Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Loss of power and glitching

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #1

Default Loss of power and glitching

I just installed a Novak Rooster crawler ESC, and an Airtronics MX-3 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver. It was very easy to program, and everything seemed to be working good. I went out to test it on a couple easy rocks, and then tested it on a couple harder rocks. Well I was going up a steep incline that I had done before, and as soon as it started climbing it started acting like the battery was dying, but it had brand new batteries in the transmitter and a freshly charged pack. I noticed my battery pack 1600 NiMH was a little hot. Then it started glitching really bad so I turned it off. When i went to turn it back on there was a very long delay and then worked for a second and then glitching again?!?!

I went through the ESC, and radio troubleshooting tips to no avail. When the truck is in small binds it just gives up. It's frustrating when the fiances rig (which is all my old parts) walks over everything I can't do anymore :-(

Any help is appreciated
Rokbitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokbitr View Post
I just installed a Novak Rooster crawler ESC, and an Airtronics MX-3 2.4ghz transmitter and receiver. It was very easy to program, and everything seemed to be working good. I went out to test it on a couple easy rocks, and then tested it on a couple harder rocks. Well I was going up a steep incline that I had done before, and as soon as it started climbing it started acting like the battery was dying, but it had brand new batteries in the transmitter and a freshly charged pack. I noticed my battery pack 1600 NiMH was a little hot. Then it started glitching really bad so I turned it off. When i went to turn it back on there was a very long delay and then worked for a second and then glitching again?!?!

I went through the ESC, and radio troubleshooting tips to no avail. When the truck is in small binds it just gives up. It's frustrating when the fiances rig (which is all my old parts) walks over everything I can't do anymore :-(

Any help is appreciated
If it's glitching and "acting like the battery was dying" that means the rooster is seeing a low voltage, this could be confirmed with a meter but isn't needed. The low voltages where occuring during steep climbs and
binds, these are high current draw situations. If your batteries are up to delivering higher currents without dropping output voltage then the problem may be a connector or wiring between the batt and esc but you did mention that the battery was getting hot which means it was more than likley a battery that can't keep the required voltage up to the esc.
What batterys are they? how old and how many cycles? have they been fast charged? were they trickle charged for the first few cycles during run in?
oberon crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 04:04 PM   #3

It's just an inexpensive NiMH from the LHS. I think you just confirmed that I need to go lipo power. I think deans would be good too.

Last edited by Rokbitr; 09-22-2008 at 04:06 PM.
Rokbitr is offline   Reply With Quote