Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Mamba Max VS. Rooster?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Mamba Max VS. Rooster?

I a running the rooster ESC on my 2.2 and I really love it and it works great. But eventually i would like to upgrade to 11.1 lipo and I cant do that with the rooster. Also I would eventually like to run a 7T cobalt puller but I am not sure if the rooster can handle that motor. I was just wandering if it would be worth upgrading to the mamba max or just run a 7.4V 2cell lipo? What is better about the mamba max other than I can run whatever battery I want? One thing I have noticed about the caslte creation ESCs that I dont like is that they dont have a hold brake. Just a drag break. On my buddies sidewinder when he is on a steep hill with the drag brake turned all the way up the thing will roll down the hill. I for sure dont want that.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-2008, 11:46 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

your ruster should be fine with the 7t puller. As long as it will run 19t motors and higher it will do just fine. Your right on the voltage though. I think you would be better to run 7 cell nimh than switching to 7.4v lipo. If you wanna switch to lipo I would deffenetly make the jump to 11.1v
bigflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:31 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigflex View Post
your ruster should be fine with the 7t puller. As long as it will run 19t motors and higher it will do just fine. Your right on the voltage though. I think you would be better to run 7 cell nimh than switching to 7.4v lipo. If you wanna switch to lipo I would deffenetly make the jump to 11.1v
So a 7 cell nimh would be about equal to a 7.4V lipo? If I do lipo I would really like to go to a 11.1V.
robert97dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

A 7 cell NiMh would be 8.4V.

If you are using 2/3A cells you wont see the full potential of the 7T puller, they really can't supply the amperage needed. They will work and you will be able to get short bursts of power, but full throttle running will not be as fast as it could be.
I have run my 10t and 7T pullers on 7.2V NiMh 2/3A cells with good results but that is with two 6 cells packs in parallel.

I think the Rooster Crawler on a good 7.2V LiPo with the 7T would be a pretty good setup for a crawler. The 7T is a fast motor and has enough torque that you can gear it up from what most crawlers run. My 1.9 truggy with the 7T has 84/20 gearing and stills crawls very nicely but can hit obstacles fast enough to get air under all the tires on 7.2V. I would run the servo off a Castle Creations BEC to make life a little easier on the ESC though.

If you are looking to take your crawler further into the basher realm then the 11.1V LiPo would suit you better. The Sidewinder has lots of programmability such as throttle curves and timing that are fun to play with if you like tinkering. The cobalt magnets in the 7T are much stronger than a standard 540 motor so when combined with the Sidewinder you should be able to get it to work like a hold brake. I don't know for sure because I've never tried it, I run mine at 30% drag brake.

If the Rooster Crawlers hold brake is the most important thing to you then stick with that. One thing you can try is running that setup on a 7.2V sub C pack to get an idea of the performance you will see from a good 7.4V LiPo. Then you can decide what voltage LiPo you want.

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 08-07-2008 at 10:01 AM.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 11:37 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert97dodge View Post
On my buddies sidewinder when he is on a steep hill with the drag brake turned all the way up the thing will roll down the hill. I for sure dont want that.
Something is up with that. The drag break should hold it. I have had an 5-8lb rigs hold just fine and not roll. He may want to use the castle link and double check the programming with a computer if he used the transmitter to do the initial setup. Just a thought.
PaloAltoK5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 12:31 PM   #6
Tire&Foam Extraordinaire

Disclaimer: I am not a Novak guy. I had bought two of the rooster crawlers when they were first released. Both of them had the glitch issues and I sold them. I also did not like the low voltage limit of 8.4V nimh/ nicd or 7.4V lipo. I switched to Castle Creation and I am pretty certain I would never run any other brand ever. Being able to volt up and gear down, endless programming options, the ability to run either brushed or brushless and excellent customer service has sold me on Castle.

If you think you want to run higher voltage than 8.4V nimh/nicd or 7.4V lipo, I would highly suggest either the Side Winder or Mamba Max and a CC BEC. I have some of both. I have experienced no major difference between the two, although I have noticed my Side Winders will get warmer to the touch than any of my Mamba Max's. But power & performance wise, in my rock crawlers, I have seen no noticeable difference between the two. You will need the Castle link to program the Side Winder though, where as the Mamba Max comes with it. The Side Winder is cheaper than the Mamba Max though.

You may also want to try the Tekin FXR. A number of members seem to really like it and the small size is a very nice benefit.
Nova's Ark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 06:11 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm at the same place you are robert97dodge. I have the rooster crawler, and just put in a 35T handwound motor. I wanted to go Lipo 11 volt, but found that the 35T motor works pretty well with just a 6 cell 2/3A pack. Now I am thinking I can go ahead with the lipo charger and just get 2s (2200mah) batteries.

No voltage increase but better amps. and longer runtimes. Then when I eventually buy the Tekin ESC... All I have to do is buy the 3s batteries for the big volts.

BTW... I have noticed that with the torquier 35 handwound... my Roosters brake is much stronger than with the 55T lathe. Maybe that applies to your buddies ESC too??? Dunno...
Harvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:55 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
A 7 cell NiMh would be 8.4V.

If you are using 2/3A cells you wont see the full potential of the 7T puller, they really can't supply the amperage needed. They will work and you will be able to get short bursts of power, but full throttle running will not be as fast as it could be.
I have run my 10t and 7T pullers on 7.2V NiMh 2/3A cells with good results but that is with two 6 cells packs in parallel.

I think the Rooster Crawler on a good 7.2V LiPo with the 7T would be a pretty good setup for a crawler. The 7T is a fast motor and has enough torque that you can gear it up from what most crawlers run. My 1.9 truggy with the 7T has 84/20 gearing and stills crawls very nicely but can hit obstacles fast enough to get air under all the tires on 7.2V. I would run the servo off a Castle Creations BEC to make life a little easier on the ESC though.

If you are looking to take your crawler further into the basher realm then the 11.1V LiPo would suit you better. The Sidewinder has lots of programmability such as throttle curves and timing that are fun to play with if you like tinkering. The cobalt magnets in the 7T are much stronger than a standard 540 motor so when combined with the Sidewinder you should be able to get it to work like a hold brake. I don't know for sure because I've never tried it, I run mine at 30% drag brake.

If the Rooster Crawlers hold brake is the most important thing to you then stick with that. One thing you can try is running that setup on a 7.2V sub C pack to get an idea of the performance you will see from a good 7.4V LiPo. Then you can decide what voltage LiPo you want.
Grizzly, I just bought a sidewinder brushless setup, do you know where I could find some info on how to set it up for crawling?
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 11:47 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
Grizzly, I just bought a sidewinder brushless setup, do you know where I could find some info on how to set it up for crawling?
IN this forum. Do a search for Sidewinder Setup, you'll probably get a 1000 hits.

One thing, the Castle motors, i.e. 4600, 5700, 7700 that come with the sidewinders are too fast for crawling, and don't heve enough torque. But the ESC is puuurfect!

Last edited by PaloAltoK5; 08-10-2008 at 11:47 AM. Reason: Spell Check
Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoK5 View Post
IN this forum. Do a search for Sidewinder Setup, you'll probably get a 1000 hits.

One thing, the Castle motors, i.e. 4600, 5700, 7700 that come with the sidewinders are too fast for crawling, and don't heve enough torque. But the ESC is puuurfect!
Everytime I ask a question in this forum, I get told to do a search

I did a search, no results, so I posted my question, thats how I roll

other members have already helped me with this so thanks anyway
701 Technique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 09:35 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

701, pick up a castle link. When you use the link to program the sidewinder, click on the little ?'s by all the options. They will tell you what each setting does. It also tells you which setting you should use for bashing, racing, and crawling!
mysharona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 11:03 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique View Post
Everytime I ask a question in this forum, I get told to do a search

I did a search, no results, so I posted my question, thats how I roll

other members have already helped me with this so thanks anyway
Well, you asked:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701 Technique
do you know where I could find some info on how to set it up for crawling?
I just answered the question asked. If it had been phrased differently, I would have answered differently.

Anyways, glad you found your answers.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:39 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Will the Castle Link work with a Mac?
GaBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 09:47 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBronco View Post
Will the Castle Link work with a Mac?
I've used a Castle Link on my Intel Macbook Pro but I had to be in Boot Camp mode running XP. At the time it did not work in Parallels but may now. They are adding compatibility all the time.
schmenzer is offline   Reply With Quote