Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC issue overheating

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default ESC issue overheating

Now I know what you guys are goign to say, but I am looking for a quick fix. I have the RTR axial with the RTR ESC on there. I know it is not the best one ofn the market, but I can't afford to shell out the $$ for the Mamba max or the Sidewinder yet. I needed more wheel speed without going Lipo, so I built my own battery pack. I am currently running a 8 cell 2/3a Integy pack and a 9 cell 2/3a integy pack. I found that after a few minbutes of running WOT, the cooling fins on the ESC get REALLY hot, adn the ESC shuts off. If Iwait about 2 minutes, I can turn it back on, and Iam fine for a bit. So here is my guess, and my question:

The heat is causing the ESC to shut down, so the heat is what is goign to kill tha thing. The heat is coming from the batteries sending too much juice to the ESC and causing it to overheat. Now what would ahppen if I took a computer fan and ran a comp fan over it? If I force the air down over the ESC into the cooling fins, will the ESC cool down enough where the overheating will not be an issue anymore?

Thanks
Dima
Flatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

2 things that will help.

#1. buy a cc bec. It will help!

#2. Go to radio shack and purchase the smallest 12V fan they have and mount it (however you choose) to the top of the fins (just like you said). You can hard wire it in so it turns on with the battery or mount it with a switch. Also instead of pushing air down on the fins, have the fan pull the air up through the fins. I bet with those two things you wont have anymore overheating problems
jevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:41 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

For one, I'm not so sure that the RTR's esc is rated to handle a 9cell or even an 8 cell battery pack...

On top of that, its a crappy ESC.
2JSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:17 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
For one, I'm not so sure that the RTR's esc is rated to handle a 9cell or even an 8 cell battery pack...

On top of that, its a crappy ESC.
I am guessing you did not read above. I know the ESC can't handle anything more than a 7 cell, BUT when itis nice and cold outside, it handles 9 cells all day long. Iam going to try a 3 cell 11.1v Lipo when I get a chance. I am not teh only one running this setup. I have heard of a few people running this on a stock ESC.

I kno the stock ESC blows chunks. I am running it because I can't rationalizxe the cost of a new high dollar ESC, and I am not competing.

Jevy, thanks for the comments. Iwill go home today and try that out.

Thanks again
Dima
Old 07-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Oh I read that, I was just restating it... it's not a good idea, even if you read about other people doing it.

And you don't have to spend $100 on a new ESC. You can buy a Duratrax or Tazer for like $30. Do some more research.
Old 07-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #6
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatty View Post
I am guessing you did not read above. I know the ESC can't handle anything more than a 7 cell, BUT when itis nice and cold outside, it handles 9 cells all day long. Iam going to try a 3 cell 11.1v Lipo when I get a chance. I am not teh only one running this setup. I have heard of a few people running this on a stock ESC.

I kno the stock ESC blows chunks. I am running it because I can't rationalizxe the cost of a new high dollar ESC, and I am not competing.

Jevy, thanks for the comments. Iwill go home today and try that out.

Thanks again
Dima

So you can't afford a new esc but are testing the limits of the stock one?

Good luck with that.
Scattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
So you can't afford a new esc but are testing the limits of the stock one?

Good luck with that.
Let me figure this out. You guys are saying DON'T test the one I have, rather just go out and buy a new one? Why not try what I have and see if it works. Can't afford is the wrong way to put that one. Let me rephrase that... I don't want to afford over $100 for an ESC.

The Tazert is the same in that it can only handle 7 cells I thought.

dIma
Old 07-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, your forcing yourself into buying another one. Hello, the manu rated it at 7 cells, or whatever, for a reason.
Thorsteenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 01:50 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

True, but it won't overheat as easily. And yes, pushing your shit to it's limits by hooking up to a larger battery is not a goot thing. For one its your only ESC at the moment... and then when you breaking, what are you gonna do? You'll have to buy a new one then, and you'll probably bitch about that. Take out the stock one before you blow it up and save it as a spare.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2JSC View Post
True, but it won't overheat as easily. And yes, pushing your shit to it's limits by hooking up to a larger battery is not a goot thing. For one its your only ESC at the moment... and then when you breaking, what are you gonna do? You'll have to buy a new one then, and you'll probably bitch about that. Take out the stock one before you blow it up and save it as a spare.
That is a good point. I do have a spare Tazer ESC that I took out because I put the stock one back in.

dIma
Old 07-11-2008, 02:01 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Why not spend $30 on a Moped ESC? I have ran one numerous times on 9 cells and with a CC BEC with no issues. By using the CC BEC,you eliminate alot of the heat from the ESC's internal BEC trying to reduce and convert the higher voltage. If you are not competing (or plan to) you do not need a Sidewinder or Mamba Max.
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcnalley View Post
Why not spend $30 on a Moped ESC? I have ran one numerous times on 9 cells and with a CC BEC with no issues. By using the CC BEC,you eliminate alot of the heat from the ESC's internal BEC trying to reduce and convert the higher voltage. If you are not competing (or plan to) you do not need a Sidewinder or Mamba Max.

Personally, I wouldn't spend 30 on a crappy esc to replace the crappy esc I already have. If I was gonna spend 30 I would at least use a Rebel or Rebel2 that will take higher voltages and has a decent bec rating.

Personally, I would limp around with what you have till I got 60-70 for a Sidewinder. Then you could run whatever voltage you want along with it's other great features.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Funny, I was just thinking this... I thik I am going to go this route.

Dima
Old 07-11-2008, 06:57 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scattman View Post
Personally, I wouldn't spend 30 on a crappy esc to replace the crappy esc I already have. If I was gonna spend 30 I would at least use a Rebel or Rebel2 that will take higher voltages and has a decent bec rating.

Personally, I would limp around with what you have till I got 60-70 for a Sidewinder. Then you could run whatever voltage you want along with it's other great features.
Last time I checked a Rebel 2 cost more than a Sidewinder
jcnalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 10:15 PM   #15
Official Cook of the ECC

Quote:
Last time I checked a Rebel 2 cost more than a Sidewinder
You can find em for 30-35 all day long these days. Got a couple right here.