Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller 7T

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2008, 08:31 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller 7T

Will the Cobalt Puller 7 Turn Bolt Directly into a stock rtr scorpian or do i need to get a different motor plate???

Also i was wondering if My Rooster Crawler esc would hold up to its power??? It Says 12 turns so i think i am gonna have to upgrade this as well... Was thinking Mamba Max or Maybe a sidewinder???

Any suggestions would be helpful...
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Goobercrawler on orc is running that motor in his ax10 which was an rtr. he is running a mamba max. Oh and i was told that the 7t only pulls as much power as a 27t.
crawler_newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 08:44 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D View Post
Will the Cobalt Puller 7 Turn Bolt Directly into a stock rtr scorpian or do i need to get a different motor plate???

Also i was wondering if My Rooster Crawler esc would hold up to its power??? It Says 12 turns so i think i am gonna have to upgrade this as well... Was thinking Mamba Max or Maybe a sidewinder???

Any suggestions would be helpful...
It should handle it. A normal 540 motor has a 3 pole armature, the Puller has a 7 pole armature, which doesn't pull as much power as a 3 pole arm, I'm pretty sure that your Rooster will handle it fine. You might want to wait for JRH to chime in, though. He is the electronic master

From what I have seen and heard, the 7T puller is an awesome motor, and delivers tons of power. I do not currently own one, but will soon.

This is a Video of Kamikaze's rig with a 7T puller with a 3S LIPO.
http://media.putfile.com/7tpuller

Last edited by Shaun; 08-17-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

yeh I hope he chimes in because I'd like to get a puller 7t also. I've got a novak rooster crawler esc. Mine says on the paperwork that the crawler edition of the rooster esc can only run as low as a 27t motor. But if I get the ok on the puller 7t, I'm going for it.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:29 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Its good. Hey, this is my 4000th post!!!!!
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 08:32 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I ran my 7T puller on my rooster with a 2s lipo. I switched to a FXR, because the roosters 100% drag brake was too strong. Running from full throttle to a stop it would just flip over forward. You can run it if you control your finger and buy extra drive shafts.
toytech93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Looks Like i am gonna be getting the puller... and a new lipo...

So i guess its a direct bolt in for an axial rtr???

Last edited by Big D; 08-18-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Looks Like i am gonna be getting the puller... and a new lipo...

So i guess its a direct bolt in for an axial rtr???
Correct! its a little long but it fits fine.
crawler_newb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

It fits just perfect in the axial chassis. And it will bolt right in. Make sure you get a battery that will provide the current it needs, and you should be fine. There is nothing out there like the Holmes Hobbies motors, and the cobalt is definitely number 1 crawler motor (until JRH comes out with something new). I used to be a nothing but brushless and LiPo guy, and I had two Novak goats. After running a mamba/cobalt setup, I realized that my goats were just old scrap metal, sold them both, and I now have a 10 turn cobalt, two 7 turn cobalts, and two 35 turn HH handwound 540 motors. The Mamba Max ESC makes a perfect combination with the cobalt motor, but the sidewinder will work good as well and is more affordable.
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 11:03 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliesTheMan View Post
It fits just perfect in the axial chassis. And it will bolt right in. Make sure you get a battery that will provide the current it needs, and you should be fine. There is nothing out there like the Holmes Hobbies motors, and the cobalt is definitely number 1 crawler motor (until JRH comes out with something new). I used to be a nothing but brushless and LiPo guy, and I had two Novak goats. After running a mamba/cobalt setup, I realized that my goats were just old scrap metal, sold them both, and I now have a 10 turn cobalt, two 7 turn cobalts, and two 35 turn HH handwound 540 motors. The Mamba Max ESC makes a perfect combination with the cobalt motor, but the sidewinder will work good as well and is more affordable.
Do u have any reccomendations on battery the cobalt needs???
Definetaly a LiPo... 2s or 3s??? Brands
Old 08-19-2008, 03:26 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
i use flight power, its a 3cell with a 20c continuous draw and a 30c burst, and with the cobalt it gets hot. i would get something a little stronger if you can find it. also find a large capacity one mine is a 2100mAh and i get like 30 min. or so runtime.
crawler4lif3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I'm using a Maxamps.com 2000mah 3S LiPo pack. It provides the power needed, has a small footprint, and is a nice compromise between runtime and size. I've gotten about 40 minutes of runtime out of those packs with the Holmes Hobbies 10 turn cobalt puller motors. The runtime really depends on gearing, how heavy your trigger finger is, what kind of terrain you're crawling on, etc... The terrain that I've been crawling on is very difficult with lots of gaps and small to medium sized rocks, so I don't run it wide open very much.

John Robert Holmes has some batteries that he's carrying now, and he could help you with any technical questions that you have. I'm in no way an electronics expert, just passing on the information that I've gathered through testing and trial and error.

If you order the maxamps.com battery pack that I linked to, and ask them to run the wires from the top of the pack instead of the side of the pack, I think it will fit on the Axial low COG battery/servo tray. I had the 2000 mah packs built when I had my Goats, and I didn't ask them to run the wires out of the top. The packs are advertised at 69 mm and that's about what they are with shrink wrap. But the wires bunched up under the shrink wrap caused it to be around 5mm longer, which didn't allow for full steering lock to lock, so I mounted the electronics on the battery plate on the axial, and the battery on a tray on the upper links.

This is only a reccomendation of what I'm running and I'm not veteran like some of these guys, so I reccomend getting a second opinion.
http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-2000-111-Pack.htm
CharliesTheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 AM   #13
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

For two cell lipo use I recommend a pack with 30 amps continuous, and for 3 cell lipo 40 amps.

It bolts right into an ax10, no hassle.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

JRH- when is the next batch of 7T's estimated to be in stock?
XPLORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

A week or so.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

i'm willing to bet but I'm not 100% sure the puller motor will not fit on a ax10 with the stage 2 kit. the upper links are longer and moved in on the chassis. I've got a integy 45t motor and there's only about and 1/8" or less between the motor leads and the upper link ball end. I could be wrong but if I'm hearing correctly and if the 7t puller is any longer it will not fit on my crawler because of that. but I can't speak for the people that have and all stock ax10, I would imagine they would have plenty of room.
Jkelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 04:35 AM   #17

Default Re: Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller 7T

I just got my hands on a used 7t cobalt puller. I am trying to adjust the timing on it, but when i run it on 3v no load in one direction, the lowest amp draw is 1amp higher than the lowest amp draw when i swap +-. This does not make sense to me. Is it designed to only run in one direction?
wecma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 09:14 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Holmes Hobbies Cobalt Puller 7T

How it's timed now, might be making the difference?

Can you take a pic of the "endbell" from top and behind?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote