Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: tekin 55t handwound motor?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2008, 04:38 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default tekin 55t handwound motor?

I just picked up a tekin fxr and ended up getting the "pro" combo with the tekin 55t handwound motor cause the price difference was like 25 bucks over the esc alone. Has anyone tried one of these motors yet? I might as well give it a try I guess. But I usually favor motors around 35-45t over the 55t.
dankycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Ok, after re-reading your post, I evidently missed the handwound part, and no I don't have any experience with those.. But I'll leave my previous post just because you mentioned the esc also..

Yep, I have two rigs running the Tekin 55t motors, and one of them running a Tekin esc and motor combo. The esc and motor rig I have is my berg, so I actually have two motors on the esc if you want to be technical about it. But... I absolutely LOVE Tekin's esc and motors. You made a good purchase I promise I'd also suggest the hotwire so you can fine tune your setup on the computer. Sure you can use the button interface on the esc itself, but you can be much more precise with the hotwire. I had pretty good wheelspeed and unbelievable control out of them while running a 11.1v 12.5C lipo, and just upped my battery to a 11.1V 20C lipo today and WOW!!.. I have every bit of control as I did before and 2-3x the wheelspeed. The control is much more precise than the Integy motor I started out with. You can't ever go wrong with Tekins stuff man.. all my stuff will be Tekin from now on ;)

Last edited by HomerJ; 09-09-2008 at 06:27 PM.
HomerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:39 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

huh ... well thats good to hear... Ill be running a pretty similar setup a 20c 11.1 lipo ..any gearing recomendations? Ones that might have worked well for you with this motor? Im either going to run it through a r2d or maybe pick up a axial tranny w/ dig unit of some sort.
dankycrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM   #4
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankycrawler View Post
huh ... well thats good to hear... Ill be running a pretty similar setup a 20c 11.1 lipo ..any gearing recomendations? Ones that might have worked well for you with this motor? Im either going to run it through a r2d or maybe pick up a axial tranny w/ dig unit of some sort.

The R2 trannies are geared to low IMHO. You gotta gear up big time and volt up to get any good wheelspeed. Not really the stoutest trannies either. I ran a Crawlmaster on 8 cells through an R2 with an 18t pinion. Great power and decent speed....probably would have been much better on a 3 cell though. The taller gearing did cause a little more cogging than I'd like to see. I do feel the Axial trannies are better. Wider range of gearing options and with CDW outputs and metal gears inside the tranny,they are very stout trannies. Been beating the snot out of one in my super class rig all year with great results. I've shredded a few spurs but thats really about it.

I personally like a bit more wheelspeed than most and run a 35t handwound geared 18/81 in my Axial. It's not a Cobalt puller,but a VERY good compromise. In my sons Axial,we're running a 55t that I wound geared 17/87. Although it's a touch slow for me,it does seem to work nice. Both rigs are running 3 cell lipo's also.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:12 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

The Tekin motors are great handwounds. Wound, dynamically balanced, and epoxied in the USA .
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

I am running the Tekin handwounds in my Berg with the fxr esc and I like them alot,they have a very smooth feel to them when compared to the novak 55's that were in it before.
doubledub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 09:45 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

tekin is really good...
i HEARD NOT sure but tekin is coming out with 35-45 turn ESC/motor combos

and I got a question...
why do people need good speed controls like tekin fxr and stuff if they don't need lipo cutoff?
the standard ESC from axial works great for me....
SDBigBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

There is more throttle resolution and features on a nice ESC. Drag brake is one feature, as well as throttle curves and other controls.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 01:05 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Tekin makes GOOD products.

The ESC is good because it is extremely precise and you can tune in your settings to high a level of precision. It is also small to make mounting easier.
Dynamic^Cipher is offline   Reply With Quote