Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What radio do you suggest.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default What radio do you suggest.

I am sure this question has come up many times but with new products coming out and others being discontinued I am asking again.

I want to upgrade to a radio that requires no crystal, digital I believe they are. I have 4 rc vehicles both battery and Nitro I want to use the same radio on. What do you all suggest for a good, cheap start? I do not need dig or rear stear but tranny shift would be nice.

Thanks for the suggestions.
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

DX3R, spend the money once wisely and never spend again.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:31 AM   #3
support@rc4wd.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
DX3R, spend the money once wisely and never spend again.
x2 Thats what i have, and have been very happy. I have had a couple issues with binding but, wont complain
roborg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I agree that looks like a very nice radio but I just can't afford that right now. I am looking to stay in around $100-$150 price range. I am sure thats asking a lot for what I want.
Old 09-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Personally if I could afford the $150 price range, I would just hold off a little longer and save up the other $150 to get the DX3R. I myself had to question spending that kinda $ on a radio until I finally broke down and hit the buy button one day. I've since bought another one because sometimes other people drive my trucks with me, and I'm actually about to buy one more. From there on out all I will ever have to buy again will be recievers for new vehicles. After owning one and experiencing the performance, I have never questioned the expense.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I agree, I really do. I may have to pull some stuff out of one crawler to go into another I am building for testing and just deal with. It seams unanimous to go with the DX3R.

Thanks for all the help everyone
Old 09-04-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Just my .02

But I have been running R/C's for a little over a year now, the trucks are adding up and I decided to upgrade to non-crystal myself. Having multiple trucks and a Grandson that like to run with me, the thought of brand new DX3R for each of us was more than I could afford.

With careful shopping we have put together a Spektrum DX2 and a Spektrum DX3 radio set with 3 receivers and 4 Z590 servos for less than $150 each. This gets all 4 of our trucks up and running and we can expand in the future.

My only advice would be to go to Spektrums site and know the differences between the DX2 and the DX2.0 as well as DX3 and DX3.0 then choose your weapon...

Hope this helps...
Prostreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:01 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostreet View Post
Just my .02

But I have been running R/C's for a little over a year now, the trucks are adding up and I decided to upgrade to non-crystal myself. Having multiple trucks and a Grandson that like to run with me, the thought of brand new DX3R for each of us was more than I could afford.

With careful shopping we have put together a Spektrum DX2 and a Spektrum DX3 radio set with 3 receivers and 4 Z590 servos for less than $150 each. This gets all 4 of our trucks up and running and we can expand in the future.

My only advice would be to go to Spektrums site and know the differences between the DX2 and the DX2.0 as well as DX3 and DX3.0 then choose your weapon...

Hope this helps...
WOW, I have found a DX3.0 w/ one receiver and both the servos for $150. Cheapest so far. I will keep looking.
Old 09-04-2008, 10:24 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Definately get a radio with EPAs. Also if you ever want to run a dig with 4wd / free wheel / lock you need a three position 3rd channel. For spektrum, a dx3r and dx3 (not dx3.0) will have these options. Other radios will have this as well but I gave you a starting point. If the crawler is for tooling around in the back yard then a cheap radio will be your best bet.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 11:27 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

futaba fasst 3pm, I like it, $160 no servo's,
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:22 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33pownr View Post
Definately get a radio with EPAs. Also if you ever want to run a dig with 4wd / free wheel / lock you need a three position 3rd channel. For spektrum, a dx3r and dx3 (not dx3.0) will have these options. Other radios will have this as well but I gave you a starting point. If the crawler is for tooling around in the back yard then a cheap radio will be your best bet.
So is the 3 position 3rd ch. the only dif between the 2 you mentioned and the DX3.0?
Old 09-04-2008, 12:53 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Not entirely. The dx3r supposedly has a faster response but when crawling that dont matter. It also has settings for using digital servos and analog servos. Weight is also a factor (difference between 4AA onthe dx3r and 8AA in the dx3 & dx3.0) If you have a pansy left arm you might wear out after a week of solid use (so not a biggie for most) The dx3r has an lcd display that pretty big and you can see alot of settings with just a glance (2"x2" screen) where the others have a 1'x1.5". Oh and you can add your name on the screen of the dx3r to claim its your own. This comes in handy when 8 guys have dx3rs all the same color in pristene condition and no way to tell whos whos. Its mostly minor in my opinion although I want to get rid of my dx3.0 for the nicer dx3r but I just cant afford it.
j33pownr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:58 PM   #13
RCC Addict

I have a JR XS3 Pro that has served me well over the past two years. It is a crystal free setup. Bought a used Futaba 3PM FM radio & R303FS Synth for $100 from an employee of one of my LHS's I deal with. Which I ended up using for a Micro RS4 that my girlfriend was going to use.

Now i'm currently sporting the DX3r. The only issue I have had with it, was a buzzing noise from the front of the controller. Which after a 2 minute chat w/ the tech @ Spektrum, its normal. Otherwise its a great controller and its light and easy to use.

A friend of mine has a DX3r and has maxed out the model usage of it..ROFL!. I think he has upwards of 9-10 crawlers alone..?

If bashing alone or with a few friends, FM would be really all you need. If you are going to get into comps, spektrumize your rig.

Nerve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 12:59 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Go to the Spektrum site and you will see all the differences, but they also use different receivers. So you have to be aware of which ones are compatible and stick with that technology.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM   #15
RCC Addict

for the cost, grab a React. 4 chnl and 260 for the unit and one rx. 80.00 each additional rx. the futaba 3PM FASST unit is also very nice for 180 and one rx. 100.00 each additional rx

the DX3R is a nice radio, but in the large scale gasser arena, ive seen about 1/2 the folks that have one, are now selling it as they have been haveing a high amount of glitching issues, losing binds, run aways (not good wiht a 25 plus lb rc moving 40 to 50 mph).

for the cost it SHOULDNt have the issues it is, and if you call specky on it (horizon hobby) they ll tell you there have been NO ISSUES at all, which isnt true at all. admit there is a problem with Some units and fix them up.

one guy bought it and 3 additional RXs only to have 2 of the rx never bind, and the other 2 lose bind. one causing aroudn 400.00 in damage as a result of the runaway. for nearly 400.00 it shouldnt be any probs imo.

i know alot of you guys are Speky fans. but in the last 3 yrs, ive seen SO MANY, my specky is messing up threads, or my runaway on a specky, i just wouldnt chance it. benefit of crawling, if you do have a runaway, in most cases you can still walk over to pick it up.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

i was in the same boat as you about a week ago......i wasn't sure what kind of radio i wanted. I bought a used Futaba 3pj super i believe and was very happy with it, then i finally broke and bought a DX3R, and don't regret it one bit! this thing has so many features, and from now on all i have to do is buy receivers for new rc's.

Now i am in no way saying that there won't be one better than this, cause everyone has their own opinions, and i'm sure someone will come up with something new in the future.....

boost
boost_aholic97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 01:56 PM   #17
RCC Addict

I just don't see me needed all the features of the DX3 or DX3R. Having more programs in memory would be nice but here in Wisconsin I don't see myself getting into comps so no dig or anything like that. About the most I could see would be a 3 speed tranny or winch some time in the future. Right now I pretty much go alone as the GF is just not into the whole woods thing and I only have my kids every other weekend so time with them is spent in other ways. I just cant see spending the $300 plus on a radio when that would get me another scaler project.

I'm kinda leaning toward a DX3.0 right now. Seems like a good radio. I have found one with 2 receivers and both the servos for $150.

I'll think about it some more.........decisions decisions.
Old 09-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

Something to keep in mind though since you've mentioned you wont be needing dig, but would like to be able to shift a 3 speed transmission, you're basically gonna need the same capabilities from your radio in order to do that.

From the sound of it though you could definately find a cheaper radio for what you're wanting, but keep it in the back of your mind that if you ever do bite the bullet and buy a DX3R you will wonder why you hadn't already done it sooner. I have 2 now and will soon have a third, so that means from there on out I will only have to buy receivers, and I will have enough radios for 90 different r/c vehicles. I think I'm going to use that as an excuse to get more r/c vehicles.
MCSCOTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

OK, I think you are on the right track. DX3.0 now, then in a year or so dump it on eBay for the same amount and upgrade then...

That's my plan...
Old 09-04-2008, 09:54 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

The only things I dont like about my futaba 3pm is.........
No 3 position 3rd channel :-(
and the damn blue led light is freakin blinding even at the lowest settings!
Other then that I am very happy with it,my LHS was selling them for internet price $160 + tax,and getting a lipo pack for any TX that uses 8 AA, is a must!
Joat is offline   Reply With Quote