Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Big Probelm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 04:42 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Unhappy Big Probelm

I have a big problem, comp this Saturday and no rig?
I started getting alot of glitching...I thought it was because of the new shocks (metal to metal) and new wheels (metal to metal)
I tryed to solder caps on my motor to help with glitching (one 10 capacitor soldered tab to tab on top and two 10's twisted together and soldered tab to tab) I tryed that turned the radio on then the truck on....It took off WOT across the desk nocking eveything off the desk in its path, then it went into reverse WOT, I finally stopped it.
I then took the pigtail (two 10 caps) and soldered them to the can.
I tryed it again same thing again WOT??? could I have messed up the motor or ESC???

motor: 55s turn Team Integy V10 crawler
ESC: Novak Rooster 12T
Receiver: Airtronics MX3 w/rear stear switch
Batt: 7cell 1500 mah saddle pack

Can I hook up an old E-Maxx motor to it and try to see if its the motor just to illiminate it's not the motor?
btw I tryed to do the one-step push button on the ESC, as soon as I let go of the button (when it turns red) pull the trigger wot and no green light?
All the wires are hooked up wright and antenna looks good?
plus to make it worse, I cut all the caps off just to see about using it at the comp for now....same thing WOT

I now have plastic to separate all the metal to metal parts....little late for that now, should have done that first

I will not be able to check back on this until 7pm when I get off work.
I hope I added enough info, kinda early

Last edited by prusik333; 08-14-2008 at 04:46 AM.
prusik333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2008, 11:08 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Sounds like ESC problem.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 12:05 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Changing shocks and rims shouldnt have caused any inteferance
Putting the extra caps on was a good move

Heres a checklist
if your radio has crystals check them and or try another set
Check your receiver wire, is it broken? have any exposed wire that may short out on the chassis etc,
Check the plugs from the esc to reciever, sometimes they get damaged when removing them from the receiver
has the radio got model memory? if so you may have selected the wrong model
your throttle neutral point may have moved on your radio
try re setting the speedie , remove the pinion so it doesnt take off again
are your transmitter batteries charged?
I know there basic suggestions but its often the simple things that go wrong

good luck
bunyip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks Ced RC and bunyip
My boss let me check the forum real quick
I forgot about checking the model memory
and Rhett reminded me to unplug the motor, I forgot you can still check it without the motor being plugged in to the ESC Trying to do all this, while working, with little sleep, and comp Sat. Thanks guys
Old 08-15-2008, 04:26 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Talking it crawls again

Well I got home checked the antenna wire ok, batt. voltage good, model memory good, and then took all the wires off and replugged it all back in.
Works great now Not sure what the problem was....hopefully it dosen't rear its ugly head again
Thanks for the checklist bunyip, I'll have to copy that and tape it to my desk for a good check

Last edited by prusik333; 08-15-2008 at 04:29 AM.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:25 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Out of curiosity, was it long ago that you installed the VF DIG? Did you switch the wires on the motor? I have almost the exact same setup (rooster crawler, integy 55t lathe, dx3/with toggle switch) and got the glitches too.

My glitching started after I installed the dig and they came from the motor. I tried with a silver can 540 and no glitching. With the integy plugged in it was enough to bring the running motor close to the rx and the servo wires and it started glitching, move it away and it stopped.

I changed the caps on the motor and it helped but there is still some glitching, mainly on WOT. Could the change in turning direction mess up the motor or the caps?
trainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Glad you got it worked out..from the sounds of it you may have had the esc's plugged in backwards into the receiver hence no signal to set the esc

Trainer
switching direction of the motor shouldnt cause the glitching, the only case that you may have hurt the capicators is if you used polarised caps and as soon as you send the reverse current through those they pop and release the brown smoke, they are bigger and used on some of the racing / forward only esc's

just a thought on your setup have you installed a BEC ?, these will keep a preset voltage to the servos, The power for the servos bypasses the esc and goes through the external BEC if you use 2 servos and go up in volts / cell count It helps and is becoming standard equipment on crawlers

I only ask cause you said it started after you installed the dig

Holmes hobbies a vendor here has the castle BEC's there around 22 bucks
Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainer View Post
Out of curiosity, was it long ago that you installed the VF DIG? Did you switch the wires on the motor? I have almost the exact same setup (rooster crawler, integy 55t lathe, dx3/with toggle switch) and got the glitches too.

My glitching started after I installed the dig and they came from the motor. I tried with a silver can 540 and no glitching. With the integy plugged in it was enough to bring the running motor close to the rx and the servo wires and it started glitching, move it away and it stopped.

I changed the caps on the motor and it helped but there is still some glitching, mainly on WOT. Could the change in turning direction mess up the motor or the caps?

I have had the VF dig in since 4-9-08, I just recently aquired the glithching, about three weeks ago.
Yes, I did switch the wires on the motor.
After my comp this weekend, I'll look into my glitching further

bunyip
yes, I too, think it was the wire in backwards, it's the only thing that makes since. I think I was tired, groogy and a little panicked about the problem too close to the comp

Last edited by prusik333; 08-15-2008 at 09:06 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 01:11 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

prusik333
Good luck for your comp this weekend, glad I could help