Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Is the DX3R worth it?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Is the DX3R worth it?

I currently have a Futaba 3PM FASST and have had no problems but I just recently put in a DNA DIG. So I have been looking into getting the DX3R so here is a few ?

How important is it to freewheel?
I always hear of binding problems is this normal?

Thanks
str8bucs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2008, 04:00 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Free wheel option is very helpful in steep vertical climbs because the rear wheels when powered tend to make the front end lift and change not only the CG by making the front of the rig lighter which then gives you less effective front wheel traction.

Some of the first VF digs required a little message to get them shifting as smooth as possible the new ones are fine.

The DX3R is one hell of a radio for cars and trucks besides the 3 position switch it has many other easy to access and operate features you should go to Spektrum site and read the manual. The only way it could be better is if it had more channels.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

IMO it's the best radio on the market - very user friendly
Yawzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The DX3r is definitely a very nice radio, I really like mine. I'm electronically challenged, yet still find this radio extremely simple to use. The only issues I've run into with it is with the receiver. It occasionally goes into bind mode, even after you've bound it to the transmitter. It's done this to me with a few different receivers. Not sure why, maybe because I have my BEC plugged into the battery/bind slot. In any case, this is relatively rare and is fixed in a few seconds with a bind plug.

Overall, would definitely recommend this radio system.
ecoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
RCC Addict

for the money i would opt for the React from Nomadio. Its a SOLID performing radio, has TOTAL adjustability and programability, has full sensor array built in with purchase of sensors only. worksa absolutly great for a crawler, is cheaper, and finally is 4 channel so you could Dig and 4wheel steer Easily with many trigger options.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:04 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I would buy it 3 times before I'd ever even pay $5 for a Nomadio POS.

To be honest, the Futaba 4PK is better, but its just so much more money.

You can not go wrong with the DX3R...actaully it always judt works.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecoli View Post
The DX3r is definitely a very nice radio, I really like mine. I'm electronically challenged, yet still find this radio extremely simple to use. The only issues I've run into with it is with the receiver. It occasionally goes into bind mode, even after you've bound it to the transmitter. It's done this to me with a few different receivers. Not sure why, maybe because I have my BEC plugged into the battery/bind slot. In any case, this is relatively rare and is fixed in a few seconds with a bind plug.

Overall, would definitely recommend this radio system.

theres something at Spektrums site that talks exactly about this and certain model DX3r's .... might be worth checking out and see if this is why yours does it.

I have both and being a long time Futaba fan I do like them both. I would favor the DX3 a bit more though because of the freewheel if you feel the need for it.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Keep it real

Totally worth it, I love mine and use it for several different rigs
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 05:54 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

WOW...that 4PK is insanely expensive!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
RCC Addict

GREAT radio I've been using my Futaba Magnum JR for around 15 years and was a little intimadated by all the functions of the DX3R.It was EZ to learn how to use with very well written intructions that even a machinist can read and understand. I have all my RC cars stored in memory and love it for my race cars as well as my crawler. This is one product worth every penny of the price in my opinion.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:09 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
for the money i would opt for the React from Nomadio. Its a SOLID performing radio, has TOTAL adjustability and programability, has full sensor array built in with purchase of sensors only. worksa absolutly great for a crawler, is cheaper, and finally is 4 channel so you could Dig and 4wheel steer Easily with many trigger options.
I also have a Multiplex Profi 403 for my scaler which is the Radio that preceded the Normandos. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles but it has all the tuning functions of my DX3R plus 7 channels in truck mode. It's pretty darn easy to use as well. The Profi 403s are way hard to find but you could look at the Normando it's basically the same radio with some newer technology. I think personally the DX3R is the tits and it's even easier to use than my Profi 403 but it doesn't hurt to look.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #12
RCC Addict

yes yes and again yes

the dx3 would probabbly be ur best investment in your rc arsenal. since ive bought mine ive never regretted it.

and imo free wheel helps alot. whenever i see any of my wheels come up from torque twist i just go to freewheel and it pretty much rights itself on its own. ive never realized how usefull the freewheel function was untill ive used it. it also helps alot when climbing steep inclines and your front wheels start coming up and wanting to turn ur rig over.
NeXt559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Yes, the DX3R more than worth it, it does everything i need it to...and then some
I use a DX3R to control all my RCs
Trugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #14
RCC Addict

NO...i would go with a nice TQ2
emaxxjeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

TQ2 thats too funny!
Old 08-20-2008, 09:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

i ve just seen ALOT of DX3.0 and now DX3R issues. lost binds, gitching, range issues (not a major worry on crawling but other rcs its a BIG worry).

seen atleast 3 or 4 large scale rcs that took off wot into a pole, a car, and a few goups of people. again not a worry on a crawler, but a 25lb 50MPH largescale rc, its a BIG worry.

i had the DX3 and after 4 months it developed range issues at less than 100ft.

when you compare, radio ability and features to cost between the DX3R and the React, the React has it.

i think the Futabe 3PM would be a very good radio for less than both the React and the DX3R.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:09 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Personally I love my DX3R! It is super easy to program and tinker with.
Lumpmister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:17 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Yes
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 10:46 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
i ve just seen ALOT of DX3.0 and now DX3R issues. lost binds, gitching, range issues (not a major worry on crawling but other rcs its a BIG worry).

seen atleast 3 or 4 large scale rcs that took off wot into a pole, a car, and a few goups of people. again not a worry on a crawler, but a 25lb 50MPH largescale rc, its a BIG worry.

i had the DX3 and after 4 months it developed range issues at less than 100ft.

when you compare, radio ability and features to cost between the DX3R and the React, the React has it.

i think the Futabe 3PM would be a very good radio for less than both the React and the DX3R.
what?? I have the R and I have 9 models hooked to it. I have not one moment of arbitrary action associated with it.
Master Basher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:29 PM   #20
RCC Addict

if you look around at various forums. you ll find the occasional (not overwhelling amounts) of post on issues with them.

quite a few members over on HBF, LSF, RCU, and even RCGroups (surface users) have had some bad issues with them.
maybe being used with a gas/ingition/sparkplug motor is part of the causes. but it shouldnt be really.

one users got his, and only had 20 to 50 ft of distance and its kicking into failsafe, while his buddy whos right next to him has no issues at all.

seems kind of hit and miss.

ive seen a good number of people (most being knowledgeable RCers) have full runaways with the DX3 and DX3.0, and a few on the 3R as well.

any radio/user can have issues, but it seems much more common on the specky units for some reason. only stating my personal experiences, and some of the experiences other large scalers i know have had.

but its safe to say, ive seen alot of folks using them all without any issues. so.......