Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: traxxas tq3 question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default traxxas tq3 question

i have read and cant find a good answer or good enough to explain it to me.

im wanting to build a new buggy w/ 4 wheel steering. having front and rear independent. when you mod the tq3 w/ the switch does it mean that when the switch is one way the front turns and when you flip the switch the other way the rear will turn? any help/explanation is greatly appreciated. heres a link to show an example of the controller.
http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/electronics.html
06yz250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #2
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yz250f View Post
i have read and cant find a good answer or good enough to explain it to me.

im wanting to build a new buggy w/ 4 wheel steering. having front and rear independent. when you mod the tq3 w/ the switch does it mean that when the switch is one way the front turns and when you flip the switch the other way the rear will turn? any help/explanation is greatly appreciated. heres a link to show an example of the controller.
http://www.thecrawlerstore.com/electronics.html
The way that works is the steering wheel will control the front tires and the switch controls the rear tires. The switch is a 3 position so it controls the tires left-center-right.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

o ok. i really dont like the idea of not having full control over the rear. could someone also explain what the pro's/cons of using a y connection to connect all 4 wheels would be? and do you flip the rear servo to make front/rear turn same direction? also i read alot of people say the tq3 is really glitchy. can someone recommend another 3 channel radio for a reasonable price? maybe $120 or below w/ reciever

Last edited by 06yz250f; 08-05-2008 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06yz250f View Post
o ok. i really dont like the idea of not having full control over the rear. could someone also explain what the pro's/cons of using a y connection to connect all 4 wheels would be? and do you flip the rear servo to make front/rear turn same direction?
To do that you will most likely need a reversing Y harness to get 4ws. Otherwise all you will get is crab walk steering. The downside is you wont have independent control over the rear or be able to keep the rear tires straight. They will always turn with the front tires.

Another option is the the Punk RC Steering computer. It will allow you to use the 3rd channel switch to select between 3 steering modes. Front steering only, 4 wheel steering, or crab steering. This wont give you independent control over the rear steer, but it does give quite a bit of control. The rear steer will be proportional to the front but unlike a Y harness, you can turn off the rear steer if you want.
In a faster vehicle I think it is a huge benefit, I plan to use one in my rock racer.

Steering Computer
http://www.clodmodracing.com/product...t=Dual%20Steer
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 06:42 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I moddoed a TQ3 but instead of using a 3 way switch I use a 10k pot, just like the one on the steering.... I have total control of my rear steer this way.... The hardest thing is to find center but once I got the hang of it it comes quite easily....
1rcmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:43 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

well i decided to dish out the extra money and bought a dx6i and then i can use it on future products. cant wait to get everything in to start putting together my first crawler!