Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Ebay brushless set up.. Yay or nay?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Ebay brushless set up.. Yay or nay?

I saw this and wondered if its a decent set up. I am a noob to brushless and im sure Novak has some awesome stuff butt my pockets arent that deep.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Brushless-system...QQcmdZViewItem

thanks!
boostamante is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

I have never used the ESC, so I can't commend on the startup smoothness or forward/reverse delay. Ask the seller if he has ever crawled with it, and under what conditions.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
I have never used the ESC, so I can't commend on the startup smoothness or forward/reverse delay. Ask the seller if he has ever crawled with it, and under what conditions.

chances are that those guys dont even crawl or use R/Cs's

then again he could feed me some B.S story on how awesome it works.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

800 watts should be decent, but that is "power up to" which meant after 800 watts it lets out the magic smoke.

the big clue that it may not have enough power is the fact they only package it with a 25 amp ESC.

I run one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Model-833-KV-...QQcmdZViewItem

on one of my rigs, I found an auction for the motor only and got it for about $25 shipped. It has some serious cajones, which is what I was after. I drilled out a pinion to fit the motor shaft, and it bolted right up to an emaxx transmission.

The specs on the motor you are looking at list 800 watts as a max
teh motor I bought is only rated 180 watts higher, but the continuous current rating bumps from less than 25 to 55 amp

another way to look at it is the ESC, the motor you are looking at comes with a 25 amp continuous, and the other an 80 amp.

Granted, i am pushing around a 9.2lb rig. this may work fine in a lightweight rig.
I do have the tim allen more power thing going on too so take my advise with a grain of salt.
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:27 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hairba11 View Post
800 watts should be decent, but that is "power up to" which meant after 800 watts it lets out the magic smoke.

the big clue that it may not have enough power is the fact they only package it with a 25 amp ESC.

I run one of these
http://cgi.ebay.com/RC-Model-833-KV-...QQcmdZViewItem

on one of my rigs, I found an auction for the motor only and got it for about $25 shipped. It has some serious cajones, which is what I was after. I drilled out a pinion to fit the motor shaft, and it bolted right up to an emaxx transmission.

The specs on the motor you are looking at list 800 watts as a max
teh motor I bought is only rated 180 watts higher, but the continuous current rating bumps from less than 25 to 55 amp

another way to look at it is the ESC, the motor you are looking at comes with a 25 amp continuous, and the other an 80 amp.

Granted, i am pushing around a 9.2lb rig. this may work fine in a lightweight rig.
I do have the tim allen more power thing going on too so take my advise with a grain of salt.

so that motor ESC combo you linked me to is good? all i would need is to bore out the pinion right? would it work with a wheely king?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

seems like a decent combo but i prefer to stick wtih equipment i know is backed with good Customer Support.
Such as Novak
Krawler Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 11:00 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

personally to me that looks like a plane or heli esc..and i agree with krawler freak novak is awesome ;)
resetpunk is offline   Reply With Quote