Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New Radio Suggestions...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2008, 04:11 PM   #1

Default New Radio Suggestions...

Seeing as I have limited experience in RC Crawling, I need some advice. I just got a modified AX-10 and I need a new radio. The TQ3 just isn't going to cut it in competition. What I need is pretty simple...

3 channels
adjustable end points
etcetera

There's a few radios out there that I think will be sufficient, but I don't want to get something that's going present problems later on, and I don't want to over kill this.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I kind of expect to pay between $150 and $200 for something decent that will get the job done.

Fire away with your ideas...and thanks in advance for any help!
austinquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

I just got a used DX3 off ebay with 2 recievers for $150 shipped.They can be had cheaper if you are patient.I've been playing with the setups today and all I can say is its MUCH better than my old TQ3.If you go that route make sure its a DX3 and NOT the 3.0
72Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

i just bought a dx6i. alot more options and only $179 gives you 6 channels and you can do programming on it
06yz250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 05:51 PM   #4

Default what's the difference?

what's the difference in the dx3 and the dx3.0?
austinquattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 08:02 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinquattro View Post
what's the difference in the dx3 and the dx3.0?
The DX3 is modifiable to do a 3 position Dig....the DX3.0 cannot be modded to do a 3 position dig. I used to run the DX3.0....it was nice, but I wanted that 3rd position. I bought a DX6 for a song with 1 RX. ($150) It is easily modded to have a spring return on the throttle, and the voltage regulator swap over DOUBLES battery runtime on the TX. THe DX6 has been discontinuted, but can be found at many shops still and on eBay. THe DX6i is the replacement....GREAT radio, but harder to mod to get spring return on the throttle gimbal. VERY difficult to control without that spring return.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
the voltage regulator swap over DOUBLES battery runtime on the TX.
The regulator swap also works in the DX2/DX3 and DX2.0/DX3.0 but not the DX3R. I have done about 6 transmitters here locally for guys. In my experience this mod makes an even greater difference in runtime on the 2&3 channel radios.

Narly1
Narly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I know it's a lot of money but the DX3r is one sweet radio.
I bought mine thinking it was over kill but now that I have it I am gald I bought it.

Super light weight, small, and comfortable. It runs on 4 AA batteries and my first set gave me 36 hours of run time (based on the internal built in timer).

It works great with the RC4WD D2 dig system, just make sure you heed the above advice and set your end point adjustments before hooking up the servo. I burned up a new servo on mine trying to get it set up.
gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 07:18 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I'm with Gaget just bite the bullet and get the DXR3 if you can it's such a nice radio you won't regret it.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I've had a Nomadio Sensor since it came out. It is one of the best Radios I have ever had.
If you can find one they are well worth the money.
4ch completley programable via the radio or even better, you can hook it up by USB to the computer and use the software to make the radio do anything you want.
The transiever (yes transiever) transmits data as well as recieves. There are speed, temperature, and battery sensors for it as well.
I dont know if you can find any new ones but there must be some on flebay.
Shaggy5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:01 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Hands down the Dx3R...best radio for every thing with wheels. Though I guess the 4PK might be better, but at over $150 more.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget View Post
I know it's a lot of money but the DX3r is one sweet radio.
I bought mine thinking it was over kill but now that I have it I am gald I bought it.

Super light weight, small, and comfortable. It runs on 4 AA batteries and my first set gave me 36 hours of run time (based on the internal built in timer).

It works great with the RC4WD D2 dig system, just make sure you heed the above advice and set your end point adjustments before hooking up the servo. I burned up a new servo on mine trying to get it set up.
Hey all, I know this thread is old. But, Gadget's post caught my attention. I am running an RC4WD 2-speed tranny, I just bought the DX3R. And yes, I have burnt up a servo trying to get the tranny to work. My question is, how do I know where to adjust the EPA's without the servo hooked up? Is there a safe setting? I apologize for being a novice on this.
SMFtwstdHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMFtwstdHICK View Post
Hey all, I know this thread is old. But, Gadget's post caught my attention. I am running an RC4WD 2-speed tranny, I just bought the DX3R. And yes, I have burnt up a servo trying to get the tranny to work. My question is, how do I know where to adjust the EPA's without the servo hooked up? Is there a safe setting? I apologize for being a novice on this.
It's simple - just set your end points to somewhere around 20% and work your way out to whatever you need - try moving it 5-10 each time until you get it where you want it.
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Thanks Yawzer,

I got kinda spooked when I fried the servo.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM   #14
RCC Addict

DX3R all the way
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yawzer View Post
It's simple - just set your end points to somewhere around 20% and work your way out to whatever you need - try moving it 5-10 each time until you get it where you want it.

Thanks Yawzer! I was wondering the same thing, and could not find anything on it.
Grump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Hands down the Dx3R...best radio for every thing with wheels. Though I guess the 4PK might be better, but at over $150 more.
Worth it!!!!! 3R is good if all you want is the 3pos capablity.
One-eyed Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

i ordered a dx3r should be here next week.
Mr.Slave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:58 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

DX3r is supposed to be the bomb.. I just got a TQ3 off of ebay for $25 with reciever, and I've only run about 1/4 of a battery through it, as the battery in the crawler was almost dead, but so far I am very happy with it.
Scott
po' riggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 08:43 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Well,

A little update.

Come to find out IF you actually put the friggin plug in correctly on your RX AUX channel. You can ACTUALLY get the second servo to work!! Who would of thought that?

Well, 2am in the morning on a Sunday, NOT ME. LOL

Damn, I swear, sometimes...

Anyhow.

I got the AUX channel working. Now I just have to fine tune it in. Come to find out I didn't fry my servo either. Now, I am back to two TP MG995 digitals.

And this radio is the shit. I friggin love this beast.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

If you go on ebay and type in "dx5" they have those on there for $60, They have 5 channels and has the sticks.
Tyler Kadlec is offline   Reply With Quote