Brushed(55T Axiom) 26 78.79%
Brushless850KV Crawl Master) 7 21.21%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Brushed .vs Brushless

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Brushed .vs Brushless

The main question is Brushed or Brushless, I'm looking at a 850KV Crawl Master for my 2.2 comp rig. I'm trying to decide between that and keeping my 55T Axiom.

Thanks in advance!
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I have never tried the Crawlmaster but I have run out runners in my rig. They are great for power and run time. I like a brushed motor like JRH's pullers or a 35t better. They just deliver a smooth controllable low end that drives better but still deliver great wheel speed.

I'm running the Novak Goat system in my comp rig which is a in runner and IMO the best of both worlds. My scaler has a 35t Warrior which drives super nice at low speeds and has plenty of wheel speed.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Comp rig, I use brushed motors. Some guys really run well with outrunners, but at slowest speeds a brushed motor is still king.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Brushed - just cuz' I'm old-school like that.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 PM   #5
tjb
Rock Crawler

I ran aCrawlmaster 1000Kv first season and did OK with it. Great motor and awesome power. But switched back to brushed for smooother slow speed....
tjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the info guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Comp rig, I use brushed motors. Some guys really run well with outrunners, but at slowest speeds a brushed motor is still king.
I'm also looking at your 7T Puller, but I'm curious, wouldn't I have to use the Reverse cut out if I were to use it with my Side Winder?
Old 08-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

iv never ran the puller motors, but i know they are plettenberg base motors and i have driven plettenberg motors and love them. but finding brushes for them was hard.(for the model i had) but i use brushed in both my scale and comp rig.
smm_cbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I have run a crawlmaster and had two Novak goat systems in my rigs. I used to say that I would run nothing but brushless. Until I got to run some Holmes Hobbies brushed motors, and now I have sold both Novak Goat systems, I have two Holmes Hobbies 7 turn puller motors, and two Holmes Hobbies 35 turn handwound 540 motors in my rigs, being powered by a Mamba Max ESC's. If you're going to change your ESC, and you can find a Quark Pro Car 33, the crawlmaster will run fairly well. However they have a lot more cogging issues with the sidewinder than with the Quark. I HIGHLY reccomend the sidewinder and puller motor or handwound 540 motors. There is nothing that I've run that is as smooth and has the best low end throttle response like the holmes hobbies brushed motors.

On your sidewinder, you don't use the "high power brushed" motor option that cuts reverse, if that's what you're asking. You just use the regular brushed option and choose your reverse setting, mine is at 70%.

Last edited by CharliesTheMan; 08-16-2008 at 09:47 PM.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I'm also looking at your 7T Puller, but I'm curious, wouldn't I have to use the Reverse cut out if I were to use it with my Side Winder?

Why? Set it up just like any lathe motor and it'll be fine. Just remember to volt it up a bit. A puller on a 3 cell is perfect.

This is a pretty hot topic by the way.....http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/searc...archid=2022465

Last edited by Reflection; 08-16-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:41 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57 View Post
Why?
Nevermind, sorry for the dumb question. Kamikaze explained it

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A puller on a 3 cell is perfect.
This is the motto I live by, raptorman. Couldn't be said better
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Why? Set it up just like any lathe motor and it'll be fine. Just remember to volt it up a bit. A puller on a 3 cell is perfect.

This is a pretty hot topic by the way.....http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/searc...archid=2022465
Now how did you do that. I searched exactly "brushed or brushless" and barely came up with anything. I'm sorry, I'm really going to try and start searching more before I post.
Old 08-16-2008, 10:04 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Now how did you do that.

You wanna know what else I can do easily?

Just kidding. Seems like threads on this topic pop up weekly. I've moved several of them so I knew they were there.

Outrunners can work well in a crawler. It takes allot more time fine tuning the gear ratio's,ESC settings and voltage to find the sweet spot. I ran an 850 kv crawlmaster for a good while in my 2.2 with great results. In an Axial based rig with stock gearing on a 3 cell,they do work very nice. A bit slow for my taste personally,but it's a nice set up,no doubt.

Like John stated,a brushed motor will always be king. It's hard to beat the smooth bottom end of a brushed motor. The pullers are IMHO,thee best motor out for a crawler. You get BUTTER smooth throttle on the bottom,AWESOME power and AWESOME wheelspeed. After a puller,I'd recommend a good 35t handwound. Very nice motors as well.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
You wanna know what else I can do easily?
Trust me, I know!

Thanks for all the help.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:58 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I'm not a fan of outrunners just because you can't mount anything adjacent to them (as they spin).

I'm using brushed right now, but brushless works just as well I would say. Novak goat system is a really nice setup.
Dynamic^Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote