Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Using computer PS with a charger?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 10:22 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Using computer PS with a charger?

I'm looking for a good charger for my 3c lipo pack and would like to keep costs down as much as possible. Obviously, DC only chargers are cheaper than AC/DC, but I really want the flexibility of AC.

I've seen a couple different guys hint that they use a computer power supply instead of buying a new one. I have tons of computer PS's lying around my office which I could have, so it would save me money to buy a DC only charger then use a PS I already have.

So, what do I need to know to use a computer PS? I'm completely stupid when it comes to amps, volts, etc. Am I going to shock myself to death trying to do this, or is it no big deal?

Thanks for any help.

Devin
Devinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

I think there is a tutorial on youtube for this. If you do a search there, I'm sure you'll find it.
broncobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #3
Custom Carbon Fiber

theres a guy on Ebay selling them as R/C power supplies.

they will work, Ive used them in the past for the older chargers with nicd and nimh batteries. I dont know much about for lipo chargers but cant be much different then hooking them to a car battery.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

I have a IMAX B5 charger that I'm using, all I did was pick up a $15 converter at walmart, that converts standard 110/120 AC to 12v DC.

I love the B5, it retails for around $50 and is a really stout charger.

I'm not to sure about the computer power supply.

-Shaun
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
I have a IMAX B5 charger that I'm using, all I did was pick up a $15 converter at walmart, that converts standard 110/120 AC to 12v DC.

I love the B5, it retails for around $50 and is a really stout charger.

I'm not to sure about the computer power supply.

-Shaun
Somewhere along the line I got the impression that you need a nice, expensive converter otherwise you'll fry your charger? Is that not true? Any old converter from walmart / Radio Shack would work just fine?
Devinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Depending on your charger. Make sure you read the specs on your charger, some chargers require a certain amperage.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:51 AM   #7
support@rc4wd.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Depending on your charger. Make sure you read the specs on your charger, some chargers require a certain amperage.
Yep Say you are charging an 5000mah lipo at 5amps.

Ive used a PSU I converted a long time ago. Ill try to dig up the pics ....

Heres what ive used with no probs and have charged a 3s 5000mah lipo with it at 5amps

Last edited by roborg5000; 08-19-2008 at 11:59 AM.
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 12:30 PM   #8
goo
Rock Stacker

On that power supply in the picture look for the line that reads "yellow +12V 10A". That is stating that you could run a max of 10 amps on the 12 volt rail of the power supply (yellow wires). However, I recommend running a couple amps lower than that at max. I have a modded power supply with the same specifications and you could tell it starts to struggle when pulling 8 amps through it. Power supply quality plays a factor in that as well.

The mod is fairly simple and there are tutorials everywhere. I suggest finding a PSU with a switch on the back also so you could easily turn the device off when not in use. search google for "power supply mod" or something of the sort and you will see pages of results. Basically, there is a green wire (could be other colors) that connects to the motherboard. The motherboard uses this to tell the power supply to turn on. Cut this wire and connect it to a ground wire (typically black) and the power supply will always be on (this is where the external switch comes in handy). Then the yellow wires are your +12V, red are +5V and black wires are ground. You could wire them to posts, or whatever tickles your fancy, I wired mine to a cigarette lighter plug that I have mounted in the PSU case.

happy modding!

-Goo
goo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5680951/tm.htm
HndsWthtShdws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:38 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Hit e-bay and look for an IBM 235 Server power supply. It's a 30 Amp 560 watt PS that works great and they are cheap. I got mine for 26 bucks shipped and use it to power a Hyperion EOS0610i DUO. All you do is solder on two lead to the correct out puts and place a shunt in the correct location and Bing you've got a great and cheap PS that has plenty of power.

Jason
JAM MaxAmps.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm using an old compy power supply to run my hobbico charger. you can actually hear it struggle to push 2 amps x 2 packs when charging the emaxx, I usually charge everything else lower than that and it works great.

if it is delicate enough not to fry your computer, it should be delicate enough to not fry a charger.
hairba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

i use one with no problems at all. just make sure the 12v output has enough amps for what you want
Nish is offline   Reply With Quote