Old 08-16-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Airtronics rds8000

http://www.airtronics.net/airtronics_RDS8000.asp

anyone have time with one??
DeaDShorT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2008, 09:49 PM   #2

I just received my radio last week, have not had a chance to use it yet. I do have it set up...but I am waiting to get my esc. I had it modded by Airtronics before they shipped it to me. I just told the LHS guy, to tell them I wanted both sticks to spring return on both axis. If they didn't understand tell them it was for a Crawler. He orders his radios from Hobby People. When I received my radio, it was set up for crawling. (They didn't charge me anything to make the changes.) It also came with 2 Rx's.

I really like the radio. I have it set up: forward, reverse, front left, and front right on the left stick. rear steer on the right stick. If I have the aux switch on: It mixes the front and rear steer off the left hand stick. I have the 3 position switch set up for the VF dig unit and it works perfect. I have not figured out how to do crab steer and 4WS. I can use one or the other, but not both. I chose to use the 4WS. Crab steer is just for showing off anyway. If I want it to crab steer I'll turn the aux switch off and steer the rear with the right stick.

I am a huge fan of Airtronics. I use to race nitro 1/8 scale and had an M8 and an M11. They both offered excellent control for racing, but the 3 and 4 channel are unusable for a crawler. Hope this helps.
CAWLN'2THETOP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 07:16 PM   #3

Ive played with it at work. Its a nice radio. Plus if you buy one now you get a second reciever FREE!!!!!
I wish hobby people paid me to say that...
Fuhrervarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:33 PM   #4

I was interested in this stick radio too. I'm a big fan of Airtronics and use a M11, so I would prefer this over the Spektrum. Hobby People looks good, but I get charged CA tax. :(
victionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

For those that own this radio, does it come with a self-centering left stick spring/ratchet?
amstel78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
For those that own this radio, does it come with a self-centering left stick spring/ratchet?
It doesn't but can be orderded that way.
victionone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 08:57 PM   #7

https://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/751712.asp
clay7160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 02:44 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I have been using a normal RD8000 for two years now and no probs. About your 4ws question, I have similar experience since I used the tx on a nitro madforce at some point with two servos for front and rear independent steering. You can set two different channels for each servo and then use the tow aux mixes for crab or 4ws full time. I had one switch for crab and one for continuous 4ws with use of a single stick. Hope that helped.
MadForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:59 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Right now is's the best bang for the buck. I have been running a RD 6000 in my helis for years. The only difference is that it is 2.4 and has two extra channels. I'm saving up for one to use on my Huey so I can have switchable running lights. I WILL use it on my crawler. I just don't run the one I have now is that it is an air setup. They have gone through extensive testing. Look them up on rcuniverse.com. They have none of the blackout issues Spektrum had no one has had any lost signals that I have heard of. They can mix just about anything. You just got to read your manual over and over. There is a lot you can do with it.
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:21 PM   #10

Default Rds 8000

I just received this radio for my new Berg 2.2 project and the manual only has info for sailplane, airplane and heli. Anybody know of a link/PDF for this setup info? Or any help would be cool as this is my first Crawler.
Tankdogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 09:59 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Not sure if you will find much info for a crawler yet unless people here speak up. They are an updated aircraft radio. The origional RD 8000 was set on aircraft freq's and the RDS 8000 is the the same programing that transmits in the newer spectrum style. You can use it basicly the same as the old two sticks before the pistol grips came out. Read the manual completely even though it refers to mostly stuff you will not need just to become familuar with it. Mostly what you will use is just to program the endpoints so you don't over drive your servos.

If you want to start running dig, four wheel steering and stuff like you can start using the mixing options once you are familuar with the radio. All I have ever had was Airtronics, but I have heard the RD series is one of the easiest to program. If you look on some aircraft sites the RDS 8000 is become one of the most popular newer radios. I've seen some 20 year long Futaba people switch over to it in the last year.

PM me if you have any questions. I don't have one yet but I do have a RD 6000 that I fly my helis with for about six years now. It's the same thing just without the two extra cannels.
Once you figure it out you will love it.

Last edited by tk5028; 01-05-2009 at 10:01 PM.
tk5028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 05:13 PM   #12

Default rds8000

i just got my rds8000 for a crawler but i notice that the right stick does not move up or down all the way like the left sitck does did anybody else notice that.
speedracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:22 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Any setup tips for the rds8000?
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote