Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Radio Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 04:41 PM   #1

Thumbs down Radio Question

Kind of a newbie question but anyway - I just bought a pre-owned crawler and it came with a Futaba SkySport 4-ch. radio. I don't care for the 2-joystick setup. I have on loan 3 different pistol-grip radios to try but when I take the crystal out of the Futaba and try it in any of the others, nothing works at all. I didn't think that there was any more to it than that.

What am I missing, folks? :-(

tgeer
tgeer43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2008, 04:54 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

My guess is you have a radio in one range and a reciever in a different range. If your radio is in the 26 Mhz range it won't work if the reciever is in the 75 Mhz range. It should be labeled on both the radio and receiver what ranges they are. Also you need to make sure your not using an AM radio and an FM reciever or vice versa.
rkrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:03 AM   #3
Holmes Hobbies

Stick radio's are for aircraft 72MHz and pistol radios 75MHz are for ground so they will be different freq.also as rkrawler said,you need to make sure its am or fm.
CD13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 03:31 AM   #4

There are stick radios for ground too. Some times crystals for Traxxas will not work in a Hitec and so forth. What are you looking for in a radio?
broncobill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:42 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The Skysport radio is a aircraft radio, trust me i own one....lol you'll need to get a ground radio in either stick or pistle grip If you have to buy one I'd sujest the 2.4 style so you don't have to bother with the corrst channels.......
mudboger07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #6
RCC Addict

for the cost of admission, the Futaba 3PM FASST 2.4 is a great radio. and as long as you only need 3 channles it will do everything you need it to, and do it very well. and at 180.00 it dont break the bank.

BUT imho, if you only crawl, then a run away rc isnt an issue, so any decent 72Mhz radio will be good. i would check ebay for say a JR XS3 or XS3Pro, they can be had with a couple Rxs for under a hundren anymore.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote