Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: cobalt puller vs brushless?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #1

Default cobalt puller vs brushless?

i need your opinions on motor/controller choices. at the moment i have an axial with................
edge chrome chassis
goat brushless system W 20 tooth pinion gear
spektrum dx3 radio/reciever
ok hitec steering servo
integy shocks
(went with the black and chrome theme)

anyways, my son's crawler has

black edge chassis
55 turn off the shelf cheapo with 20 tooth pinion gear
fatubar152j reciever
tazer 15t speed controler
fatuba t2ph radio

now over on marlin crawler(1:1 board) there was a discussion on different motor setups. so the question is..................

my son will get the same radio reciever as me, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#1 goat, mamba max, somthing else,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

#2(and more important) cobalt puller motor, brushless, somthing else,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

kinda looking forward to comparing mine with the goat(wich i love) and his with a cobalt puller(or somthing i have not heard of yet) and good speed controller.

please discuss, flame, whatever. i have only the word of mouth knowledge on the motors i have not tried yet but would love to know the actual factual on all.
yotee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Go with the Sidewinder esc and get the Castle Link so you can program it, and then get a 7t Cobalt. You wont be disappointed.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I have a Novak Goat 7.4 v and have driven a 7T MM 11.1v puller they are really simular nice low speed tourque and smooth throttle control and great wheel speed. Both are very nice to drive IMO.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #4
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The Puller will have more drag brake than the Novak motor. The novak system just locks up full brakes at neutral to compensate though.

Another option is a nice handwound motor, you will get a lot more power as compared to the 55t your son is currently running.

For brushless, your only other option right now is an outrunner and sidewinder esc. It won't be as smooth as a brushed setup, but it could be lighter and have more power. You won't have to worry about brushes too, of course. I run outrunners in my scale rigs and play rigs.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
Nope..

I love my MM/7T
Brainstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:52 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I love my sidewinder 10T
tuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:15 PM   #7
TEAM MODERATOR

Hands down.....Puller. IMHO,they are the best thing out for a crawler. I run a 10t cobalt in my super on a 3 cell. Flat out awesome. The drag brake,while running a puller will work allot better than a standard mag motor.

John does have a point though,the hand wounds are really nice motors. I'm currently running a 35t hand wound in my 2.2 on a 3 cell. Good wheel speed and torque with a great bottom end for slow speed control.

Outrunners.....bah. Seriously though....you can get some nice power out of an outrunner and good performance. Once you get the gearing and voltage set right,they can work pretty good. I'd never run an outrunner in something where the points mattered though. It's hard to beat the smooth bottom end of a good brushed motor.

ESC's,I run a Sidewinder or a Mamba Max in everything we got. Love the Castle stuff. It's hard to beat the options the Castle stuff has.

Allot of guys like the Tekin ESC's,never tried one but I've read lots of praise about them.

Last edited by Reflection; 08-15-2008 at 10:25 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 11:23 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Mamba Max and/or Sidewinder & Brushed Motor from JRH = you won't be disappointed
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 02:58 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

tekin fxr speed control and a good brushed motor is gonna be real hard to beat i am running the fxr with an astroflight 10t, an fxr and a tekin 55t, and a fxr and a novak 45t and they all feel smoother and have more torque than my novak goat in fact i traded the goat setup for the fxr and tekin 55t combo pack.....oh yea i am running thunder power 3s lipo with all the setups so great wheel speed when needed........P III
ol dirty dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:04 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Super is a 10T puller and mamba max, 2.2 is 7T puller and sidewinder. Both run on 3S lipo packs.

Having had outrunners, a 35T hand wound, and now pullers, I have to say the pullers are the best for my style of driving. Tons of low end and plenty of wheelspeed.

If you go with a puller, just learn trigger control and you won't break... too often.
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 12:48 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler View Post
Super is a 10T puller and mamba max, 2.2 is 7T puller and sidewinder. Both run on 3S lipo packs.

Having had outrunners, a 35T hand wound, and now pullers, I have to say the pullers are the best for my style of driving. Tons of low end and plenty of wheelspeed.

If you go with a puller, just learn trigger control and you won't break... too often.
I think that it is a great motor, but the 45-55 turn will do just fine.
I have a 7t, it's sweet.
SDBigBubba is offline   Reply With Quote