Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: what do you know about balancing??? Question about cell voltage and balancer.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default what do you know about balancing??? Question about cell voltage and balancer.

I just got a new Polyquest balancer, a cheapo model, and I am not confident that it is performing it's designated function.

I just bought my 2nd Elite 4800 2S battery, and while the first one was balanced perfectly without even using a balancer, at 3.98v per cell, the second battery, it is very imbalanced at 4.3v for one cell, and 3.98v for the other. I have had the balancer hooked up to it for hours, by itself, per instructions, and it doesn't appear to be changing the voltage difference at all.

My question is this; how fast do some/most balancers work? I haven't see the progress that I would expect on my balancing effort today. Any input would be appreciated. I don't want to put this thing on the balancer all night long...
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 12:59 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Basher View Post
I just got a new Polyquest balancer, a cheapo model, and I am not confident that it is performing it's designated function.

I just bought my 2nd Elite 4800 2S battery, and while the first one was balanced perfectly without even using a balancer, at 3.98v per cell, the second battery, it is very imbalanced at 4.3v for one cell, and 3.98v for the other. I have had the balancer hooked up to it for hours, by itself, per instructions, and it doesn't appear to be changing the voltage difference at all.

My question is this; how fast do some/most balancers work? I haven't see the progress that I would expect on my balancing effort today. Any input would be appreciated. I don't want to put this thing on the balancer all night long...
4.3 & 3.98, is that the voltage that the cells were when they came new??

Every lipo i've purchased has had cells within 0.01V of each other.
they normally top off at 4.2 when charged.

I don't have a polyquest balancer myself, which model is it??
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:24 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

It should be noticable when watching it. A few hrs should be completed. I suspect it isn't working at all. There may be a good reason.
floogldood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 09:58 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon crawler View Post
4.3 & 3.98, is that the voltage that the cells were when they came new??

Every lipo i've purchased has had cells within 0.01V of each other.
they normally top off at 4.2 when charged.

I don't have a polyquest balancer myself, which model is it??
Yes, I was suspicious of that myself. That is brand new voltages.

Model is 510.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:06 AM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The second pack is damaged. Contact the supplier. Lipo should be charged over 4.2v/cell.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Well, I've been balancing the pack for the entire day now, and the voltages are very close to 3.9/4.0 on both cells. I guess I will contact the merchant. It didn't go so well last time I contacted, I didn't get any response. Maybe it was just a fluke, and he will respond this time.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:16 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

well the battery finally balanced out, and the balancer went into charge mode correctly. Volts are within a couple hundredths of each other, and the batter vendor says to charge it up and it should be fine.
Old 08-19-2008, 04:28 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Discharge the pack as normal, then charge it without a balancer in a safe location where fire could occur. Measure the voltages while you charge if possible, but check the pack when fully charged. If the cells are out of whack you will know it with a non-balancing recharge.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

You only want balance fully charged packs. All properly matched cells are mated together so that the high and low voltages will coincide. There may be mid-point voltage variances. Balancing a partially charged pack can cause the high and low voltages to become unbalanced.

You balanced your pack at maybe 1/2 charge so it is balanced at half capacity. Now when you charge your pack to full capacity you may get an unbalanced full charge.
Bermbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

thanks for the replies, I'm doing stuff with it now. Hopefully it will be alright, and save me the hassle of trying to get a replacement.