Thread: outrunner motors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default outrunner motors

hey i was looking at getting a outrunner for my crawler

i sow that some people use the kms 2814/08

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/108484.asp

i also sow that the motor has a 4mm shaft witch is to big for pinions.

i sow this motor kms 2212/12

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/108472.asp

it has a shaft size of 3.17 its the same kv as the other motor just smaller. i was wondering would that motor still work good in a axial crawler.

i was looking to run it on 2 cell lipos but i can go to 3 cells if needed.
superdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2008, 05:47 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

anyone??
Old 07-26-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I only use the John Robert Holmes outrunner motors. Superior quality, and his customer service and support are second to none. The Holmes Revolver Black is a REALLY nice outrunner, and should fit with just about any gearing choice that you can come up with.

Homepage
http://holmeshobbies.com/home.php

Revolver black (in stock)
http://holmeshobbies.com/product.php...&cat=19&page=1

Also note, the holmes outrunners ahve been designed to use a regular electric motor bolt pattern, so you will not need an outrunner adapter plate for most applications. John Robert Holmes can help you out with the details though, I'm no expert by any means.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 07:03 PM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Well thank you sir

The Revolver black or Crawlmaster would be a good choice in motors I carry, both are bolt in and work with standard pinions. The Crawler Store Carries the BM6 and BM9 outrunners, which would correspond to a 2212 and a 2219 I believe. They work well too.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

reason why i want these motors is cause i work at hobbypeople and get them for like 20-30$ and if something ever goes wrong well im covered.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Despite working at my LHS I too went with Holmes motors. Great service, great price (yea so I dont get my discount) but I knew it would for my application.
Knytemare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:21 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knytemare View Post
Despite working at my LHS I too went with Holmes motors. Great service, great price (yea so I dont get my discount) but I knew it would for my application.
i would have to second this john's stuff is top notch
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:42 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

ok all these replys are not really helping me at all. i did not ask about his motors. i asked about the kms motors. if holmes hobbies would give out all the info on the motors i would not have to ask these questions. cause i could just match them up.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:48 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
ok all these replys are not really helping me at all. i did not ask about his motors. i asked about the kms motors. if holmes hobbies would give out all the info on the motors i would not have to ask these questions. cause i could just match them up.
well since John already answered your question, i figured i would give you my opinion. we all have one kinda like something else. Anyways the 2212 would be a good choice on a 3cell li-po.
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

All the info is there on his site. They are outrunners designed specifically for crawlers.

Personally,I wouldn't run anything less than a 30mm outrunner. Anything smaller than a 30mm motor,you need to gear down to much and then volt back up a good deal. In a tiny scaler or super light 2.2 class rig,some like the smaller cans. A bigger motor will typically let you run a taller gear which will open up more options.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I've never used a KMS outrunner (never even heard of it), but I can tell you that I've tried alot of different ones, and you get what you pay for. I know alot of people have had luck with the Revolvers, but I will only run AXI, they are the best in my opinion.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:42 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

yah axi's are good but way out of my price range. the kms motor is a copy cat of the axi. and since my work deals with everthing kms if anything goes wrong wiht it im covered. so my 30$ motor can go a long way lol.

i think im going to go with the 2212/12 kms motor. im i going to need a adaptor plate to make it fit on the motor mount. (i dont have the crawler yet so i cant just put it on it and test it for my self)
Old 07-27-2008, 07:23 PM   #13

You will need an adapter plate, as most 2212 motors need. The 28xx would be a better choice, but you need to either drill pinions or get the shaft turned down.

Run 3s lipo or 10 cell nimh with the 2212 if you chose it.
Old 07-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

do you know where a place or what type of place could shave down the shaft to a the 3.17 size needed
Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
do you know where a place or what type of place could shave down the shaft to a the 3.17 size needed
Why don't you just drill out the pinion gear, it would be easier and much stronger...
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 PM   #16
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugg View Post
Why don't you just drill out the pinion gear, it would be easier and much stronger...
Not really sure if I agree with that or not. Drilling the pinion out removes material for the grub screw to thread onto. I've toasted many a pinions just because the grub screw stripped the threads out.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:50 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

plus if i drill out the pinion there might not be a lot of metal left on it. and it well get really weak.

i would rather just find some place were i could get shaft shaved down.

ALSO say i wanted to change my gearing i would have to drill out more pininos. and when i dont even have a drill press to do it ( i have to have one of my friends do it) it makes thinks a little difficult
Old 07-28-2008, 09:29 AM   #18

If you don't know of a machine shop to do it, you are pretty much SOL. Factor in the cost to hire them and you will at least have $50 in the motor.