Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: CC BEC FRIED......again!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default CC BEC FRIED......again!

I have a castle bec that has been repaired once. It stopped providing power entirely but still showed the l.e.d. that is supposed to denote proper function. This has happened a second time and I need to know if I am doing something wrong. I have the cc bec wired in parallel with my main battery (a 2s 1900mah lipo sometimes a 3s 800mah lipo). I have the other cable (the three wire one) plugged into the aux port (not the battery port...that will initiate the reciever to bind mode) on my spektrum ar6000 reciever. The cc bec will not connect via my castlelink to my pc. Also I have put a capacitor on my reciever to smooth out the the voltage and the bec worked perfectly (after the first repair) for over a month then it just failed. No smoke. No sparks. No more power.
tanmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I just ran into the same problem.

Was running it straight off the ESC battery plug, powering strictly the front servo (using a rooster crawler) and it was all fine. Changed to a Mamba 25, and wired the BEC to power the whole shabang. It worked great for about a day, then went to turn it on this morning and getting no power from the BEC.

Any ideas?

Thanks
brettjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 AM   #3
RCC Addict

did you pull the power wire from the ESC's plug? Something will fail eventually if they fight each other.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

most certainly did. it is wired just as Castle shows (in its second install), where it failed.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Huh. the only other thing I can think of that you could have done to fry it would be to hook it up backwards to the battery, but I think that would fry it immediately. Call castle on monday, their service is second to none.
chrisjlittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Alright, guess Im competing without it today! Thanks for the help, guess customer service it is.

And it was not hooked up backwards... unless they have some funky thing where red doesn't go with red and black not with black!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Do you leave your battery plugged up at all when the rig is not in use? Just turning off the switch on the ESC is not good enough, the battery needs to be unplugged. I've seen this fry a BEC before, but other than that I don't really know what would be causing the issue. I run 3 CCBEC's on 3 different rigs and they have worked absolutely perfectly for over a year now.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Nope, the battery is my on/off switch.

Any other ideas before I call castle on monday?

Thanks!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:48 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdodude13 View Post
Nope, the battery is my on/off switch.

Any other ideas before I call castle on monday?

Thanks!
Nope. Other than that and having the red wire from the esc pulled, I guess it's got to be a manufacturer issue, because if there were wires crossed or something shorting out somewhere I wouldn't think you would be able to drive it at all before it burnt up, seems like it would do it as soon as you plugged the battery in.

Do you drive in water any?
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:57 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

It wasn't able to leave the area known as my garage (kitchen)... I am at a loss, have no clue what could have gone wrong, all was working well last night and this morning nothing. And like the guy that started this thread, when plugged into the castle link the BEC will show the green LED like all is wonderful, but it wont connect (whether hooked up to a battery directly or not.). Also tried testing the voltage coming out of it (while disconnected from everything but a battery) and it shows no voltage at all, when hooked to a 3cell lipo.

Oh well, customer service here I come.

Thanks all.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:26 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Was this resolved? I am having the same problem. Mine quit working in the middle of a comp and few months back, then never gave me any trouble again until last week, in the middle of a comp. My rx loses power. I have a green light on the bec but no light on my spectrum rx. If I unplug my battery and plug it back in, the rx blinks once, then it's dead. Any Ideas? What did CS have to say? BTW. My bec is still at stock settings. I dont have a castle link yet. thanks.
klabeaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

in my trail truck i installed a high torque servo running a rooster esc and a cc bec my problem was a had the settings at a high speed servo as soon as i changed it i had no more heat on the bec and the twitching went away.
kasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 04:03 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I am not having any overheating issues. I just randomly lose power to my receiver, I know it's not any setting issues because it has been the same for almost a year. I just got off the phone with cc and for 6 bucks they'll replace it or fix it. Don't think it's a year old yet but I don't have the receipt. Oh well 6 bucks isn't bad. Thanks
Old 11-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I had this problem before, and what i found was my rear stear servo was drawing way tomuch current (faulty) and would cause the RX to shut down until cooled sufficiently. Try disconnecting 1 servo at a time when the rx stops, and see what happens.

Frank

PS-- my servo was a Bluebird Metal Geared BB 15 kg
ford mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:07 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Like I said, it's NOT an overheating issue. I don't have rear steer either. Just a mini servo for dig and jr8711 for steering. Castle told me it was a faulty bec. I dropped it in the mail. 6 bucks and it gets replaced. Thanks for the replies.