh on nitro truggy blow up next to me in the pits. from that i now know batterys are powerfull. care needs to be taken no matter what cell type your using
nismotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 01:12 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

As I tell all my customers who call me with the same questions. If your not an idiot, lipo's aren't dangerous. All lipo problems are a result of user error. A lipo ABSOLUTELY CAN NOT catch fire, explode, or do anything else without something being done wrong. Always use a balancer while charging, Never charge more than 1C, and dont charge/store near anything flamable and you should be fine. Even if you puncture one or short it out... they're not that bad, it's the charging stage that gets dangerous. So just common sense and care goes along ways with these guys. Other wise they'r awesome batts
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Adding to Nismos post:

IB had a serious issue with their 4200 W.C. NiMH cells. Well, at least SMC had an issue with their cells, so much so that they actualy shut down their site while they revamped and found a new battery company.

They were bursting in the pits while on charge, and occasionaly in cars and trucks also. A friend of mine had 2 of his 4200 W.C. packs blow a cell while on charge in his apartment...neighbors thought someone got shot

So, care should always be taken regardless of the type of cells you are using, even good old reliable Sub-C's can have issues.

Lipo's are fantastic and have allowed our hobby to grow tremendously...just pay attention and all is well.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 08:14 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks everyone.

Wows, big names... thanks Chris, thanks John.

I appriciate the input, it makes the choice easier.
If I didn't get with a 3s Lipo I would just use a 6-8 cell saddle pack.

I love crazy power... i am the kind of guy that would pull the 4.0L 6cyl out of a jeep and replace it with a blown Hemi, because it fits and just in case I every needed the power it would be there. I have watched a bunch of videos on this site and understand this is a S L O W sport, but who wouldn't like their rig to clear the 1 foot gap with Big Air if they could do it. (go see the Tanis rock racer vid)

This setup should give me a range (as in projectile) of around three feet at 45 degree launch.

Perfect

once again thanks
HaSharetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

All I can add to this is that people worry too damn much.
Lipos can take a pretty good beating, just ask anyone who flies electric planes.
Trust me, as a flier as well, I can tell you that my planes have crashed a hell of a lot harder then any crawler ever will :-P
Shaggy5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:05 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggy5050 View Post
All I can add to this is that people worry too damn much.
Lipos can take a pretty good beating, just ask anyone who flies electric planes.
Trust me, as a flier as well, I can tell you that my planes have crashed a hell of a lot harder then any crawler ever will :-P

You've got that right!!! As a Flier I to have spanked a few packs into the tarmac and have never had an issue. As Chris stated and in the lists upon lists of Li-Po related accidents about 95% of these accidents happened when a user set the charger incorrectly, charged unattended, Or they tried to charge a pack that had obvious issues such a cell damage or a puffed or swelled cell. But also take note that if a pack is shorted out by either the wires or puctured by a metal object far enought to go thru two cells you'll get the same nasty reaction. The Li-Po sacks are great for charging but when storing packs use a good metal container of some type say like an ammo box or metal tool box. Keep this on the floor in the basement away from any heat source of flamable objects. You can then take that case and use it in the car when traveling but do not let Li-Po's sit in a hot car. I will often set my box in the shade where available. Just remember to make sure you r charger is set up correctly and you'll be fine. And definitly go 3S with a BL motor. Like John says voltage up and gear down. My last comp last Saturday we watched several guys running 6 cell saddle packs and 2S li-po's that just didn't have the wheel speed to climb sections of the courses where those of us with 3S li-po's had no trouble with. Enjoy the Li-po's your gonna love them.

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:33 AM   #17

Default Awesome thread!

Thanks for all the informative answers from those in the know.

Now that the "danger of lipos" issue has been hashed out, I (average newbie to lipos) am far more likely to take the plunge. I've known of the benefits of these lightweight little gems for a while, but have been hesitant to buy because I don't really want to be responsible for burning my apartment down!

I'm really looking forward to 11.1 Volts!!!
HaamStacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

You won't be sorry. The difference when I went to 11.1 on my 55t was immense.
Mortimer Snerd is offline   Reply With Quote