Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Integy 55t getting too hot!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 08:12 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Integy 55t getting too hot!!

I have an Integy 55t that I've been running for a year now. Here's my setup - Moped ESC, WK tranny/axles, 6 cell NiMh, CC bec at 6.2 v, deans between motor and esc.

After 15 minutes of moderate crawling, my motor is pretty hot to touch. You can keep your fingers on the can but its pretty darn warm - sorry no temp gauge. I've checked my drivetrain and I have no binding - my pinion/spur mesh is pretty loose but not noisy/slipping. My rig is pretty light so there's no overload on the motor.

Anything I can check/do with the motor? Does a motor tend to get hot even when outside temps are hovering around 10 celsius? Is it toast ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
SeanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Uli
Quarry Creeper

Have you checked the brushes. If they´re worn down their resistance might go up and start "killing your motor softly". so put new ones in. also check the collector. now that you´ve probably been toasting it for a while it needs some attention as well.
Uli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:17 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Like Uli says clean the motor go to the LHS and get a com/brush cleaner and a can of motor cleaner. Inspect the brushes for excesive wear. Brushes are an easy change. Also get some bearing oil and put a drop or 2 in each bearing or bushing. You should do this probably every few runs. It will make your motors last alot longer. I have some that are over 20 years old and still run great. Later Goz
Gozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 04:20 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

what gearing are you running?

Could it be that 50 tooth pinion? naa j/k

Check motor for staples, swarf, bits o metal etc.

Matt
littleskull99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 06:51 AM   #5
Official Cook of the ECC

It's your brushes and comm. You've had it for a year, time for a check-up. Cut the comm and new brushes and you'll be set.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 07:11 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks all - I'll admit that the motor has not been given much TLC over the past year. I took the end off the other night and there was, what looked to be, carbon dust inside. Cleaned that out. All I had around for cleaner was something used to clean elecotronics - so I gave the brushes and the comm a shot with that.

Would a low voltage run in water help out in any way - I know its been used for break-in but would it help otherwise?

I don't have a lathe or access to one so is there a "ghetto" way to cutting the comm?

I have a 40t Crawlmax on order from JP Customs but I need the ol' 55t to last unitl the new one arrives!!
Old 06-20-2008, 07:47 AM   #7
Custom Carbon Fiber

water will help clean it a bit but dip it quick if you do. leave it to long and your just gonna tear the brushes up worse and comm as well.

if you dont have a lathe or access to one i would recommend atleast using a comm brush on the comm, clean the 3 slots out with a razor blade ( carefuuly ), and dump some new brushes ( low silver ) in there for now. that should get you back out untill your new motor comes in or you can get the comm cut.

can you mic your comm where the brushes sit? just curious how deep the groove is.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

"mic your comm" ????

Please explain.
Old 06-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #9
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanD View Post
"mic your comm" ????

Please explain.

mic = micrometer/verniers calipers

overall diameter of your comm. brushed motors comms minimum diameter is .063 and start at .090, knowing that you can usually tell if its turnable and how hard its been neglected over its time.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I am wondering if the timimg may be off on my motor. I took it all apart some time ago and never paid any attention to the position of the end bell when I put it back together. It seemed to work fine but I wonder if improper timing could be a reason for the heat buildup. Right now (after twiddling with the end bell position) the motor sounds and runs smooth with no arcing. I need to do some good testing for heat buildup.

So how can I tell if the timing is correct? I read that you can use the centre of the air slots as an indication mark for proper timimg. (I peeled the sticker off some ago so that marker is long gone)
Old 06-25-2008, 08:20 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Timing will effect the motor greatly!

A good can is marked as is the end bell...Integy motors aren't often marked...
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The new 40t Crawlmax arrived so I can now retire the old Integy. It was still overheating but at least it got me through!!

As for the Crawlmax, VERY NICE!! In comparison to the 55t, it has a lot more torque and tons of wheelspeed. Took it for a crawl in the hot midday sun and it never even got warm. (The Integy would've been burning your fingers)

With the new torque and wheelspeed my crawler was climbing over things it never did before. I was finding that the Integy didn't have the oomph to handle the extra traction that comes with the Panthers. The extra wheelspeed helped in a lot of cases, too.

edit - Forgot to add that today's testing was done on a half-charged pack. Can't wait to get it running on full charge

Hats off to JPCustoms for a great motor and great customer service (can't beat sub 3.00 shipping to Canada )

Last edited by SeanD; 07-10-2008 at 10:51 AM.