Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tell me if your radio is better than mine.....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2008, 11:07 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Tell me if your radio is better than mine.....

I am able to to the following with my radio:

CH1: Throttle
CH2: Steering
Ch3: Engage/Disengage dig servo
CH4: 4WS (or operate a fourth servo)

Live real time telemetry options I have enabled:

Monitor voltage of my lipo battery voltage (true lipo non regulated)
Monitor regulated voltage of lipo via BEC (not really necessary imo)
Monitor Temperature of Dig servo
Monitor Temperature of Steering servo/or electric motor temp
Monitor Transmitter battery voltage

I am using a nomadio sensor by the way. I feel like it does more than I need, what do you guys think? I am just using it on my 2.2 ax10. I am sure for a super I would need a dx6 or something but I would love to hear your 2cents!
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2008, 11:14 PM   #2
R.I.P. Chip

Have fun dealing with fried trancievers!
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:00 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

My radio is better than yours, because it is MY Nomadio.

The radio should do you well even with a super, can't imagine what you'd need more than 4ch for? Sure there may be some fun bells and whistles but even 2 speedos and 2 steering servos should do it all. And with the windows interface to program all the softkeys it's like have an onboard computer . The options are limitless.

I run the Sensor for crawling and 1/10 carpet cars and the React for 1/12 stock, super stock and mod. With 7 recievers and have had no issues with transcievers frying. I did have the coaxial antenna come loose and cause a range issue but try running 1/12 mod and not stressing something;)
Miller Tyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:33 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Have fun...I've seen them lock up at races, I've seen a wheel come off, I've seen countless receivers fail.

Plus last time I checked who cares about seeing all that info, are you driving or watching a screen on a radio. Hate to say it but I'd rather use a Traxxas TQ3 than any Nomadio product.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Have fun...I've seen them lock up at races, I've seen a wheel come off, I've seen countless receivers fail.

Plus last time I checked who cares about seeing all that info, are you driving or watching a screen on a radio. Hate to say it but I'd rather use a Traxxas TQ3 than any Nomadio product.
TQ3 good choice, but I will stick with old and trusty JR R1.
Headshok88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I'll stick with my DX3R. I don't think I'll ever buy anymore radio gear that isn't Spektrum.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCSCOTT View Post
I'll stick with my DX3R. I don't think I'll ever buy anymore radio gear that isn't Spektrum.
X2, DX3R for my cars/boat, DX7 for air/heli.

As far as mine being better, how many dx3r's have you ever heard of failing?
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

x3 on the DX3R... Iam SO glad I bought one... I use it in my drift car, my super with full lock to lock 4WS or linear rear steer, my 2.2 and my 1.9 TA-02 so far... I'm pretty sure it'll keep me VERY happy until I feel the need for dual brushless and dig in my super...;) Then it'll be like a DX6 or 7...
DaViolentOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:54 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Hmm I didnt know there were that many hater's. The Nomadio is a 2.4ghz system and I have run mine with my 1/8th scale truggy almost every weekend at local club races for about a year and a half now. I just decided to get into crawling and it seemed to work out pretty good for this too.

As for looking at your servo & motor temps & lipo and transmitter voltages, I DONT sit there and stare at them while driving LOL. The radio actually TALKS to me and tells me when I am at a max temp I set up in the software previously and warns me via vibration when a battery is low. Or you can set it up to do both or vice versa. I DO glance at my temps when I am racing my nitro car while going down a straight away and havent had to use a temp gun for tuning in the past year. More comments appreciated. SPECIALLY THE HATERS!!! (I'm sure your the guys who have never used one as usual)
Illeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:18 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
(I'm sure your the guys who have never used one as usual)
You know what the say when you ASS-U-ME something.

I tried it, and the DX3R. They are cool, but with everyone running out and buying spectrum radios I don't have to worry about what channel I am on anymore. The JR R1 does everything (and more) that I need it too.

If I do ever up-grade it would be the DX3R or whatever is new and exciting at the time, I've just never been a big fan of the Nomadio systems. To each his own I guess.
Headshok88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:30 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I ran the original Nomadio alien looking sex toy...was uncomfortable as heck.

I chose my DX3R long ago for the DSM2 which is faster than Nomadio...and the radio is way more ergonomic than the original Nomadio or their React (which isn't their case it is an old multiplex case).

Last time I checked in ROAR and RC Pro rules, telemetry of temps and voltages was considered illegal as well. Regardless I don't tune with a temp gun...I tune by ear/performance then sure i'll grab a quick temp to verify, but i don't go screw happy over a temp gun reading.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 11:36 AM   #12
06 Super National Champ

I have a Nomadio Sensor and a Nomadio React.

I also have Spektrum DX6, two DX6is, a DX7, and a DX3R.

Both Nomadios have had problems. The Sensor's steering wheel (and the shaft that the wheel is screwed to) broke while I was crawling. I ended up getting a billet piece from Hand Bros to fix it. If you go to the Nomadio forums you'll see a ton of people with the same issue. You'll also see people with tranceiver issues.

My React has an odd quirk...it likes to drain the battery even when the thing is switched off. I have to manually unplug the battery when storing it for a week or when I get ready to use it my 2700mAh pack will be dead.

That being said, I LOVE the configurability of the React and I've used the telemetry to monitor BEC voltages to see if it drops under load.

My Spektrum radios have been dead-nuts reliable. I broke the DX6 antenna and heat-shrinked it...been using it like that since. There's one switch that quit working at some point (dual rate) but that's not a big deal. A switch is easily replaced.

DaViolentOne,

Go with a DX6i.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 01:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illeagle View Post
Hmm I didnt know there were that many hater's. The Nomadio is a 2.4ghz system and I have run mine with my 1/8th scale truggy almost every weekend at local club races for about a year and a half now. I just decided to get into crawling and it seemed to work out pretty good for this too.
I bit suprised myself

I have used mine for over 1 year for 1/8th Nitro racing, the telemetry that allows me keep an eye on my engine temperature, is a race saver, much better than the Spektrum system, and now the voltage telemetry will keep an eye on the Lipo voltage for the crawler.

I did put a ally billet shaft, other than, it's been rock steady.

also, read this post on a great way to set it up

2 ESC's & 4 Channel .. no DIG needed ?

Last edited by NullMind; 06-30-2008 at 01:27 PM.
NullMind is offline   Reply With Quote