Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Problem with Spektrum startup

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 11:33 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Problem with Spektrum startup

I just changed my radio gear in my AX10 for a Spektrum DX3 preparing it for the DNA dig. Everything went ok, binding, resetting the esc and setting the EPAs. But there is an annoying problem(or feature, I don't know): almost every time I power up my tx, then my rig, there is an about half a second full reverse/full turn left and then everything goes back to neutral. If I turn of the tx failsafe works ok. As if the rx was taking its time to "start up". I found this link by JohnRobHolmes where he talks about similar things happening but that was the only thread I found.

I tried unplugging the servo and esc and switching on the power and it does the same full reverse with servo unplugged. So I suppose there is a problem with the Rooster Crawler and the sr3000 rx.

Any ideas? The setup I use is the above mentioned DX3, Rooster Crawler, 55t lathe, Hitec 645 and 7 cell 2/3 saddle packs.
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

set your trims to 0, turn up your epa's to maximum
rebind the reciver
recalibrate the esc
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 05:53 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
set your trims to 0, turn up your epa's to maximum
rebind the reciver
recalibrate the esc
Didn't work... although on the first start after redoing everything it only jolted backwards. On the following starts the problem reoccurred.
Old 08-02-2008, 08:54 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Damn, call horizon hobby tec support on monday, they are distributors for both Novak and Spectrum
(877) 504-0233

good luck
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

does it do the same thing if you power the rig first and then the tx? I know generally you power them on the other way but its a crawler, its not going to get away from you.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 03:14 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt View Post
does it do the same thing if you power the rig first and then the tx? I know generally you power them on the other way but its a crawler, its not going to get away from you.
Yeah it does with the exception that it doesn't go to neutral...

I'm gonna experiment a bit more before contacting Horizon. I got this thing from fleabay so I think I'll contact the seller...
Old 08-03-2008, 07:51 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Well, after installing, binding and trying it in another car (tamiya ta03) with different electronics it does the same thing. After reinstalling it back into the Axial and carefully binding them and setting the esc and trying several times sometimes I only got a jolt backwards, no servo movement. Then it would happen again. I'm stumped.

Edit: Anyone have a picture how the rx antenna wire connects to the board? I rerouted mine out from the side and just wanted to make sure it is well connected. Its a coaxial wire, right?

Last edited by trainer; 08-03-2008 at 08:00 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

it is a saftey feature for it to go to the "safe" throttle and steering positions.you set these settings while binding

make sure every thing is set to zero and rebind.if it still does it then try holding full throttle while binding and see what it does.try holding reverse and binding and see what happens.

also make sure the buttons just above the trigger are all zero'd and try binding again.

if that doesnt work call horizon
jamesdicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer View Post

Edit: Anyone have a picture how the rx antenna wire connects to the board? I rerouted mine out from the side and just wanted to make sure it is well connected. Its a coaxial wire, right?

no it is single strand
Old 08-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken View Post
it is a saftey feature for it to go to the "safe" throttle and steering positions.you set these settings while binding

make sure every thing is set to zero and rebind.if it still does it then try holding full throttle while binding and see what it does.try holding reverse and binding and see what happens.

also make sure the buttons just above the trigger are all zero'd and try binding again.

if that doesnt work call horizon
Well I resetted the tx and binded with full throttle and full reverse and nothing changed, exept now the failsafes were full throttle/full reverse (obviously).

I noticed something, though. When I power up the car the green light on the rx blinks and goes out, then after a moment lights up. During this moment the car goes left tilt/reverse. So there seems to be a delay in the rx.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdicken
no it is single strand
thanks so thats ok
Old 08-04-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Which ESC are you running?
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

did you check the buttons by the trigger.those gave me all kinds of trouble when i first got mine.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:15 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Which ESC are you running?
Rooster Crawler. But it did the same thing with a Tamiya teubkwhatever.

I contacted the horizon tech support and they were as baffled as I am. Only thing they could propose is to try and bind my set with another tx and rx to see where is the fault. They were suspecting the rx also because when the green light goes out for a fraction of a sec it should go on failsafe. And the failsafe works, I've tried it on the move.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Well I got another rx and it works as its supposed to do! Seems that my fleabay spektrum wasn't as "used only little" as advertised... Lets see if the seller assumes any responsibility. I don't count on that. Luckily it was only the rx.

I will give Horizon another call and see if they want to help a secondhand user. Otherwise I will just use it on another model where there is no worry about frying the servos.

Just out of curiosity, I noticed the new rx had a gray antenna and the non working had a thicker black one. Also, a small foam padding was present in the new one between the boards and missing from the old one. Changed antenna perhaps (and fcuked the rx doing it)?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

i am glad you got that all sorted out(except for the ebay part).sounds like you need to send that rx to horizon and see what they say so you can use that info to file a claim on ebay!
Old 08-27-2008, 05:38 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I thought I'd post a small follow up: After my last post I called Horizon and explained the situation. They asked me to send in the rx. I explained that I was not the original owner and asked if they could email me the repair costs before fixing it, so I could decide what to do.

Well, the rx went out the next day, and today the mailman rang the doorbell with a package from Horizon (sent priority, $24!). Inside was a spanking NIB sr3000!!

Great service from Horizon Hobby, I know which brand to turn to when I get more radio gear.

The thing is, though: I never recieved a mail asking what to do. So I never found out what was the problem with the original...